WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

I thought it would be fun to have a statistical tournament comparing the results of the South Koreans playing the WCHA teams. If you lose you are disqualified from the tourney and the WCHA and SSM takes your spot in the WCHA.

Here's the point system.

Goal differential 1 point each
    Shot differential .05 point each
    Special team goal .25 each
    Shut out 1 point
    Allowing no shots in a period .5 each

It may be hard to find box scores for these (USCHO doesn't have one on the UW game), but maybe we all can pull together our resources with some eye witness accounts to make this happen.

UW game:
    55*.05=2.75 Shots 60-5
    4*.25=1 2 ppg 2 sh
    .5 = 3rd period
    Total - 13.25
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    It may be hard to find box scores for these ...
    http://collegehockeystats.net/1718/boxes/wkorwis1.s16

Collegehockeystats is my definitive source for all things statistical.

Does your tournament start now -- e.g., is UW disqualified because its exhibition took place before the tourney/rules were announced? Otherwise, most people would likely go with something much simpler, such as goal differential. That's what a lot of round-robin tourneys use. I'm not aware of any that award points for not allowing a shot in a period, most fans in attendance, the phase of the moon, or whatever else one could dream up after the fact.

Anyway, the best thing to do is to just declare Wisconsin the champion now. The Badgers have proven to be very good at running up the score on overmatched teams, while others may not realize the importance of the Korean Expo Tourney and may instead use it as a chance to skate versus someone other than teammates.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

No bonus point to SK for winning the shootout???
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        No bonus point to SK for winning the shootout???
        No. UW did not take the shoot out seriously and sent no heavy hitters into the shootout and used the least experienced goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          http://collegehockeystats.net/1718/boxes/wkorwis1.s16

Collegehockeystats is my definitive source for all things statistical.

Does your tournament start now -- e.g., is UW disqualified because its exhibition took place before the tourney/rules were announced? Otherwise, most people would likely go with something much simpler, such as goal differential. That's what a lot of round-robin tourneys use. I'm not aware of any that award points for not allowing a shot in a period, most fans in attendance, the phase of the moon, or whatever else one could dream up after the fact.

Anyway, the best thing to do is to just declare Wisconsin the champion now. The Badgers have proven to be very good at running up the score on overmatched teams, while others may not realize the importance of the Korean Expo Tourney and may instead use it as a chance to skate versus someone other than teammates.
          I knew I should have left this category in, but I took it out:

If your school is located in WI +2
          If your school is located in MN -2.

I didn't want anyone to accuse me of giving UW an advantage. LOL.

Take off your serious hat and put on the let's have a little fun hat. It's preseason.

Comment

Take off your serious hat and put on the let's have a little fun hat. It's preseason.
            That might be my problem. It's preseason for you, but for me, it's still offseason.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Bemidji scores 9.1 on the Korean Scale.

UW 13.5
              BSU 9.1

I can't wait to see what the rodents do. This will surely tell us who will win the wcha.

Comment

UW 13.5
                BSU 9.1

I can't wait to see what the rodents do. This will surely tell us who will win the wcha.
                I hope the Gophers don't get screwed over by the Russian judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                  I hope the Gophers don't get screwed over by the Russian judge.
                  They will get screwed by the Wisconsin judge. Trust me, I'm not good at math but my math is the only math that counts. :O

Comment

They will get screwed by the Wisconsin judge. Trust me, I'm not good at math but my math is the only math that counts. :O
                    If I understand the rules of this competition, the categories are determined after the game has been played. So, we don't know yet what things will count for points, but we can be certain that UM will have more than 13.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                      If I understand the rules of this competition, the categories are determined after the game has been played. So, we don't know yet what things will count for points, but we can be certain that UM will have more than 13.5.
                      That's where that sneaky Russian er Wisconsin judge suddenly changes the rules non-retroactively. You can't trust commies comrade Helmet.

Comment

That's where that sneaky Russian er Wisconsin judge suddenly changes the rules non-retroactively. You can't trust commies comrade Helmet.
                        Yes, I think Chinese officiating is really interesting as well

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                          Yes, I think Chinese officiating is really interesting as well
                          inscrutable
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

UW 13.5
                            BSU 9.1

I don't think the game will tell us much of anything. My guess is that the WCHA coaches will use the game as a chance to exercise the new kids, play with their lines and tenders. I expect the players to have fun and not play flat out. I'll say that now and stick to it no matter how the other games play out.

Your scoring idea is just fun but I wouldn't put much stock in it.

And I do think you have to score the shoot out even if WI didn't win it.

Comment

Scoring SCSU's exhibition vs S Korea might be best served with the option to take a mulligan...
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                              X