Colgate 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2017-18

I like the fact that we have a tough weekend ahead. It allows us to have a big win before UCONN and Army, and although nothing is guaranteed there, they are easier games. We get another chance at a quality win and this one would be on the road, non conference game.
    Last edited by red133883; 11-21-2017, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
      .... I know.we're winning more than we're losing, morale is high, and even the stunning Class of 1965 Arena earns LEED Gold Certification! We also have a President and VP who value athletics. It is a remarkable season and students/fans need to get out and support the players, coaches, and the University. Congrats to all at Colgate who make this possible. There is much maroon pride to go around.
      I attended Colgate's national championship hockey game against Wisconsin in Detroit's Joe Louis Arena in 1990. It was special! As a '69 alum, I've followed Colgate's evolution in athletics pretty closely over the years and have developed a nose for watershed events. That's why the blogging I started two seasons ago about the mult-year turnaround in WIH grabbed me as being so significant. By coincidence, this was happening at the same time as the '65 Arena was being unveiled.
      *******https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/colg...3.html********

I also agree with everything you're saying in your post about this special environment for Colgate athletics. That said, I think the combination of the turnaround/growing national awareness of 'gate WIH and the draw of the new '65 Arena is especially significant. The combo potentially distinguishes this moment from other significant Colgate athletic splashes on the national scene. It's because this may not be a one-off situation, as Colgate splashes usually become. There is a potential for the buzz to grow beyond the initial national splash. This combo has already transformed WIH's next 2 recruiting classes to echelons, never thought accessible by Colgate. The tangible commitment to excellence symbolized by the '65 Arena, the evolution into outstanding team performance and the Colgate University draw can do the same for MIH. This is a special moment.
      Last edited by Raider Archivist; 11-21-2017, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Our hockey rink just got recognized ... for environmental success!
        http://news.colgate.edu/2017/11/clas...fication.html/
        Colgate '09

Comment

Split on the w/e but moved up to #18 in the USCHO rankings. Dropped to #21 in the PWR.

Off topic: Kudos to mens soccer beating UMASS, 2-0 and Michigan, 2-1 in their first two games of the NCAA playoffs. Welcome to the Sweet 16. Next up: Louisville on Sunday. History is being made.
          Last edited by ColSkate65; 11-21-2017, 08:51 AM.
          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

FWIW 'Gate topped Michigan 3-2...hope the magic continues.

http://www.mgoblue.com/news/2017/11/...o-colgate.aspx
            C O L G A T E
            2023 ECAC CHAMPION
            1990 NCAA FINALS
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
            ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
            ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I attended tonight's Cornell 5-4 win over Niagara (after being behind to the Purple Eagles 3-1 at Lynah, no less) and, on the drive home, it dawned on me that officials aren't calling the number of penalties that they did last year. I can't remember what they called the penalties in general, by they broke up the flow of the game and it was happening in all leagues (certainly the NCHC, which I saw on a regular basis). I think all the leagues' officials decided to enforce certain penalties last year, and it caused a controversy in college hockey. My question is... did the leagues' officials consciously decide to go back to the way things were, pre-2016-17? Has anyone heard how and why that turned around? Mind you, I'm glad it did.

Comment

Great point Iowa, I have been watching our PIM's going down as the year progresses, thought maybe the players were finally getting it. I was not aware of a "trend" but I'm with you, more flow is great for the game.

Somehow overnight we jumped up three spots in the PWR and are tied at #18 with Ohio State. Clarkson jumped to tied for #1, and Cornell tied for #4 with Western Michigan. Brown beating Holy Cross maybe flipped some comparisons with the AHA, or Conn vs Vt flipped some ? Not sure.

We are third in goals against, behind Cornell and Clarkson nationally, our goals for is way down in the lower half. We're scoring by committee has worked so far, Mcmann has six goals and six assists for twelve points and about six posts. He's really coming into his own and I'm still predicting a breakout year for him. We need to score more, the PP has gone two for three in two games recently from a dismal start when it was at 6% (around 15% now). Been a great start, tough tough weekend against #4PWR Western Michigan this weekend, hoping for a split.
                Looks like pay per view for the weekend games.
                Everyone stay on board and Have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving !
                Last edited by sshablak; 11-22-2017, 08:17 AM.
                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Lawson Arena in Kazoo is a very tough venue for visitors (but a fun one for fans). I have visited there three times in the past and they were all positive experiences as a college hockey fan.
                  The Broncos are 7-1-1 at home this year. I have a great deal of respect for coach Andy Murray and what he has done there in recent seasons.
                  It wasn't that long ago that Western Michigan was an NCHC cellar dweller.
                  I think it was the year that Omaha went to the Frozen Four under coach Dean Blais that the Mavericks went in there, got swept, and wished that they could take those two games back.
                  And didn't Denver just go in there and get swept, too?
                  There is no shame in losing at Lawson. A split for Colgate would be HUGE. A sweep by 'Gate would be nothing short of miraculous.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                    Lawson Arena in Kazoo is a very tough venue for visitors (but a fun one for fans). I have visited there three times in the past and they were all positive experiences as a college hockey fan.
                    The Broncos are 7-1-1 at home this year. I have a great deal of respect for coach Andy Murray and what he has done there in recent seasons.
                    I think it was the year that Omaha went to the Frozen Four under coach Dean Blais that the Mavericks went in there, got swept, and wished that they could take those two games back.
                    There is no shame in losing at Lawson. A split for Colgate would be HUGE. A sweep by 'Gate would be nothing short of miraculous.
                    Did he coach NHL ?

BTW...I thought I was a huge college hockey fan, you dwarf me. Curious...what's your history, player, coach, writer ? You've been to many venues.
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                      The loss and the tie were both against Clarkson back in October
                      Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                      Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
                        The loss and the tie were both against Clarkson back in October
                        drshoen = I forgot that fact. Thanks! Just continues to prove (to me) that Clarkson is the real deal this season.

sshablak - I am passionate about short-track auto racing in the summer (379 tracks total) and college hockey in the winter (60+ rinks total). I just moved to Owego, N.Y., from 28 years in Knoxville, Iowa.
                        My list of hockey rinks (games watched at) is at:
                        http://www.roamingtherinks.com/tom-schmeh
                        The list is somewhat complete, but lacks the old DECC arena in Duluth, Lynah in Ithaca (last night), and mid-Eighties NHL arenas in St. Louis, Chicago and Bloomington (Minn.).
                        I had two brothers that went to Colgate, one in the early Sixties and one in the late Sixties. 'Gate has always been my fave team, followed by Omaha (and then anyone other than Cornell, North Dakota, and Michigan). My priority number for the Frozen Four is 16 (of 20), but, for whatever reason, the NCAA does not give me credit for Providence in 2000 (which would make my number 17). I did not go to Anaheim 1999 (hockey does not belong in the Deep South; have since mellowed with age and love Tampa), Albany 2001 (went to Europe and saw Esa Tikkanen play for Essen Moskitos), and Detroit 2010 (national championship should not be played on temporary ice rink). I would have gone to Western Michigan this coming weekend if I had known someone that would have gone with me. Instead, I will see Michigan State at Penn State both Friday and Saturday. Still looking for companions for UConn and Army (West Point). I did go to New Hampshire for our series, which was Point-less.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                          Great point Iowa, I have been watching our PIM's going down as the year progresses, thought maybe the players were finally getting it. I was not aware of a "trend" but I'm with you, more flow is great for the game.

Somehow overnight we jumped up three spots in the PWR and are tied at #18 with Ohio State. Clarkson jumped to tied for #1, and Cornell tied for #4 with Western Michigan. Brown beating Holy Cross maybe flipped some comparisons with the AHA, or Conn vs Vt flipped some ? Not sure.

We are third in goals against, behind Cornell and Clarkson nationally, our goals for is way down in the lower half. We're scoring by committee has worked so far, Mcmann has six goals and six assists for twelve points and about six posts. He's really coming into his own and I'm still predicting a breakout year for him. We need to score more, the PP has gone two for three in two games recently from a dismal start when it was at 6% (around 15% now). Been a great start, tough tough weekend against #4PWR Western Michigan this weekend, hoping for a split.
                          Looks like pay per view for the weekend games.
                          Everyone stay on board and Have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving !
                          sshablak -

Will any Colgate fans be making the trip to Kalamazoo? Lawson can be a very loud and difficult venue for visitors..............as Denver can well attest. Going in to this season I was concerned if we would have enough offense. We lost our top five scorers from last year - one to graduation the others to early signings. I have been pleasantly surprised at the contributions of the freshman and a stepping up from the others. At times our offense has been explosive and goals seem to come in clumps.

I'm looking forward to seeing Colgate. Looks like you are having a pretty good start. Students are on break so arena will be quieter tonight. We need to keep it going to maintain our pairwise rating and creep up in the rankings. Next weekend will be the big test since we are playing 2 at NoDak and do not have them in Kalamazoo this season. on the other hand, we took two from Denver here and do not travel there this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarisland View Post
                            sshablak -

Will any Colgate fans be making the trip to Kalamazoo? Lawson can be a very loud and difficult venue for visitors..............as Denver can well attest. Going in to this season I was concerned if we would have enough offense. We lost our top five scorers from last year - one to graduation the others to early signings. I have been pleasantly surprised at the contributions of the freshman and a stepping up from the others. At times our offense has been explosive and goals seem to come in clumps.

I'm looking forward to seeing Colgate. Looks like you are having a pretty good start. Students are on break so arena will be quieter tonight. We need to keep it going to maintain our pairwise rating and creep up in the rankings. Next weekend will be the big test since we are playing 2 at NoDak and do not have them in Kalamazoo this season. on the other hand, we took two from Denver here and do not travel there this season.
                            Sugar - Don't know of anyone offhand making the trip to Kazoo. It's a bridge too far for me. Looking forward to seeing how 'Gate stacks up against Western Michigan this weeekend. Since students are away, you never know how this might affect a team's performance. Hopefully we can come out with some energy despite the long bus ride.

Comment

Disappointed with the loss but played a pretty good game. Point let in a few too many but most of them were unstoppable (passes to the far side of the crease without any defense). It had to be hard to play in this game as the penalties were so much different than the ECAC (some interference, particularly on a 2-1 break when the leading player checked the defender going after the puck handler or a check behind the net with 3 min in the 3rd without the puck and the first of the penalties that lead to the 5-3, it was a hit but kind of guided him in). I dont like ECAC officiating but at least I know what to expect. Overall a great effort and if we can get one tomorrow it will be a very successful trip out to Michigan.
                              Last edited by red133883; 11-24-2017, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Are these games being streamed/televised anywhere? Could not get anything but a WM sports website that didn't allow me to access.

Comment

Working...
                                X