Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UND 2017-2018 Season Thread

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Are there recruits he was after that he didn't get that you wanted? Where there recruits he didn't go after that you wanted? It's easy to say the recruits are weak now that the results didn't meet your expectations.
    I'm not that much in tune with who they should recruit, and it's not a matter of meeting my expectations. It's rare that UND doesn't have a #1 NHL draft choice and they don't this year and it looks like they won't next year. The results speak for themselves.
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
      I'm not that much in tune with who they should recruit, and it's not a matter of meeting my expectations. It's rare that UND doesn't have a #1 NHL draft choice and they don't this year and it looks like they won't next year. The results speak for themselves.
      We didn't have a first round pick on the team during the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons. Appeared in the NCAAs all three years, one Frozen Four, one regular season title, one league tournament title.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Boeser with 2 more goals last night. Now at 29 for the season. Leads all rookies in goals. Oh what could of been.
        Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
          Boeser with 2 more goals last night. Now at 29 for the season. Leads all rookies in goals. Oh what could of been.
          No question he would have added a great deal, but he'd have been awfully frustrated playing with this team, IMO. The team doesn't have the talent to draw defenses away from him and not too many who can set him up like they are doing in Vancouver.

But yeah, it would sure help to have a true sniper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goon View Post
            No one said that but Berry recruited many of them. To now suggest that Berry can’t evaluate talent in assinine.
            It's not about evaluating talent it's about coaching the talent that you pull in. Hak was a great coach, he got his players to fight for every inch of ice. Berry is going on two year of his players giving up on him during the end of the season. You could pull in 5 1st round picks and still lose because of ****ty coaching

Comment

Originally posted by Sioux-perDrunk View Post
              It's not about evaluating talent it's about coaching the talent that you pull in. Hak was a great coach, he got his players to fight for every inch of ice. Berry is going on two year of his players giving up on him during the end of the season. You could pull in 5 1st round picks and still lose because of ****ty coaching
              I'll agree with you that Hak was a great coach and got everything out of his players. I would also even agree that Hak got more out of his teams than almost any other coach. However, I completely disagree that the players have given up on Berry. Last night might have been the most effort this squad has given all season long, and I anticipate them coming out strong again tonight. If you want to criticize Berry, the better argument would be that this year's squad plays to the level of the competition (good or bad).

As for last season, we must have watched different games at the end of the season. I remember North Dakota giving every ounce against Denver in shocking the #1 team and eventual national champion in the NCHC Semifinals, then nearly knocking off the #2 team in the country in the championship. Then, North Dakota was down 3-1 against a star-studded BU squad in the third. If a team was going to give up on their coach...well, that would have been a pretty good time to do so. Did they? No. They rallied, and arguably should have won that game in overtime.

I get that people are upset that this season has not turned out as we were hoping, but don't make **** up to make you feel better about the disappointments. To me, the bigger issue is the massive amount of talent we have lost to early departures the last two offseasons. Just think, this squad could have Nick Schmaltz, Brock Boeser, Tyson Jost, and Tucker Poolman still on the roster. That's probably worth a good 1.5-2 goals/game.
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                We didn't have a first round pick on the team during the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons. Appeared in the NCAAs all three years, one Frozen Four, one regular season title, one league tournament title.
                That's incorrect for 2008 and 2009.

2008: T.J. Oshie and Joe Finley were on the team (along with Taylor Chorney, who was an early 2nd Rounder).
                2009: Joe Finley was on the team.

I don't believe we had a first rounder in 2010.
                North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  I'll agree with you that Hak was a great coach and got everything out of his players. I would also even agree that Hak got more out of his teams than almost any other coach. However, I completely disagree that the players have given up on Berry. Last night might have been the most effort this squad has given all season long, and I anticipate them coming out strong again tonight. If you want to criticize Berry, the better argument would be that this year's squad plays to the level of the competition (good or bad).

As for last season, we must have watched different games at the end of the season. I remember North Dakota giving every ounce against Denver in shocking the #1 team and eventual national champion in the NCHC Semifinals, then nearly knocking off the #2 team in the country in the championship. Then, North Dakota was down 3-1 against a star-studded BU squad in the third. If a team was going to give up on their coach...well, that would have been a pretty good time to do so. Did they? No. They rallied, and arguably should have won that game in overtime.

I get that people are upset that this season has not turned out as we were hoping, but don't make **** up to make you feel better about the disappointments. To me, the bigger issue is the massive amount of talent we have lost to early departures the last two offseasons. Just think, this squad could have Nick Schmaltz, Brock Boeser, Tyson Jost, and Tucker Poolman still on the roster. That's probably worth a good 1.5-2 goals/game.
                  Well your argument doesnt really sit well with me because I remember the season differently. I remember having an up and down regular season in which we would lose 4 times to Duluth(oh sorry 5 with the nchc championship loss), a lose and a tie to Minnesota, a lose and a tie to Denver, 3 loses to Western, and a lose and a tie against Michigan State. Then we lost in the first game of the NCAA tournament. The end of their season was a disappointment saying anything esle is bogus. Now this year the second half has been incredibly bad and we have a slim chance of make the NCAA tournament. So ya I am disappointed with this year but it's not talent we are lacking even with losing the players we have. It's how sloppy and lazy they have been playing. Last night was a hard fought game and they played good but big mistakes cost us that game and ones that shouldn't happen. To me that's more coaching mistakes. Plus how much he plays Johnny Simonson is a clear indicator that he doesn't now what he's doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sioux-perDrunk View Post
                    Well your argument doesnt really sit well with me because I remember the season differently. I remember having an up and down regular season in which we would lose 4 times to Duluth(oh sorry 5 with the nchc championship loss), a lose and a tie to Minnesota, a lose and a tie to Denver, 3 loses to Western, and a lose and a tie against Michigan State. Then we lost in the first game of the NCAA tournament. The end of their season was a disappointment saying anything esle is bogus. Now this year the second half has been incredibly bad and we have a slim chance of make the NCAA tournament. So ya I am disappointed with this year but it's not talent we are lacking even with losing the players we have. It's how sloppy and lazy they have been playing. Last night was a hard fought game and they played good but big mistakes cost us that game and ones that shouldn't happen. To me that's more coaching mistakes. Plus how much he plays Johnny Simonson is a clear indicator that he doesn't now what he's doing.
                    Yes, we lost to some very good teams last season. Denver and Duluth were two of the better teams in the last quarter century of college hockey. Minnesota was a #1 seed, and Western made the NCAA Tournament. The results against Michigan State were disappointing for sure, but even the Hrkac Circus lost to U.S. International...at a time when the spread between the "haves" and "have nots" in college hockey was significantly more pronounced than today. The end of the season was surely a disappointment...it always is when you lose your last (meaningful) game. But the players did not give up on a Berry.

So, you are on the record for wanting to fire Brad Berry?
                    North Dakota

Comment

Yes, we lost to some very good teams last season. Denver and Duluth were two of the better teams in the last quarter century of college hockey. Minnesota was a #1 seed, and Western made the NCAA Tournament. The results against Michigan State were disappointing for sure, but even the Hrkac Circus lost to U.S. International...at a time when the spread between the "haves" and "have nots" in college hockey was significantly more pronounced than today. The end of the season was surely a disappointment...it always is when you lose your last (meaningful) game. But the players did not give up on a Berry.

So, you are on the record for wanting to fire Brad Berry?
                      I believe they did and are this year. Hopefully he can pull it around I'm definitely cheering for them.

Yes I do want them to fire Berry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sioux-perDrunk View Post
                        I believe they did and are this year. Hopefully he can pull it around I'm definitely cheering for them.

Yes I do want them to fire Berry.
                        Well, your name suits you well then.

Who would be your replacement?
                        North Dakota

Comment

Well, your name suits you well then.

Who would be your replacement?
                          It will at tonight's game!

The replacement is the tough part I have no idea who would be a good fit but I don't like what a see from his teams because they have the talent to be alot better then they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sioux-perDrunk View Post
                            It will at tonight's game!

The replacement is the tough part I have no idea who would be a good fit but I don't like what a see from his teams because they have the talent to be alot better then they are.
                            Replace him with Troy Jutting.
                            Originally posted by SJHovey
                            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                            Originally posted by Brenthoven
                            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Looks like I have a date at the Ralph. UND ties SCSU for the 1 point they needed to host a playoff against Omaha
                              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by icehawk View Post
                                Looks like I have a date at the Ralph. UND ties SCSU for the 1 point they needed to host a playoff against Omaha
                                They need to sweep Omaha and then win 1 of 2 in St. Paul. That should be enough to get in the NCAA Tournament. I don't necessarily like their chances to do that, but better odds to do that at home in the first round than on the road.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X