Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017-18 Minnesota State Mavericks: Season Thread

Because someone had to start one.

Questions - Will one of our goalies seize the net this year and make it his? Will some of the freshman be able to make the leap this year? Will our early start be "that which kills us" or "that which doesn't kill us and makes us stronger"?

Bring on the season!

Re: 2017-18 Minnesota State Mavericks: Season Thread

Looking forward to the first glimpse Sunday evening!
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

An easy win. The new airport-style security is likely to be an absolute nightmare with a big crowd. It caused lines tonight, and it was a very small turnout.
      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
        An easy win. The new airport-style security is likely to be an absolute nightmare with a big crowd. It caused lines tonight, and it was a very small turnout.
        I got scanned, and there were beeps all over the place. Then the security guy said, "Oh yeah. You should empty your pockets first. I haven't done this before." This is gonna be great!

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
          Lets do some math on this.

I believe that there are 3 entrances to the building, 1 (line) from the hotel, 2 (lines) from outside, and 3 (lines) from inside the building. Assuming 4800 people attending, an average of 800 would enter from each entrance (line). Assuming it takes 15 seconds to do this searching pockets, caps, purses, bags, etc. it will take 200 minutes (3+ hours to get everyone inside the building. I believe that you cannot get into the arena until one hour before face off. Thus, many people will not be able to get in until the 3rd period.

Gonna be a lot of unhappy people.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
            Lets do some math on this.

Gonna be a lot of unhappy people.
            Oh but there will be happy Husky fans when the game ends :-).

Comment

Why was there a security change? Were they afraid that they'd steal the crappy ice?

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                Why was there a security change? Were they afraid that they'd steal the crappy ice?

GFM
                It's just a typical upgrade. They are sending everyone. My guess is that it won't be that bad once they get trained up. They did pat downs last year, now they just won't have to feel people up.
                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

As I predicted, people wouldn't get in until the 2nd intermission. So what do they do. They quit scanning people at game time, and just let everyone in. I talked to a number of people who waited 20 to 30 minutes to get in, and I'm guessing some waited much longer. Absolutely ridiculous. They don't ask you ahead of time to take off your belt, belt buckles set the scanning wand off.

Comment

Now as far as hockey goes, if we play this well for the rest of the season, we will do just fine (assuming we can score goals). In my opinion, we outplayed St. Cloud, however St. Cloud took advantage of opportunities and we did not.

On to Boston. I will be leaving tomorrow on the long road trip. Hope the Mavs do us proud in Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
                      Now as far as hockey goes, if we play this well for the rest of the season, we will do just fine (assuming we can score goals). In my opinion, we outplayed St. Cloud, however St. Cloud took advantage of opportunities and we did not.

On to Boston. I will be leaving tomorrow on the long road trip. Hope the Mavs do us proud in Boston.
                      If our leaders can't hit a net, it doesn't matter how much we putplay other teams. I'm still optimistic about the season, but I, personally, thought their performance was dreadful.
                      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

I think you all might be interested in this..

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...niversity.html

just stay out of the box.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                          If our leaders can't hit a net, it doesn't matter how much we putplay other teams. I'm still optimistic about the season, but I, personally, thought their performance was dreadful.
                          I'll split the difference and go somewhere between "we played well," and "we were dreadful." The problem with looking at SOGs (and this -I hate to say it- reminds me of the 2015-2016 season) is where they're coming from, and who's taking them. Our D outshot theirs 11-6, but our top line was outshot by their top line. Sure, our 3rd line got a lot of shots, but when you're getting down to that skill level, it takes a lot more shots to get goals. They had really good people shooting from in close. We didn't. I hate to spout the old cliche, but there's a reason it got to be an old cliche - Our best players have to be our best players. Especially this weekend.

Speaking of which, we're flying into Boston Friday! Is there a Mav meetup anywhere?

Comment

Nice win Mavericks! Turning out to be a nice night for the WCHA!
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Good job, Mavs!

Comment

Working...
                              X