Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State 2017-2018: pour another Schott

Nice win for you guys Saturday night. On TV the place looked packed. Sure looked like more than 6500 to me. Both teams are likely to be #1 seeds (ND is assured and OSU will be if they win and likely will be win or lose). What remains to be seen for our two teams is where are we playing come March 23/24. My guess is one us is likely to go to Sioux Falls IF North Dakota makes the field. If the Sioux are out I would imagine St. Cloud goes there.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
      Nice win for you guys Saturday night. On TV the place looked packed. Sure looked like more than 6500 to me. Both teams are likely to be #1 seeds (ND is assured and OSU will be if they win and likely will be win or lose). What remains to be seen for our two teams is where are we playing come March 23/24. My guess is one us is likely to go to Sioux Falls IF North Dakota makes the field. If the Sioux are out I would imagine St. Cloud goes there.
      Congratulations back at you. Recorded and watched your game after the OSU game, and what an exciting way to win over a team that was hot.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
        Lets hope that nodak loses this weekend. I want to go and they bought up all the tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          This goes back to the same issue we had with on campus playoffs during the CCHA days where the university contracts with the Ohio High School Athletic Association to host the state high school wrestling & basketball tournaments in our home arena so we get bumped out, a very touchy subject among the hockey fans here.
          The almighty dollar is MUCH more important to the school than their own sports programs and I thought our administrators were the only jerks who did this but the Wisconsin fans is seems deal with the EXACT same scenario with the Kohl Center. It just su*ks the B1G and NCAA allow schools to do that.
          As far as a must win? You guys know as well as anyone what it's like to keep momentum rolling this time of year and there's always the excitement/dread of playing Michigan again this season. It would be a record if we beat you 5 times in a season and given the rivalry between our two schools it would definitely sustain and increase that momentum but we are also quite aware you are a much improved team and could quite well beat us hence the dread factor.
          Right now we could in theory finish with that #4 Pairwise ranking and possibly get our first ever #1 seeding so winning to get every advantage going into the NCAA's is a must do for that alone regardless of the rivalry factor.
          It should be a very intense game with the one & done and safe travels to all who come down to support your team.
          Wow - what a season and the fun part is just getting started! With the talk of new arena, I had my "ah-ha" moment on Saturday night looking around at the crowd at Nationwide Arena. When you start looking at things from an administration point of view, MIH will never get a new arena as the Schott serves the purpose just fine (as much as a cavern as it is). Similar to adding on a practice gym for BB to the Schott, in their eyes, add on an auxillary 1,500 seat ice rink for WIH and the problem is solved.

As they see it, MIH now has a practice rink they can walk into and not have to take a short bus to, WIH now has a new modern facility and solves the contract issue (if the rumor is true with the coach about having a new facility within 3 years). Once the Covelli is finished, bulldozing the field house and ice rink and returing it to green space solves that mission and the Schott now becomes the marquee facility for Ohio State MIH & WIH without spending a whole lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

If the B1G or NCAA isn't going to set standard size rink rules (big sheet of ice in MN and WI) for college hockey, they surely aren't going to stipulate where on campus playoff games are played. In fact, I'd bet that the B1G was happy to promote their hockey "rivalry" of Ohio State vs *ichigan was played in an NHL arena. From an administration and recruiting perspective, playing a playoff game in an NHL arena which is where the majority of recruits want to end up in a few years anyway, this is a golden opportunity, regardless of the attendance.

My "ah-ha" moment was looking at the $ on Saturday night. With Ohio State, everything comes down to $.

Say 6,000 tickets at $20 = $120k. It costs $5k/hour to rent NWA with a four hour minimum. OSU probably works a better deal but let's say the cost to rent the facility was $20k plus incidental fees and charges. That's $90k+ revenue for one of the biggest games of the year for OSU as well as the B1G. Again from an administration point of view, that is a cost savings and an investment.

Additionally, with both teams on the upswing and headed to a possible B1G championship and another NCAA appearance, I'm sure administration is looking at this and saying you've made it this far with the assets that we have, why fix it if it isn't broken?

Just my two cents. It is an incredibly exciting time to be an Ohio State Hockey fan....let's keep this thing rolling for the next few weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGhost View Post
            Wow - what a season and the fun part is just getting started! With the talk of new arena, I had my "ah-ha" moment on Saturday night looking around at the crowd at Nationwide Arena. When you start looking at things from an administration point of view, MIH will never get a new arena as the Schott serves the purpose just fine (as much as a cavern as it is). Similar to adding on a practice gym for BB to the Schott, in their eyes, add on an auxillary 1,500 seat ice rink for WIH and the problem is solved.

As they see it, MIH now has a practice rink they can walk into and not have to take a short bus to, WIH now has a new modern facility and solves the contract issue (if the rumor is true with the coach about having a new facility within 3 years). Once the Covelli is finished, bulldozing the field house and ice rink and returing it to green space solves that mission and the Schott now becomes the marquee facility for Ohio State MIH & WIH without spending a whole lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

If the B1G or NCAA isn't going to set standard size rink rules (big sheet of ice in MN and WI) for college hockey, they surely aren't going to stipulate where on campus playoff games are played. In fact, I'd bet that the B1G was happy to promote their hockey "rivalry" of Ohio State vs *ichigan was played in an NHL arena. From an administration and recruiting perspective, playing a playoff game in an NHL arena which is where the majority of recruits want to end up in a few years anyway, this is a golden opportunity, regardless of the attendance.

My "ah-ha" moment was looking at the $ on Saturday night. With Ohio State, everything comes down to $.

Say 6,000 tickets at $20 = $120k. It costs $5k/hour to rent NWA with a four hour minimum. OSU probably works a better deal but let's say the cost to rent the facility was $20k plus incidental fees and charges. That's $90k+ revenue for one of the biggest games of the year for OSU as well as the B1G. Again from an administration point of view, that is a cost savings and an investment.

Additionally, with both teams on the upswing and headed to a possible B1G championship and another NCAA appearance, I'm sure administration is looking at this and saying you've made it this far with the assets that we have, why fix it if it isn't broken?

Just my two cents. It is an incredibly exciting time to be an Ohio State Hockey fan....let's keep this thing rolling for the next few weeks!
            The X factor is can we keep Rohlik without a proper hockey arena. If he leaves and the program sinks back into another extended period of mediocrity, all those calculations by the administration will have turned out to be, as the saying goes, "too clever by half." I know we'll always face the prospect of him going back to Madison if Bucky comes calling. What I don't want is the possibility of losing him to a school that can give him a great hockey only facility.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
              The X factor is can we keep Rohlik without a proper hockey arena. If he leaves and the program sinks back into another extended period of mediocrity, all those calculations by the administration will have turned out to be, as the saying goes, "too clever by half." I know we'll always face the prospect of him going back to Madison if Bucky comes calling. What I don't want is the possibility of losing him to a school that can give him a great hockey only facility.
              Why would the arena be a factor on Rohlik staying?
              Success breeds success as they saying goes. We've had a VERY successful season thus far and would it not stand to reason that we will be able to recruit well because of it? Has the arena hampered our ability to play well in it? Wisconsin's Kohl Center is only slightly smaller and has it's size hurt them?
              I'm sure there are financial incentives in Rohliks contract that will reward him for his achievements and if he can sustain a strong competitive program here why go somewhere else and start over because of a NHL size arena?
              Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-13-2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
                That's so completely effed. What is the difference in cost between that and a 5K arena for both programs? Ohio State's athletic debt is pretty reasonable right now relative to the AD's revenue and the overall university budget. I believe the Schott and the Ohio Stadium renovation bonds were paid off years ago. Despite what they say, money is not an issue.
                Yeah, they're not fooling anyone with the "We don't have the money" rhetoric when it comes to building a legitimate hockey facility for our hockey programs. Someone commented on social media (I forget if it was facebook or twitter) about our hockey programs having to win a natty to get the athletic department to take notice and build them their own facility. I replied and basically said if the athletic department has not taken notice now with both programs in the NCAA Tournament (the men are obviously going to make it as a #1 or #2 seed and the women beat Boston College on the road Saturday to advance to the Women's Frozen Four), they never will.

Comment

My Observation on the Michigan game. As a Buckeye Hockey Season ticket holder for 20 Years, if they were playing anyone else besides Michigan last week, they would be doing good to draw 3000 at Nationwide. The atmosphere was the best it has been for College Hockey in Columbus, ( excluding the Frozen Four that was here) mainly because Michigan travelled so well. The Schott takes away the college atmosphere for both Hockey and Basketball. St John Arena is College Basketball.. Yost arena is college hockey. Ohio State will never be a Hockey school.. This is the best it will get for us local College Hockey fans. It will always be tough to compete on the ice and recruiting with Michigan( US Developmental team in their backyard), Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Comment

I don't think there's much chance of Rohlik leaving, even for Wisconsin at this point. This program has been very good to and for him, and barring OSU flat out doing nothing (including building a better practice facility) I don't see him leaving There is a good chance of the women's coach leaving if progress isn't made on a new facility soon.

I have always felt that men's hockey was not going to leave the Schott and that was not the direction this thing would end up going. The practice rink and 1200 seats attached to the Schott is the best we are going to get barring one of us here winning a few hundred million in the lottery (I should probably start playing). The players seem to like the Schott as I've not even heard of a recent alumni complaining about it.

Comment

I've said this before but I think the only benefit a hockey only arena would give us in terms of attendance would be we'd have much more flexibility in scheduling home games to not conflict with Blue Jacket home games as much as possible.
                      Season ticket holders for the Jackets are not going to pass on their high priced seats to come to our games when both play at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
                        My Observation on the Michigan game. As a Buckeye Hockey Season ticket holder for 20 Years, if they were playing anyone else besides Michigan last week, they would be doing good to draw 3000 at Nationwide. The atmosphere was the best it has been for College Hockey in Columbus, ( excluding the Frozen Four that was here) mainly because Michigan traveled so well. The Schott takes away the college atmosphere for both Hockey and Basketball. St John Arena is College Basketball.. Yost arena is college hockey. Ohio State will never be a Hockey school.. This is the best it will get for us local College Hockey fans. It will always be tough to compete on the ice and recruiting with Michigan( US Developmental team in their backyard), Minnesota and Wisconsin.
                        While I'd quarrel with some of the particulars, I agree with the general thrust of your post.

You're largely correct as a factual matter, but I'd put a more positive spin on it. This was by far the best turnout OSU Hockey has had at Nationwide Arena. My hope is that we've finally turned the corner on accepting Nationwide as alternate site for college hockey. When needed for future playoff games, maybe we can stop viewing playing at an NHL Rink as a hardship. Heck, with this success, perhaps a Nationwide Frozen Four becomes a more realistic possibility.

Consider: The Gopher Hockey fanbase has been highly critical of most everything to do with B1G Hockey. They aren't shy about dissenting. But in general, that fanbase doesn't complain about playing at The X, home of the NHL Wild. Instead, they treat those games as special occasions. Except, of course, for the two B1G tournaments that were held there!

Which leads directly to my final point. Saturday night's turnout was a SPECTACULAR improvement over the crowds in St. Paul & Detroit for the 4 neutral site tournaments. That's an accomplishment to be proud of, even if we have to give an assist to the Michigan fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                          ...I have always felt that men's hockey was not going to leave the Schott and that was not the direction this thing would end up going. The practice rink and 1200 seats attached to the Schott is the best we are going to get barring one of us here winning a few hundred million in the lottery (I should probably start playing).
                          If the rumors are true, we apparently are going to continue to follow the "Wisconsin Model." In other words, we embrace the limitations of a large, multipurpose facility; making small, incremental improvements when possible. If that is indeed the case, then I would absolutely urge our planners to study the experience with LaBahn Arena with the utmost care.

The Badger faithful have a whole series of complaints with LaBahn. In general, a number of shortcuts were taken that cause many to believe that the facility was outdated from the moment it opened. If a 1,200 seat facility is the best the Department of Athletics will offer us, then it needs to be the best 1,200 seat facility in Women's D-1 Hockey. AND an IDEAL practice facility for Men's Hockey -- not something we're just squeaking by with.

The players seem to like the Schott as I've not even heard of a recent alumni complaining about it.
                          If you can say more on this point, please do. This information would be fascinating to know. The player experience can indeed be different from the fan experience.

From a fan perspective, the large majority would prefer the "Penn State Model," meaning a single purpose, medium sized rink. But if the players are genuinely happy where there are, I'm sure fans would be willing to at least take that into account.

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                          I've said this before but I think the only benefit a hockey only arena would give us in terms of attendance would be we'd have much more flexibility in scheduling home games to not conflict with Blue Jacket home games as much as possible.
                          Season ticket holders for the Jackets are not going to pass on their high priced seats to come to our games when both play at the same time.
                          Definitely agree with you on the incentives facing the CBJ season ticket holders, and the decision the vast majority would make.

Nevertheless, college hockey games need to be played on weekends. That, along with affordable ticket prices, accounts for a significant percentage of our crowd. If we move games to mid-week to dodge the CBJ, the result would be a net loss of attendance.

I suppose a Saturday/Sunday home series could work. That would allow you dodge a Friday evening CBJ game, without losing the family crowd.

Another factor that cuts the same way: We can't be hopelessly out of sync with the rest of the college hockey world. Oddball scheduling does require the consent of the visiting team, and/or approval of the conference.
                          Last edited by pgb-ohio; 03-14-2018, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Coach of the year for Rohlik.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                              Coach of the year for Rohlik.
                              Awesome!

First write-up I found, searching for additional info:
                              https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...erence-players

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                Awesome!

First write-up I found, searching for additional info:
                                https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...erence-players
                                Eleven Warriors gives Ohio State hockey MUCH better coverage than that worthless Columbus Dispatch.

Comment

Working...
                                X