Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I thought the penalty that gave Ferris that last goal was really weak. The refs had let a LOT go all game so the guy falls down on his own and one of our sticks is in the vicinity and now we lose the game . We should have played better of course but Ferris was very lucky to get that win .
    I agree it was a pretty weak call, especially when they don't call the hook with about 1:30 left when Smith was right in front of the net with the puck taking away a grade A chance.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Tonight's the night. I'm finally getting to see this team in person. I'm hoping for solid goaltending!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Going to be a good night for some hockey, why the crowd woes last night? Box score showed 2901, but it did not look like it. Tech generated many chances last night, hope a few more go in tonight. Jackson was the best player on the ice, but the Luch line and Smitty’s line looked very good. Reitmeyer made a couple outstanding pkays last night, his Hockey IQ and hands are impressive. I would like to see Russell back in the lineup tonight.

Comment

I thought the penalty that gave Ferris that last goal was really weak. The refs had let a LOT go all game so the guy falls down on his own and one of our sticks is in the vicinity and now we lose the game . We should have played better of course but Ferris was very lucky to get that win .
          I disagree on the playing better part. Not sure if you watched. You can't play much better

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
            Going to be a good night for some hockey, why the crowd woes last night? Box score showed 2901, but it did not look like it. Tech generated many chances last night, hope a few more go in tonight. Jackson was the best player on the ice, but the Luch line and Smitty’s line looked very good. Reitmeyer made a couple outstanding pkays last night, his Hockey IQ and hands are impressive. I would like to see Russell back in the lineup tonight.
            High school girls and boys basketball is in full swing now along with high school hockey, thus the lower numbers at the Tech game. A little over 3 grand at tonight's game. We draw better numbers than most of the league.

Northern's number are pathetic for how decent they are playing this year. They are averaging only near 2000 except for when we played them.
            MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
            2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
              High school girls and boys basketball is in full swing now along with high school hockey, thus the lower numbers at the Tech game. A little over 3 grand at tonight's game. We draw better numbers than most of the league.

Northern's number are pathetic for how decent they are playing this year. They are averaging only near 2000 except for when we played them.
              It's a combination of economics and perception. The fact is, a lot of folks don't care to see the local team play Alabama-Huntsville, Alaska-Anchorage, and Buttmidji State when they were accustomed to having the major D1 schools on the schedule every year. 5 years on, it still feels like a de facto demotion to D2, and the poor out-of-conference results that end with the WCHA only sending the conference tournament champion to the national tournament the past 2 years, are pretty much confirming that perception. It keeps casual fans, most of whom already have limited disposable income, away.

Comment

Well, I must say I've gained some confidence in Beydoun. After some tough sledding in the first he settled in and looked really good.
                Hopefully this is a turning point for this team.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                  Well, I must say I've gained some confidence in Beydoun. After some tough sledding in the first he settled in and looked really good.
                  Hopefully this is a turning point for this team.

Agreed and I think goaltending suddenly has gotten a lot better. That one save with his right leg all the way across to the other side of the net was really good.
                  To answer your other question. We could be better in a lot of ways and any time you lose you have to evaluate what could you have done better. But a short list might be, 1. Goaltending, 2. Power play, ( it's better but not enough better imho), 3. Turnovers. ( my number one issue, we turn the puck over an awful lot and give the other team if not odd man rushes, we give them an opportunity of some sort. I would much prefer we make them go 200 ft every time. Also, if you go back to the Denver game in the regionals last year. One of the things we had trouble with was Denver's quickness. it allowed them to transition quickly. But if we were to get the puck deep, instead of not moving it quick enough or not making a thoughtful pass, that would have been a much different game. I think if we could really cut them down, it would mean a world of difference as the game goes along)
                  We have a lot of strengths, and I like how we play. It just seems we shoot ourselves in the foot at times and do the other team's work for them.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    It's a combination of economics and perception. The fact is, a lot of folks don't care to see the local team play Alabama-Huntsville, Alaska-Anchorage, and Buttmidji State when they were accustomed to having the major D1 schools on the schedule every year. 5 years on, it still feels like a de facto demotion to D2, and the poor out-of-conference results that end with the WCHA only sending the conference tournament champion to the national tournament the past 2 years, are pretty much confirming that perception. It keeps casual fans, most of whom already have limited disposable income, away.
                    I was at Tech when we played the real U of M, North Dakota, Denver, UMD,... It was not a pleasant experience knowing you were going to get crushed 6-0 both nights. Granted, we didn't have good teams then, but now you get to see a good hockey game with an above average chance to see a win. We have a better than average chance to go deep into the WCHA playoffs and make the NCAA tournament, where we get bounced in the first round.

I will agree that UAH and the Alaska schools don't have the appeal that the powerhouse teams do. BSU has been a solid WCHA team and gives us good hockey games. Trust me, I will take playing in a conference with teams that have a similar school size/financial resources than ones with seemingly unlimited resources. If the WCHA wants national recognition, more than one or two teams have to win in the non-conference.

Comment

For those of you who don't know much about our opponents in Las Vegas.

BC...(We played BC at the GLI about 5 years ago?)... is an up and down team. They have good goaltending and a lot of talent, though they are pretty young. They are off now until the 30th where they play a home game vs UConn before coming out to Vegas.( so 1 game right before the tourney but three weeks off in between) They have played fairly well this year and have what I would say is a fairly easy schedule the rest of the way. The regular goaltender might be at world juniors during the tournament, but he got pulled a game or two ago anyway and his back-up is competent. They lost to Wisconsin, and Denver, twice to St. Cloud and split with Providence, all of those games early in the season.. They have been very good the last month but did lose to Northeastern the other day when NE got 3 pp goals in the first period. Against BU they scored two goals in the first 4 minutes of the game but couldn't hold on and lost 7-4 on friday, then had a 1 goal lead going into the third the next night and held on for the win. I'd say real good hands and plenty of speed but some mistakes on defense at times.
                      ASU.... plays the heavy game a la BGSU, they have struggled to score goals but have beaten some good teams.They are at CC next weekend and last weekend split with Princeton at home. In the second game, they scored an extra attacker goal to tie in the last 30 seconds and won in OT. They play in the Three Rivers Classic the weekend before the tournament vs Providence in the first game and then the next game vs either Robert Morris or LSSU. They compete pretty hard and they are physical.
                      I don't know anything about the rink in Las Vegas. The Knights play the 2ed vs the leafs and then the 4th at St Louis.
                      NMU has league games at Mankato the weekend before.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

This next weekend is very important if the Huskies want to be in any discussion of home ice for the first round of the playoffs. Lake State got stomped at home, both nights, by Mankato. They will play with nothing to lose at this point, and Tech can't afford to treat them lightly. Getting all 6 points is a must.

Comment

The knights play the rangers on Jan 7th in Vegas if any husky fans are still around. My wife and I are traveling down for the tournament and catch the rangers / knights game. Can't wait for a long weekend in Vegas!!!

Comment

I don't know anything about the rink in Las Vegas.
                            The exterior of the building is covered with copper colored metal shingles - advantage Huskies!
                            If Tech ever built a new rink in Houghton, I imagine it would look a lot like T-Mobile on the outside (with a mine hoist coming out the top of course).
                            Ryan

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              The exterior of the building is covered with copper colored metal shingles - advantage Huskies!
                              If Tech ever built a new rink in Houghton, I imagine it would look a lot like T-Mobile on the outside (with a mine hoist coming out the top of course).
                              Ryan

I really hope they don't build a new rink soon. IMO the Mac is the best college rink I've been to. They'd never get the steep seats again (Even though as a kid I had nightmares about falling down them).

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                                I really hope they don't build a new rink soon. IMO the Mac is the best college rink I've been to. They'd never get the steep seats again (Even though as a kid I had nightmares about falling down them).

The steep seating is what makes the Mac, go to any other arena and it's just too shallow, people in front of you block your view etc. While the Mac may not be as pretty as newer arenas they have definitely improved it massively with the updates, the new seats, the luxury boxes, the scoreboard all make it great.
                                2005-2006: 7-25-6
                                2006-2007: 18-17-5
                                2007-2008: 14-20-5
                                2008-2009: 6-25-7
                                2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Working...
                                X