bu off-season - #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: bu off-season - #1

I hope everyone's right about crone. But I can't remember the last kid that wasn't drafted that came into BU and produced year one

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike799 View Post
      I hope everyone's right about crone. But I can't remember the last kid that wasn't drafted that came into BU and produced year one
      Has had some contact with NHL teams
      BU needs good 4 year guys, not one or two and out

Comment

Undrafted freshman Bobo Carpenter was 4th on BU in goals, and had a similar output in his previous USHL season to Crone's this year.

Not saying it will happen, but it can happen.

Comment

I'm not saying four year guys don't produce during their careers. I'm just saying they don't produce during their freshman year. Bobo had 16 points in 39 games his freshman year

Comment

Originally posted by Mike799 View Post
            I know it isn't very recent, but I'm pretty sure Mike Prendergast wasn't drafted, and he started a very solid 4 year career by leading the team in goals (tied with P. Koskimaki if memory serves) as a freshman with 19.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

I'm not saying four year guys don't produce during their careers. I'm just saying they don't produce during their freshman year. Bobo had 16 points in 39 games his freshman year
              Originally posted by defkit View Post
              I know it isn't very recent, but I'm pretty sure Mike Prendergast wasn't drafted, and he started a very solid 4 year career by leading the team in goals (tied with P. Koskimaki if memory serves) as a freshman with 19.
              Knowing that Mike's floor for 'producing' is above 16 points I created a spreadsheet with every Terrier's draft position and freshman scoring since the start of Hockey East in 1984. A quick look shows that only 17 of the 80 freshmen on the list weren't drafted. Still, the list shows that Brandon Fortunato had 1-17-18 in 2014-15, Sahir Gill had 6-19-25 in 2010-11 and Chris Connolly had 10-20-30 in 2008-09.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Tweeted today:
                Drew Melanson‏ @Drewfro27 2h2 hours ago
                Proud to become an RPI alum today. Thx to @RPIAthletics for the support over the last 3 years. Looking forward to next year @TerrierHockey

https://***********/Drewfro27/status/865982837362749440
                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

If Crone has a career at BU similar to Peter MacArthur's, I'll take that.

Comment

I've updated my spreadsheet of BU freshmen scoring and draft positions with 4 additional sheets: all freshmen 1984-2017, all sophomores 1984-2017, all juniors 1984-2017 and all seniors 1984-2017. I may have missed a draft pick or two if a play was not a BU freshman but transferred ti BU later. Mike Prendergast (19-15-34) is the highest scoring undrafted freshman; Pete MacArthur (14-25-39) is the highest scoring undrafted sophomore; Carl Corazzini (22-20-40) is the highest scoring undrafted junior; and Evan Rodrigues (21-40-61) is the highest scoring undrafted senior.

Sean
                    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 05-21-2017, 02:24 PM.

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Are we only taking about 4 year players here? Eichel would he the highest scoring Un-drafted freshman wouldn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                        Are we only taking about 4 year players here? Eichel would he the highest scoring Un-drafted freshman wouldn't he?
                        I suppose if you want to be technical. But I think the original premise by Mike was that the player did not get drafted when eligible.

Brady Tkachuk will be in a similar position next season.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          Originally posted by defkit View Post
                          I suppose if you want to be technical. But I think the original premise by Mike was that the player did not get drafted when eligible.

Brady Tkachuk will be in a similar position next season.
                          As mentioned, Mike's original post was regarding undrafted players, or as defkit states, players who did not get drafted when eligible. Since Eichel was drafted, even though it was after his freshman season (and everyone knew he was going to be drafted), he is still a Terrier who was drafted. For that same reason I noted the four Terriers taken in the short-lived NHL Supplemental Draft (1986-1994) for college players with SD to indicate they were drafted.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I've updated my spreadsheet of BU Class scoring and draft positions again. It now includes every season since the start of the NHL Amateur Draft in 1963 and includes both the NHL Supplemental Draft (4 players) and the WHA Amateur Draft (1 player not also selected in the NHL Amateur Draft). All told, 72 of 100 freshmen who scored 17+ points and 149 of 297 freshmen overall were drafted at some point. By class BU has had 149 freshmen*, 140 sophomores, 116 juniors and 84 seniors who have been drafted, while overall 155 of 451 Terriers who have played at BU in the draft era have been drafted.

Mark Fidler (30-35-65) is the highest scoring Terrier freshman to not be drafted; Herb Wakabayashi (16-51-67) and Mike Hyndman (23-44-67) are the highest scoring sophomores to not be drafted; Fred Bassi (35-29-64) and John Danby (28-36-64) are the highest scoring juniors to be drafted; and Rick Meagher (34-46-80) is the highest scoring senior not to be drafted. Meagher (90-120-210) is also the highest career leader in points not to be drafted.

Sean

* BU has also had one player who never played a minute for the varsity (according to BU records) who was drafted: Brian O'Connor, listed as a freshman in the 1977-78 media guide.

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Interesting read from Fluto's Sunday column:

Boston College and Boston University repeatedly recruit some of the world’s best teenagers. The drawback, if you can call it that, of landing top talent is acknowledging their professional flight risks. Clayton Keller signed with Arizona after his freshman season. Charlie McAvoy and Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson became Bruins after staying at BU for two years.

After the 2015-16 season, BC coach Jerry York watched freshmen Zach Sanford and Miles Wood turn pro. Alex Tuch, who has completed his sophomore season, signed with the Wild.

Such first- and second-year departures have not been common at Notre Dame, the school that Anders Bjork might return to for his senior season. It is partly by design.

Fighting Irish coach Jeff Jackson targets recruits lower on the food chain such as Bjork and goalie Cal Petersen, fifth-round selections of the Bruins and Sabres, respectively. Their draft position is one reason neither player considered turning pro earlier in their college careers.

“Bjork’s not a first-round pick. Petersen’s not a first-round pick,” Jackson said of his 2016-17 co-MVPs. “That’s probably the biggest reason. I’m getting guys who are fourth- and fifth-round picks. A guy like [Stephen] Johns was a second-rounder, but we’re about getting guys who are a little bit less high-profile but still have the drive and determination to be players, and we try to develop them.”

One advantage of recruiting second-tier players is the likelihood of them staying in school longer. NHL teams are not as anxious about turning lower-round selections pro.

The Penguins, for example, watched 2010 third-round pick Bryan Rust stay at Notre Dame for four seasons before welcoming him to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. But Beau Bennett, Pittsburgh’s 2010 first-rounder, signed after his sophomore season at the University of Denver.

The longer players stay in school, the deeper connections they usually make with their programs. It’s possible Bjork and Petersen have something to prove before moving on. In Notre Dame’s last game of the season, Denver laid down a 6-1 hammering in the Frozen Four semifinals. It was similar to Notre Dame’s 5-1 loss to UMass Lowell in the Hockey East semis. Nine days later, the Irish qualified for the Frozen Four and won their revenge by ending Lowell’s season with a 3-2 overtime decision.

“I wouldn’t say we would have beaten Denver. They looked like a team of destiny,” Jackson said. “But I think our team was embarrassed by that game before a big crowd of family, friends, and fans. I would certainly hope they learn from that experience and grow from it . . . Frankly, we’re on the same course as what Denver was on four years ago. They didn’t make the tournament four years ago. They made it three years ago. We got knocked out in the first round last year. This year, we made it to the Frozen Four. This class of upcoming seniors, which Cal and Anders are both part of, it’s had the same trajectory Denver had. The big thing is Denver kept their seniors around. They kept guys like Will Butcher around. That certainly bodes well for any team that moves in that level.”
                              It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Mark Fidler (30-35-65) is the highest scoring Terrier freshman to not be drafted; Herb Wakabayashi (16-51-67) and Mike Hyndman (23-44-67) are the highest scoring sophomores to not be drafted; Fred Bassi (35-29-64) and John Danby (28-36-64) are the highest scoring juniors to be drafted; and Rick Meagher (34-46-80) is the highest scoring senior not to be drafted. Meagher (90-120-210) is also the highest career leader in points not to be drafted.

Sean

* BU has also had one player who never played a minute for the varsity (according to BU records) who was drafted: Brian O'Connor, listed as a freshman in the 1977-78 media guide.
                                And then there is John Cullen, who was drafted by Buffalo, but they didn't sign him, despite 241 career points, so he went to the IHL, won the MVP as a rookie, and played for Pittsburgh and Harford (anyone else?).

Comment

Working...
                                X