Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
    The Nanooks beat them 5-1 in Fairbanks, right? They just have to play like they did that game. They can do it.
    5-0, actually. Mankato responsed by taking Frye out at the knees about 20 seconds into the following game.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Re: Alaska Nanooks 2017-2018 Season

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      5-0, actually. Mankato responsed by taking Frye out at the knees about 20 seconds into the following game.
      Figures. I remember when DU did that to Nathan Lawson, after we creamed them the night before. Win at all costs? Bush league.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Figures. I remember when DU did that to Nathan Lawson, after we creamed them the night before. Win at all costs? Bush league.
        My memory is failing. According to the box score it was contact to the head with a game misconduct, and it was 15 seconds into the game.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

The D didn’t do him any favors, but he has to stop more of those shots in playoff hockey.

Sounds harsh, but a goalie at this level could have a hard time coming back from the last three starts Martinsson has had. If I recall…
          1. Gave up 3 goals on first five shots vs UAA Friday night.
          2. Gave up 2 goals on first two shots Saturday night vs UAA
          3. Gave up 2 goals on first four shots vs MSU Friday, and 6 goals on the 22 shots he faced.

Not sure if it’s better to let him start and hope he ends the season with a decent game, or keep him out and not risk crushing what little confidence he might have left.

The only chance we have of beating MSU is to stay aggressive and attack. But that’s also how the wheels can come off and lose by six goals. If we sit back and focus on defense we might only lose by a goal or two. Go for it. As the supreme leader once said…”what have you got to lose?”

Go Nooks!

Comment

I can see why the refs disallowed the goal Friday night, and it probably didn’t make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

But…although the Alaska forward did have his skate behind the goalie, the goalie was still drifting out and the Alaska player did not interfere with goalie play, IMHO. Didn’t look to me like the goalie tried to slide his leg backwards at all. But we aren’t going to get many breaks at MSU. It would be nice to get an upset win at MSU, but nobody can pretend we are near as good of a team.

Go Nooks!

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
              The D didn’t do him any favors, but he has to stop more of those shots in playoff hockey.

Sounds harsh, but a goalie at this level could have a hard time coming back from the last three starts Martinsson has had. If I recall…
              1. Gave up 3 goals on first five shots vs UAA Friday night.
              2. Gave up 2 goals on first two shots Saturday night vs UAA
              3. Gave up 2 goals on first four shots vs MSU Friday, and 6 goals on the 22 shots he faced.

Not sure if it’s better to let him start and hope he ends the season with a decent game, or keep him out and not risk crushing what little confidence he might have left.

The only chance we have of beating MSU is to stay aggressive and attack. But that’s also how the wheels can come off and lose by six goals. If we sit back and focus on defense we might only lose by a goal or two. Go for it. As the supreme leader once said…”what have you got to lose?”

Go Nooks!
              He’s been chased three games in a row, which has to be some kind of record. I can’t imagine him starting...it’s not fair to him, let alone the team. Even if it wasn’t the (likely) last game of the season, he could use a break.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                He’s been chased three games in a row, which has to be some kind of record. I can’t imagine him starting...it’s not fair to him, let alone the team. Even if it wasn’t the (likely) last game of the season, he could use a break.
                In 2006-07, we had this really weird thing happen: in the three games of our CHA tournament, coming in as the lowest seed ...
                v. WSU: http://collegehockeystats.net/0607/boxes/malhwsu1.m09 - Blake MacNicol starts, Marc Narduzzi finishes with an OT win
                v. NU: http://collegehockeystats.net/0607/boxes/malhnia1.m10 - Narduzzi goes the whole way
                v. RMU: http://collegehockeystats.net/0607/boxes/malhrmu1.m11 - Narduzzi gives up goals on three of his first four shots, MacNicol wins in OT to put UAH in the NCAAs for the first time
                v. Notre Dame in the NCAAs: http://collegehockeystats.net/0607/boxes/malhndm1.m23 - MacNicol gives up goals on two of his first three shots, then Narduzzi stops the next 49 to send the game into 2OT (one of the longest games in NCAA history at 95:18)

MacNicol was probably the better goalie at the time, but ... well, he joined the club at Christmas from Bay State in the EJHL (yes, we took a Tier III kid mid-season) because Jordan Erickson left (for reasons I've never learned), leaving us with just Narduzzi. Since he came in mid-season, he was still wearing his green-and-gold mask from juniors ... which our AD forbade him to use in the NCAAs. He told me later that he was having serious site-line issues with it.

I don't know that this means that you'll make the NCAAs, but it's a goofy story that you could ask Lance West about since he was the AC at the time. Hell, he's probably the guy who found MacNicol. (Cam Talbot was supposed to come in that year.)

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

1 goal game going into the third.

If ever there was a time...go get it, boys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                    1 goal game going into the third.

If ever there was a time...go get it, boys.
                    Need a good faceplant GIF right about now.

Comment

That was tough to watch. Niko made some stellar saves to help keep it close. Really wanted our seniors to continue on by pulling off an upset. It was heartbreaking to see them in their final shift. They didn’t quit until the final 5 seconds of the game when they got tied up with the puck behind the net. I think things are positive though moving on to next season. I have faith in Lance, the coaching staff and returning/new players. Going to go in to 2018-2019 super optimistic.

Forever and always proud of how this team battles. They’ve gone through so much as a team and it will all pay off soon.

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                        That was tough to watch. Niko made some stellar saves to help keep it close. Really wanted our seniors to continue on by pulling off an upset. It was heartbreaking to see them in their final shift. They didn’t quit until the final 5 seconds of the game when they got tied up with the puck behind the net. I think things are positive though moving on to next season. I have faith in Lance, the coaching staff and returning/new players. Going to go in to 2018-2019 super optimistic.

Forever and always proud of how this team battles. They’ve gone through so much as a team and it will all pay off soon.
                        Like UAA, you are losing a fair amount of scoring punch. Hopefully UAA and UA_ will see better days.
                        Originally Posted by aparch
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Like UAA, you are losing a fair amount of scoring punch. Hopefully UAA and UA_ will see better days.
                          I’m more worried about losing our top two blueliners (Frye and Woods). Frye was our leading scorer but we have a nice crop of (hopefully) returning forwards (Leiter, Hope, Jandric, Staley, TVT) who can all score; I don’t think burying the puck will be a big issue.

Unless we get better defensively and in net I think next year will pretty much be a repeat of this year. The silver lining is Anton and Niko both got game experience this year, with the opportunity to get better over the summer.

The other big elephant in the room is whether or not Lance comes back as head coach. Apparently they have to post the position per UA policy since he was an interim. It remains to be seen if it’s just posted for two weeks and removed or if they will do a full search. Personally I hope he is retained.

Comment

• Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post

It was a heartbreaking end to a disappointing season. A month ago we were in sixth place and had hopes for home ice. We instead finished on an eight game winless skid, including two losses to anchorage. Win one or two of those games and the outcome may have been better with a different opponent. Hard to see the careers of the seniors end like this after all the blood, sweat and tears they have put in. It was nice to see Hinz playing forward in the last minute as they tried to get him his first career goal. It instead ended with him jamming at the puck under LaCouvee and going to the penalty box. The offense I believe will be strong next year. It is the defense that will need some help. I am really hoping Froese can come back 100 percent next season and finish out his career in style. It will be a long seven months, I can’t wait for next season to begin!

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                              I’m more worried about losing our top two blueliners (Frye and Woods). Frye was our leading scorer but we have a nice crop of (hopefully) returning forwards (Leiter, Hope, Jandric, Staley, TVT) who can all score; I don’t think burying the puck will be a big issue.

Unless we get better defensively and in net I think next year will pretty much be a repeat of this year. The silver lining is Anton and Niko both got game experience this year, with the opportunity to get better over the summer.

The other big elephant in the room is whether or not Lance comes back as head coach. Apparently they have to post the position per UA policy since he was an interim. It remains to be seen if it’s just posted for two weeks and removed or if they will do a full search. Personally I hope he is retained.
                              I'm glad Woods is leaving, got some serious potential.
                              Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                                I'm glad Woods is leaving, got some serious potential.
                                Word was some NHL scouts were in town looking at him and Frye a few weeks ago. I’m sure they’ll both get some AHL/ECHL deals here shortly.

Comment

Working...
                                X