Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Glad you liked it! I mean after what I thought was a lousy first period by our 'Cats we dug in the second. You guys had command of most of play/ puck possession and our amount of penalties and turnovers were nerve wracking. UNH Cats can play better.

Kudos to you guys for battling back. See you in February!
    It was our first real complete game this year. UNH is very opportunistic and made us pay for some silly mistakes and Tirone was excellent.
    https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Played to lose, could have won, ended up tied...

That's what happens when you "park the bus" for the final 12 minutes of regulation and all of OT.

Comment

A bit of a SOG imbalance tonight?

Sounds like the good Tirone showed up at UVM.

Time for Vela to watch from stands next weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
          Shot attempts were 77-44 UVM. That's usually a decent indicator of how a game went.
          One of our very own beloved poster would take issue with that assertion. I happen to agree with you though FWIW!

Glad you got to Sweatwaters Ref
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            A bit of a SOG imbalance tonight?

Sounds like the good Tirone showed up at UVM.

Time for Vela to watch from stands next weekend.
            With Eiserman out I have my doubts Vela will sit. Whats more interesting to me is I think it's more obvious we have lots of work to do and particularly in the compete level. Still early in the season and am grateful for where we are win/loss. Team is well aware I'm sure! Go 'Cats!!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Not a good effort from a UNH team that barely moved its feet all night. They were caught watching for long stretches as UVM skated circles around the offensive zone. Fortunately for the Wildcats, UVM continued to struggle finishing (even now only 10 even-strength goals in 7 games) and the PP was essentially 3-for-6 (3rd PPG just a few seconds after the PP ended). A point is a fortunate result...
              I didn't watch, tuned in WGIR mid second period, this was my thought when Vela picked up his 4th penalty.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

With Eiserman out I have my doubts Vela will sit. Whats more interesting to me is I think it's more obvious we have lots of work to do and particularly in the compete level. Still early in the season and am grateful for where we are win/loss. Team is well aware I'm sure! Go 'Cats!!
                Starting the season we were ready to compete which is commendable. Hating to provide Champions of December fodder, but the 'cats are in trouble if they think October's intensity level will carry them into 2018 or even Thanksgiving time. A shame not getting 2 HEA points, surrendering a 2 goal 3rd period lead. Listening to the final Vela penalty was frustrating. A win next week gives us 3/4 road points before the UML rematch. Looking around HEA, things could be worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  Starting the season we were ready to compete which is commendable. Hating to provide Champions of December fodder, but the 'cats are in trouble if they think October's intensity level will carry them into 2018 or even Thanksgiving time. A shame not getting 2 HEA points, surrendering a 2 goal 3rd period lead. Listening to the final Vela penalty was frustrating. A win next week gives us 3/4 road points before the UML rematch. Looking around HEA, things could be worse.
                  Excellent points all around! Hopefully watching game tape clearly shows it. (Compete level). Was Cefalu out there last night? If not maybe he should be...
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Excellent points all around! Hopefully watching game tape clearly shows it. (Compete level). Was Cefalu out there last night? If not maybe he should be...
                    I really liked the early season 4th line. Did last night's 4th line get regular shifts?

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      With Eiserman out I have my doubts Vela will sit.
                      I disagree. Cannot have someone out there who spends well over half of his ice time in the penalty box. Wears down a team's PK, even when PPG's not given up. What happened to our SMT's? Perennially, the Cats are in the lowest five in Div 1 for taking penalties. I did not see the game; were any of Vela's five "good" penalties, ones that prevented a goal, etc?

Comment

I disagree. Cannot have someone out there who spends well over half of his ice time in the penalty box. Wears down a team's PK, even when PPG's not given up. What happened to our SMT's? Perennially, the Cats are in the lowest five in Div 1 for taking penalties. I did not see the game; were any of Vela's five "good" penalties, ones that prevented a goal, etc?
                        You may be right in theory, but Vela never missed a shift last night except for when he was physically in the penalty box. While not moving his feet effectively, he at least tried to defend with his stick - unlike many of his teammates who did neither. Hence all his penalties were lazy stick infractions.

In his defense, his fifth penalty was a very weak call. He was tied up physically fighting for the puck against the boards and it squirted free near his stick which had been turned around and stuck out of the scrum. The UVM player skated over it chasing a now loose puck and fell. It shouldn't have been called. Which is why, I assume, the ref three feet from the play did not make a call. The referee 100 feet from the play felt differently however...

The equivalent would have been Vela turned to face/defend his own goal and a UVM player skating full speed into his back and drawing an interference call. Still, UNH did not deserve even a tie, so it's hard to complain too much. And honestly a few of the penalties on both sides hinted at officials who just had to be involved in the game...
                        Last edited by Dan; 10-29-2017, 11:10 AM.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

I'm just thinking while he had an awful game (penalty wise) he still is needed offensively esp with Eiserman out. Not sure Coach operates that way either.

Hey trust me totally agree he should sit. Put Cefalu and Fregona back in that line up and pronto. Both play with a compete level sorely lacking as of late esp on the forecheck.
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-29-2017, 11:28 AM.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            I'm just thinking while he had an awful game (penalty wise) he still is needed offensively esp with Eiserman out. Not sure Coach operates that way either.

Hey trust me totally agree he should sit. Put Cefalu and Fregona back in that line up and pronto. Both play with a compete level sorely lacking as of late esp on the forecheck.
                            Thanks for the replies, HR and Dan. I need to see more games rather than commenting based solely on box scores. I hope to attend more games beginning in December, and trust that our record is still above 0.500 then.

Speaking of which, UNH still fifth in PWR, with PC only other HEA team in top 19. Inauspicious start for HEA teams in their OOC games. Of course, the shelves of other HEA teams not as heavily laden with cupcake OOC opponents as UNH.

UNH 36th in penalty minutes; I cannot remember any time in the last few years that we have been ranked so high in that category.
                            Last edited by Snively65; 10-29-2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

So what’s up with Grasso? Sophomore slump or just getting back into the swing of things? Seems pretty invisible out there so far, at least on the scoresheet.
                              GO BLUE!

Comment

At least 2, and I believe it was 3 of Vela's penalties were called by the ref at center ice and not the one looking directly at the play. The holding call (which was legitimate) was one and the last trip was as well. Not going to blast the officials for it being that way but the box score makes it look worse than it was. The only thing I can't believe they didn't call was the Vermont player who elbowed Blackburn in the back of the head driving him into the end boards in the third. But yeah, this game was not lost on officiating so I will leave it at that.

I think worse than the apparent lack of energy was the passing. I would say 40% if not more of our attempted breakout passes went right on to a Vermont players stick, and that was before they decided to shut down and sit on a two goal lead with 12 minutes left. I would also like to see the faceoff stats as my rough calculations put us at below a 25% win percentage on those as well.

It was rough to watch, so I will just take the tie and move on to Amherst next weekend. Looking for a much better effort and precision in their play.

Comment

Working...
                                X