Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    I read a number of articles about this proposed rule change. Nothing is currently before the NCAA rules committee for consideration so it will be like 2020 or 2021 before this could even be put up for vote.

I also read a number of opinion pieces on this proposal and they all had one point of agreement: This may do many things, but one thing it will do for sure is increase the gap between the have and have-not programs. The stories I read were all discussing football and basketball but I certainly agree with MS's comment above that the same thing will happen in hockey. Certain D-I programs will become nothing more than feeder programs who will have their top players getting calls from "pro advisers" as well as D-I coaches of the top programs the minute they show any sign of talent.

Of course on the other side of the coin, under that type of system, who wants to go be a 4th line player at a top program if you know you'll be kicked to the curb the minute the team can find someone better that will transfer in and take your playing time?
    "Sign with our team and you can play all four years. We only bring in players to replace early departures and we honor our commitments..."

Ryan
    It might be true that this will help the haves...but much like other things...teams will not be able to make the first call. I also think its about time that the NCAA allow players to be more like the coaches where they can leave if/when they want.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 17-18 Preseason - MacNaughton, Broadmoor... What's this year bringi

Given the lack of attendance the last few years for Badger games, getting seats where you want shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure where the visitor section is officially. I'm not sure when Tech will offer up a block of seats but I believe single game tickets for the Badgers don't get released until 9/22. I would call the Tech ticket office. They would be the best source of info at this point.
      Ryan J
      Thanks for the tip Ryan. Tech has their ticket allocation, will be available soon, per MTU ticket office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think that the transfer system can work both ways, even if it does create a bit of a feeder system.

I'm all for allowing a no-penalty transfer to a player one time, and only between seasons/academic years.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Cliff Watson is trying out with the Calgary Flames.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/trai...ed/c-291043456

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            I'm all for allowing a no-penalty transfer to a player one time, and only between seasons/academic years.
            GFM
            I would agree that one free pass is enough as too many transfers will really kill the player's degree progress, which is why all these kids need to change schools in the first place... for the right degree program.

I can't wait for the first 30 minute special on the Pac12 Network (Hockey's Future!) where all the US college hockey players sit in a rink and announce where they are taking their talents next season. Better yet, have it at the Boys and Girls club or some dumpy local rink to generate sympathy for all the guys that didn't get drafted by North Dakota right out of 8th grade, but now they can transfer in after they've developed at another D-I school for a couple years...

I'll bet that former Michigan Tech poach, oops sorry, coach, will be one of the first to take advantage of this system if it comes to be.

Ryan J
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

FYI - I was informed this morning that former Michigan Tech Husky (1992-94)and LSSU Laker (1995-97) Mitch Lane passed away after a prolonged battle with cancer.

Ryan
              Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 09-14-2017, 09:31 AM.

Comment

FYI - I was informed this morning that former Michigan Tech Husky (1992-94)and LSSU Laker (1995-97) Mitch Lake passed away after a prolonged battle with cancer.

Ryan
                You mean Mitch Lane?
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Ooops, yes, Mitch Lane. Very bad typo on my part.
                  Ryan

Comment

Still no GLI on the team schedule with less than 3 weeks until the season begins. Also not listed on the LCA schedule of events, and no tickets available on Ticketmaster yet. Been two months since the details were supposed to be made public.

Maybe they're still hammering out the new ticket pricing scheme?

Comment

Just got this email about our new captains.

HOUGHTON, Mich. – Michigan Tech head hockey coach Joe Shawhan has named Brent Baltus the captain of the 2017-18 Huskies. Joel L'Esperance, Dylan Steman, Jake Lucchini, and Mitch Reinke will serve as alternate captains.

Comment

Joe talked on the JSH about captain selection. Said that while he has the final decision, the players do get a voice and are usually in agreement.

It was encouraging to hear that Steman looks very good in the early practices. Him and Baltus staying healthy and getting on the stat sheet early, will go a long way towards setting the tone.

Joe also mentioned that they've worked on tightening up the D. He feels they relied too heavily on all the back-end talent the past couple of seasons, and have played a little too loose as a result. Similarly, with all the winning they've done in the last 3 years, a bit too much complacency has crept in with some guys, and he wants to see the fire and compete level from that 10-0 start during his first year as an assistant.

Recruiting was discussed, and it's clear that he wants to honor our commitments going forward, however the type of player that we recruit won't change. At this point, if you look at our roster we really only have room to recruit "maybe 3 more defensemen" for the next 3-4 incoming classes. Mentioned that the proposed new transfer rules are likely a byproduct of all the early commitments and stockpiling that is going on.

They briefly talked about scheduling. No mention of the GLI at all.

Comment

Intrasquad game set for Sept. 23. 6:30pm at the SDC. Admission $2

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Still no GLI on the team schedule with less than 3 weeks until the season begins. Also not listed on the LCA schedule of events, and no tickets available on Ticketmaster yet. Been two months since the details were supposed to be made public.

Some dates that were previously thought to be unavailable have opened up.
                            Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

On BG's website it shows 1/1 - 1/4. It doesn't say it's tentative but...

Comment

Looks like Packy Munson will be our transferring goalie, per THG. He has at least two years of eligibility left, and can play immediately.
                                Packy's got the makings to be an outstanding goalie! Nice pickup for you guys. Wish he were still at UVM!

Comment

Working...
                                X