Union College: 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union College: 2017-2018

This thread starts the 2017-2018 hockey season for the Union College Dutchmen.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Re: Union College: 2017-2018

An Early Look at the 2017-18 ECAC Hockey Season
    A new year means new faces and what could make for a loaded ECAC conference in 2017-18
    by Nick Beaudoin Aug 25, 2017, 9:35am PDT
    SBN College Hockey

The Union Dutchmen are coming off huge losses to graduation and the NHL. With Spencer Foo signing with Calgary a year early and Mike Vecchione graduating and heading to the Flyers, Union is going to be in need of both top line and secondary scoring to make an impact in the ECAC this year. Rick Bennett will bring in some firepower up front and also have some gritty, under the radar players eager to make that big leap on the depth chart this upcoming fall. Union isn’t as re-tooled as other teams nationally and in conference, so a finish outside the top 20 could be more likely for them this season.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/eca...iac-yale-union
    Last edited by Dutchman; 08-26-2017, 02:41 PM.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

34 days until the puck drops at Agganis
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

President Stephen Ainlay is leaving after the 2017-2018 academic year. Huge loss. Was a gigantic supporter of the hockey program.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          34 days until the puck drops at Agganis
          Seems like it's been forever!
          Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

President Stephen Ainlay is leaving after the 2017-2018 academic year. Huge loss. Was a gigantic supporter of the hockey program.
            You're not getting Tony Collins!
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Upper Classmen
              Forwards
              Vidmar - Maier - Supinski
              Brown - Walker - Rinaldi
              Burton - Taylor - Dufour
              Hynes - Scarfo - Zach
              D
              Kolias - Newhouse
              Bassard - Campbell
              Light -
              G
              Kupsky
              Young
              ------------------------------
              Freshmen
              F = Adams - Morgan - Kosack - Foo
              D = Brierley - Campolieto - Estes
              G = Hanson
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I am not going to whine about losing 50+ percent of our scoring, two of the nations top scorers, our best two defensemen, and in a league with lots of great goalies, the third best goalie in the ECAC. No, not me

Here are the positives:
                Experience - Bennett was wise to give out lots of playing time last year.
                Leadership - I really like Maier (C) and Scarfo (A) and Supinski and Vidmar. Unselfish team players.
                Hunger - The National Championship team is now gone. My sense is that this team will want to make its own mark. Players will step up. The question is how many and whom.
                Speed -
                League - Perhaps not as strong as last year.

Unknowns
                Goalie? Will Kupsky step up?
                Defense? Will Light catch fire?
                Size? Can Dufour step up?
                Freshmen? We have some big holes on D to fill. Will they do it?
                Injuries? We have been lucky the past few years.
                Last edited by Dutchman; 09-01-2017, 04:14 AM.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Here are my ECAC predictions, not in any order:

Top 6 Teams

Q - lots A+ recruits
                  Harvard - still lots of talent + Donato
                  Cornell - always in the top 6
                  Princeton - everyone is returning
                  RPI - new coach
                  Clarkson

Bottom 6 Teams
                  St. Lawrence - losing too much
                  Colgate -
                  Brown
                  Union - losing too much
                  Yale - losing too much
                  Dartmouth
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Here are my ECAC predictions, not in any order:

Top 6 Teams

Q - lots A+ recruits
                    Harvard - still lots of talent + Donato
                    Cornell - always in the top 6
                    Princeton - everyone is returning
                    RPI - new coach
                    Clarkson

Bottom 6 Teams
                    St. Lawrence - losing too much
                    Colgate -
                    Brown
                    Union - losing too much
                    Yale - losing too much
                    Dartmouth
                    Your post on the team positives is spot on..but I wonder about picking them for the bottom 6.
                    especially behind a team with a new coach.
                    Yes they are a very young team but that is where that very experienced leadership comes in.
                    They must mesh quickly as that early schedule is not easy. I think they will pleasantly surprise us all
                    and although maybe not top 3 this year they will be competitive and surpass current expectations...

Comment

I am not going to whine about losing 50+ percent of our scoring, two of the nations top scorers, our best two defensemen, and in a league with lots of great goalies, the third best goalie in the ECAC. No, not me

Here are the positives:
                      Experience - Bennett was wise to give out lots of playing time last year.
                      Leadership - I really like Maier (C) and Scarfo (A) and Supinski and Vidmar. Unselfish team players.
                      Hunger - The National Championship team is now gone. My sense is that this team will want to make its own mark. Players will step up. The question is how many and whom.
                      Speed -
                      League - Perhaps not as strong as last year.

Unknowns
                      Goalie? Will Kupsky step up?
                      Defense? Will Light catch fire?
                      Size? Can Dufour step up?
                      Freshmen? We have some big holes on D to fill. Will they do it?
                      Injuries? We have been lucky the past few years.
                      My take on the freshmen:

Forwards: Adams and Foo are both dynamic players that could contribute right away. Adams is huge (6-5, 205), a surprisingly good skater, good hands, and seems to be improving every year. He was one of the leading scorers in the USHL for most of the past season and is tough along the boards & in front of the net. Little Foo, looks a lot like his brother though IMO may not be as progressed as Spencer was as a frosh. He is a dynamic skater with a lot of potential. Kosack is another forward to watch, as he put up big numbers in the OJHL two years ago and steadily improved this past season in the USHL. He probably will be a depth player to start out, but could develop into a top 6 forward in another year or two. Morgan is a very smooth player that also will likely take some time to develop. He has a bit of an edge to his game and reminds me a bit of Matt Wilkins. Harrison is fast and potential energy player/4th liner.

Defense: Campolieto is the one to keep an eye on. He is a dynamic skater and not afraid to join the offense. He started in the NAHL last season and got traded early on to the USHL where he put up very respectable offensive numbers. He also got bigger last season (6-0, 185) and has potential to be a strong all around d-man. Brierly is not big but is a very responsible d-man that moves the puck well and can skate. He was a captain on his USHL team. Estes brings a little size (at least for Union..) but otherwise looks like will take time to develop.

Goalie: Hanson is is coming off a fantastic season in the BCHL, where he won Top Goaltender honors for having the lowest GAA. As impressively, he had a 94% save percent in regular season and over 93% in post-season. Below is a link that includes some video highlights. He is big in the Stevens/Kinkaid mold and looks to be very athletic, moves well laterally, and controls rebounds well. Nothing against Sak or Kupsky, but this kid has a lot of tools that Union fans haven't seen in the past couple years. He looks like he gets a little out of control at time and will likely have to tighten up his positioning & angles, but working with Tapper should help with that.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHUOGwq7t4U

Overall, this is a very good class, with potential to be an excellent one if certain players develop and others stick around long enough. I think at lest a couple of the forward will vie for top 6 roles and likely at least 2 d-men will see regular ice time. In goal, I'm expecting Hanson & Kupsky to duke it out for playing time.
                      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                        My take on the freshmen:

Forwards: Adams and Foo are both dynamic players that could contribute right away. Adams is huge (6-5, 205), a surprisingly good skater, good hands, and seems to be improving every year. He was one of the leading scorers in the USHL for most of the past season and is tough along the boards & in front of the net. Little Foo, looks a lot like his brother though IMO may not be as progressed as Spencer was as a frosh. He is a dynamic skater with a lot of potential. Kosack is another forward to watch, as he put up big numbers in the OJHL two years ago and steadily improved this past season in the USHL. He probably will be a depth player to start out, but could develop into a top 6 forward in another year or two. Morgan is a very smooth player that also will likely take some time to develop. He has a bit of an edge to his game and reminds me a bit of Matt Wilkins. Harrison is fast and potential energy player/4th liner.

Defense: Campolieto is the one to keep an eye on. He is a dynamic skater and not afraid to join the offense. He started in the NAHL last season and got traded early on to the USHL where he put up very respectable offensive numbers. He also got bigger last season (6-0, 185) and has potential to be a strong all around d-man. Brierly is not big but is a very responsible d-man that moves the puck well and can skate. He was a captain on his USHL team. Estes brings a little size (at least for Union..) but otherwise looks like will take time to develop.

Goalie: Hanson is is coming off a fantastic season in the BCHL, where he won Top Goaltender honors for having the lowest GAA. As impressively, he had a 94% save percent in regular season and over 93% in post-season. Below is a link that includes some video highlights. He is big in the Stevens/Kinkaid mold and looks to be very athletic, moves well laterally, and controls rebounds well. Nothing against Sak or Kupsky, but this kid has a lot of tools that Union fans haven't seen in the past couple years. He looks like he gets a little out of control at time and will likely have to tighten up his positioning & angles, but working with Tapper should help with that.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHUOGwq7t4U

Overall, this is a very good class, with potential to be an excellent one if certain players develop and others stick around long enough. I think at lest a couple of the forward will vie for top 6 roles and likely at least 2 d-men will see regular ice time. In goal, I'm expecting Hanson & Kupsky to duke it out for playing time.
                        I agree with most of the above. I hope we don't end up with some of the disappointments we've seen in the past few years (Eli and Pontarelli come to mind). If everyone can contribute, I think they have the potential to be a good but young team, kind of like the 2010-2011 team.
                        Let's go Union !
                        ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                        ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                        NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Sebastian Vidmar listed:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...ss-of-NCAA.php
                          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

You can have Dr. Shirley Ann Jackson for tree fitty...

Comment

Nice article from the Albany Times:
                              "Union hockey looks to restock the trophy case"
                              Freshmen may have big roles as Dutchmen look to replace eight players
                              By Pete Dougherty Updated 11:04 pm, Thursday, September 7, 2017
                              http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...photo-14069728
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 09-11-2017, 02:30 PM.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                              X