New arena for Ohio State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New arena for Ohio State?

per the Columbus Business First (pay wall protected) OSU is now in the early stages of considering a 4000 seat arena for men's and women's hockey. It would replace the 17500 seat Schottenstein Center.

First Ohio Battery also has an article derived from the report that ends with something OSU fans know to be true...

Though the program is on the rise, having returned this year to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2009 under head coach Steve Rohlik and recently produced Ottawa Senators forward Ryan Dzingel, the arena in many ways is a recruiting disadvantage.

Not only does it feel largely empty even during the biggest games with curtains draped across the upper bowl of the arena, but the team often must dress at the Schott and take a bus across the Olentangy River to the Ice Rink just to practice. Finding a suitable home for the women’s team, which plays in the charming yet ancient Ice Rink, is a concern too.
    Link to First Ohio Battery articke.

https://www.1stohiobattery.com/colum...olumbus-hockey

Re: New arena for Ohio State?

Why 4,000? Aren't we averaging over 4K in the Schott right now? And with Big Ten teams + Notre Dame coming every year, I don't see that going down unless the program really hits the skids again. I would think 6000-6500 would be about right. 4K in a 6K arena is not an empty barn, and packed full for Michigan or Minnesota, it's rocking.

Comment

Yeah, 4000 for OSU sounds too small. Minimum should be 5000 and something in the 6000-7500 range would be better.

Comment

You would be sorry later with 4000 seats once it is built.
        MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
        2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

There's a big difference between actual attendance and reported attendance.
          Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
            Agreed, but don't under-build the thing. UW cheaped out/shrunk LaBahn Arena from the original plan of 4400 to 2200 and they have regretted it ever since. There's plenty of FB money to get it built right.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
              That may be, but the reported attendance of the 69 OSU home games since the start of the B1G had 49 of them above 4,000. The median for the 69 games is 4,831 and the median for the 39 B1G league games is 5,748. Of the 20 games below 4,000 in reported attendance only 3 were during the 2016-17 season and only only 2 were B1G league games (both in 2014-15). Thirty-two games had reported attendance above 5,000 and 16 had reported attendance above 6,000. Based on those numbers even if actual attendance was 1,000 less for every game a 5,000 seat arena would be on the smaller size, with a 6,000 seat arena probably the best size. Of course, games could still be played at the Schott, but if too many ended up being played there it would reduce the value of a dedicated arena for the men.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Of all the Bi6(7) conference teams, how many can say hockey is their #1 sport on campus? Minnesota and.....? Nobody. That's why you would build a 4k seat arena...they're being realistic. No one in the conference outside MN really cares about hockey. The schools spend their money on football and basketball. I think it is pretty much common knowledge at this point that the formation of the conference was just a way to bring more revenue to the BigTen and help fill their network's weekday overnight time slots.
                Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with having a smaller arena that gives you an actual home-ice advantage. If you're routinely selling out then raise ticket prices.

Anything larger than 6,000 would be a waste of money.

I do find some irony that OSU is having these discussions after firing their last head coach for broaching the same topic (albeit more loudly).
                  Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Agreed, but don't under-build the thing. UW cheaped out/shrunk LaBahn Arena from the original plan of 4400 to 2200 and they have regretted it ever since. There's plenty of FB money to get it built right.
                    Cheaped out and/or got the middle finger from Barry for NHL alumni not responding to his public pouting about donations.

It's worth remembering that before he blew our socks off, he was pretty much **** for the hockey program.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      Of all the Bi6(7) conference teams, how many can say hockey is their #1 sport on campus? Minnesota and.....? Nobody. That's why you would build a 4k seat arena...they're being realistic. No one in the conference outside MN really cares about hockey. The schools spend their money on football and basketball. I think it is pretty much common knowledge at this point that the formation of the conference was just a way to bring more revenue to the BigTen and help fill their network's weekday overnight time slots.
                      Ryan J
                      Hockey isn't MN's number 1 sport, according the administration. Football still wins, and b-ball might be second if it's any good that year. Hockey merely has the tradition and a strong base of fans, but that's not worth enough money to the school or the B1G.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I am in total agreement with those who believe a new arena for OSU should seat 6,000 minimum. Don't short-change our hockey program with an undersized facility. We averaged more than 5,000 this season, so I am not sure why the university is proposing building a new arena that holds less than that and would be the smallest arena in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Ryan J
                          All 6 Big 10 teams were in the top 13 in attendance. 3 in the top 5. Wisconsin was the only team besides N. Dakota to average over 10,000. And if you've ever been to "Hockey Valley," you'd know there is great passion for hockey at Penn State. Do the draw 100,000 like football? No. But of the 54 non-Big Ten teams, only 2 outdrew the Nittany Lions.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Unless it's against Michigan, I've never seen them pull in a big crowd for hockey.
                            ---
                            National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                            Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                            19 Conference Championships
                            10 Conference Tournament Championships
                            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                              Unless it's against Michigan, I've never seen them pull in a big crowd for hockey.
                              Besides when they played Michigan how many OSU home games have you attended over the past 4 seasons? And who were the opponents?

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                              X