Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bu off-season - #1

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    I just want to point out, before the other thread was closed, there was a limey appearance. And a few days before that SteveF posted for the first time in a few years.

Apocalypse is coming.
    stevef materialized out of the abyss?? And I missed it?? D@mmit. Is he going to Chicago? You are, right?

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
      I don't really get why they would want to pressure him to do so. I think he will b a long-tome NHL player, but I don't see him getting more than a few games in Boston next year. Too deep at Center. Come back to Comm Ave for another year.
      Link to Globe Story: https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...N2O/story.html

Story sites Vesey's situation, which really doesn't apply since JFK will be a Junior this year, not a senior. Seems early to be panicking about that.
      It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
        Link to Globe Story: https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...N2O/story.html

Story sites Vesey's situation, which really doesn't apply since JFK will be a Junior this year, not a senior. Seems early to be panicking about that.
        That's true, but I feared the Vesey situation would lead to this stuff. While there had been a couple of prior incidences of 4 year players not signing with their draft teams (Blake Wheeler, Kevin Hayes etc.), no team had flipped their wig over it the way Nashville did after Vesey didn't sign.

Now there is an epidemic of teams pressuring their college draft picks to sign ASAP for fear that if they stay until their senior years, they'll lose them. This is bad development for college hockey as a whole.
        The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
        BC - 12
        BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
          That's true, but I feared the Vesey situation would lead to this stuff. While there had been a couple of prior incidences of 4 year players not signing with their draft teams (Blake Wheeler, Kevin Hayes etc.), no team had flipped their wig over it the way Nashville did after Vesey didn't sign.

Now there is an epidemic of teams pressuring their college draft picks to sign ASAP for fear that if they stay until their senior years, they'll lose them. This is bad development for college hockey as a whole.
          While I understand the fear over the Vesey/Hayes situations as Bomber noted this doesn't yet apply to JFK. If they couldn't get him to sign after his junior year then they'd have lots of other issues.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Oh Chicago was pretty pizzed off about Hayes. They whined a lot about it ... maybe only slightly less than Nashville. And Nashville definitely was flipping out about it.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              Oh Chicago was pretty pizzed off about Hayes. They whined a lot about it ... maybe only slightly less than Nashville. And Nashville definitely was flipping out about it.
              Hayes was a first round pick, so at least Chicago got compensation. Vesey didn't result in any compensation for Nashville (until Buffalo traded a 4th rounder for the exclusive rights to negotiate), so they had a bit more to complain about.
              BS UMass Lowell 2015
              PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Not sure how much he'll play in the NHL, but Maine's Blaine Byron is going the free agency route as well instead of signing with Pittsburgh.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                  Hayes was a first round pick, so at least Chicago got compensation. Vesey didn't result in any compensation for Nashville (until Buffalo traded a 4th rounder for the exclusive rights to negotiate), so they had a bit more to complain about.
                  Also, Chicago had much more of a roster to sustain losing Hayes than Nashville did losing Vesey. I still have trouble seeing how either situation would really petrify the Bruins that much unless they're really that inept in the front office. I'm not a Bruins fan so I wouldn't know how much of an idiot Sweeney is or isn't.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Changing the subject a bit, the DFP interview with Quinn reported that Prawdzik will return from the NAHL as planned in the fall. So where does that leave Connor Lacouvee? Does anyone doubt that, barring an injury or when some rest is needed, Oettinger is an everyday goalie. Just looking at the numbers, there is no way the roster for next year is settled.
                    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

is it guaranteed a team doesn't take jake early and want him to sign?
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        is it guaranteed a team doesn't take jake early and want him to sign?
                        Not a whole lot of precedent of drafting an 18-year-old goalie and signing him immediately. Could happen I suppose, but it'd be highly unusual. He certainly wouldn't step into an NHL roster and the team likely would want him to stay in college to get practice and a significant number of games under his belt for another year or two. They'd have to have a unique roster situation where they'd have an open spot on their AHL roster for a goalie to get regular starts and practice.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Quinn may have tried a preemptive strike to try and keep as many guys as possible but I'd say there is literally no chance that whoever drafts Oettinger signs him after the draft.

Comment

What MJ team drafted jake (if any)?
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Ricky DiPietro being an exception (look at where that got the Islanders), top college goalies tend to play 3 years from what I have seen. Oettinger is projected as either a late round 1 or more likely round 2 so he really isn't in that one and done level plus he only turns 19 in December. I see no rush to sign him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                                Changing the subject a bit, the DFP interview with Quinn reported that Prawdzik will return from the NAHL as planned in the fall. So where does that leave Connor Lacouvee? Does anyone doubt that, barring an injury or when some rest is needed, Oettinger is an everyday goalie. Just looking at the numbers, there is no way the roster for next year is settled.
                                I expect Oettinger, Lacouvee and Prawdzik to all be on the roster next season. Since Prawdzik would be a redshirt Sophomore next year, once Lacouvee graduates he will be #2 on the depth chart & the primary backup in his Junior & Senior years, barring anything unforseen w/ Oettinger.

Comment

Working...
                                X