bu off-season - #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: bu off-season - #1

He gave himself an out with the never say never. Even then, didn't he say JFK was coming back? Things can and do change. Buffalo in a vacuum is not a special job. But the prospect of reuniting with Eichel as he enters his prime sounds enticing to me. There are only 30 or whatever NHL head coaching jobs. And if it doesn't work out he can always return to college hockey. Strike when you have the chance. It's an interesting situation.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      He gave himself an out with the never say never. Even then, didn't he say JFK was coming back? Things can and do change. Buffalo in a vacuum is not a special job. But the prospect of reuniting with Eichel as he enters his prime sounds enticing to me. There are only 30 or whatever NHL head coaching jobs. And if it doesn't work out he can always return to college hockey. Strike when you have the chance. It's an interesting situation.
      I agree Buffalo on its own is not an enticing job, but having Eichel is. That said, do you base your entire coaching decision on one player who may or may not leave in a year? Also, while Quinn could obviously return to college hockey if the NHL didn't work, he wouldn't likely be able to return to a job at the level he has now with the facilities and recruiting machine that he's built. All things for him to consider.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

What's the saying, NHL coaches are hired so they can be fired. That's the reality he'll have to weigh against the job security he has at BU if Buffalo is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          I've always thought they called the wrong stick infraction on that play. If you watch it, and video of the penalty is scarce now, they call it on the guy backchecking one of Eichel/O'Regan (I forgot who) but in fact the other backchecker on the other of the two BU forwards is more egregiously committing a stick infraction. I remember watching in real time I thought they'd called it on the other NU guy and not the one who was actually whistled.
          Sorry for the delay, I had trouble with my editing software and computer. Also, my original has video issues (I don't recall if they are from the DVR, or happened when I created the file). Anyway, I have uploaded the overtime to YouTube.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            Sorry for the delay, I had trouble with my editing software and computer. Also, my original has video issues (I don't recall if they are from the DVR, or happened when I created the file). Anyway, I have uploaded the overtime to YouTube.

Sean
            Thank you! 0:32 is the infraction I was talking about. They call the penalty on Benning backchecking O'Regan - that's much less of an infraction and highly questionable as a penalty. Look at the guy covering Eichel, he gets blown by and reaches around with his stick, gets it totally around Jack's body and at one point under his armpit. There's a great angle at 0:53 of how egregious the hook on Eichel is. It gets back to the original point, if NU doesn't let Jack and Danny blow by their entire team five seconds into the OT this penalty doesn't occur. It occurs because NU had poor and lazy D coverage and our forwards took advantage of it.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Quinn would be an idiot to leave BU, just like Nick Saban or John Calipari would be dumb to leave their jobs for the pros. (Look how it turned out the first time they tried it) His biggest strength is recruiting and that obviously goes away if he leaves for an NHL job.
              2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
              2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Look how it turned out? They got paid big bucks and then landed on their feet with premier college coaching jobs. Not great examples.

Comment

Dean blais is probably the best comparison

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    Look how it turned out? They got paid big bucks and then landed on their feet with premier college coaching jobs. Not great examples.
                    Saban was 15-17 and Calipari was 72-112 as pro coaches. Obviously, they've returned to college and they've had unparalleled success, I'm simply saying they were below average professional coaches who probably wish they never left the college game.
                    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

For every Saban/Calipari who found top-tier college jobs after failing in the pros there's a PJ Carlesimo, Lon Kruger, Leonard Hamilton, or Mike Montgomery who left very good college situations for the NBA, failed, and ended up clawing their way back up from second or third tier college jobs. There also aren't nearly as many coaching jobs in the Alabama football, UK basketball top-tier category in hockey. There's...BC, UND, MN, BU, Mich, Wisconsin, DU.... For DQ, forget UND, MN, Michigan, or BC - all hiring within the family/region if the job's available. Maybe DU or Wisconsin if there was a vacancy. I don't know that BU would want to rehire a guy who left them already. Beyond that he's looking at second-tier jobs. TB's point is a good one, he's got enormous job security at BU, I don't know that an NHL job with a rebuilding franchise is the best move. If a big market franchise with the players and foundation to win now like the Bruins or Kings come calling, that's another story.
                      Last edited by brassbonanza; 04-21-2017, 12:30 AM.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Dean blais is probably the best comparison
                        Probably the closest and even then he wasn't the head coach, being the associate coach for 2 seasons. Quinn has already had that position and definitely wouldn't leave for an AC position. Red Bereson started as a NHL head coach and made the move to college. I cannot recall any college head coach going to the NHL as a head coach and then coming back to college. At least not in the modern era.

Comment

Might happen with hakstol at some point. Blais is really the intriguing one. Had a wagon at a top job. Upon his return, landed at Omaha. Had some good teams but nothing like at UND. Wonder what history would look like had he stayed at UND. Maybe he thinks about that too.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            For every Saban/Calipari who found top-tier college jobs after failing in the pros there's a PJ Carlesimo, Lon Kruger, Leonard Hamilton, or Mike Montgomery who left very good college situations for the NBA, failed, and ended up clawing their way back up from second or third tier college jobs. There also aren't nearly as many coaching jobs in the Alabama football, UK basketball top-tier category in hockey. There's...BC, UND, MN, BU, Mich, Wisconsin, DU.... For DQ, forget UND, MN, Michigan, or BC - all hiring within the family/region if the job's available. Maybe DU or Wisconsin if there was a vacancy. I don't know that BU would want to rehire a guy who left them already. Beyond that he's looking at second-tier jobs. TB's point is a good one, he's got enormous job security at BU, I don't know that an NHL job with a rebuilding franchise is the best move. If a big market franchise with the players and foundation to win now like the Bruins or Kings come calling, that's another story.
                            Related: Just saw that Jim Montgomery is interviewing with the Panthers.
                            Go BU!

Comment

Might happen with hakstol at some point. Blais is really the intriguing one. Had a wagon at a top job. Upon his return, landed at Omaha. Had some good teams but nothing like at UND. Wonder what history would look like had he stayed at UND. Maybe he thinks about that too.
                              Also maybe the Red Wings coach. Wasn't he one of the many rumored to be interviewing for the Michigan job?

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                                Saban was 15-17 and Calipari was 72-112 as pro coaches. Obviously, they've returned to college and they've had unparalleled success, I'm simply saying they were below average professional coaches who probably wish they never left the college game.
                                "Below average professional coaches" ...
                                Under .500 coaches, yes. But in Saban's case, he did better than okay based on what he walked into and had to work with. We have no idea how he would have done had he stayed in the pros.

Calipari does very well when he the very best players. A lot of coaches are like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X