Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    1. No - I believe Mel thinks he can win a National Championship at Tech.
    2A. Yes - I feel Glen and Suzanne are firmly behind Mel. I've seen Glen at pretty much every major hockey event. Glen knows a winning hockey team is a great ambassador and free advertising for Tech. As for part B of the question, could Mel win a National Championship easier by taking another job? Likely yes, but not at any of the schools that are currently available (and I'm including Michigan in that list). And even if he did, would it mean as much to him as winning one at Tech? Michigan hockey will always be the red-headed step child to football and basketball on that campus. And when it comes to part A of this question, Tech is the choice hands down in that regard.
    3. If you have seen any of Mel's Tweets about fishing, sauna, driving a front end loader to clear snow, the connection to the community, etc then I again feel his answer is Houghton.

Further on 2A, yes, he can go to other programs that might give him a better chance to win. I won't dispute that fact. Some programs have an easier time recruiting (grade requirements, big city life, winning tradition, another conference, etc) and having Mel coaching that team would only make it easier. However when you go to those programs the bar will be set at the level of "Win a championship or you're gone..." I feel Mel could put up another 10 years of just 20+ wins seasons with a few key wins sprinkled in (win an in-season tourney, beat some top 5 ranked teams, win the WCHA a couple times, etc) without winning the big one and no one is going to pressure him to leave. He took the program from a dumpster fire on ice to a national contending program. After what Tech has been through since MacInnes left, who isn't going to be happy with contending for a conference title almost every year, getting to the NCAA tourney every couple seasons and generally winning more than we lose?

Ryan
    JJ while I applaud your enthusiasm, you don't have the whole picture. So my advice would be to pipe down for a while on this subject and just wait and see what happens.
    I do agree we will get more and better recruits once this is put to rest.
    We also know just where we are as a program and what level we need to get to in order to win. I don't think we can match the level of recruits that UND or BU get. The only way forward is to find players who can develop into the top skill kind of guys and who are willing to put in the work to get there.
    IMHO we have to be better in most parts of the game.It's not a big jump, but we have room to improve and we need to.

I like the coaches' position about playing the toughest teams we can and I hope we continue that. I also hope we get a better mix of home and away games. BTW, we open against Union at the ice breaker next fall, correct? any other people have any schedule infomation?
    I thought this year, there we plenty of games for me to go see here in the lower. In years past that was not always the case. Some of those games became defacto home games there were so many Tech people. It's not just playing tough teams but you have to win those games. the loss to MSU early in the year hurt us.

Last, this program runs on money. If you haven't donated, please consider doing so.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      1. No - I believe Mel thinks he can win a National Championship at Tech.
      2A. Yes - I feel Glen and Suzanne are firmly behind Mel. I've seen Glen at pretty much every major hockey event. Glen knows a winning hockey team is a great ambassador and free advertising for Tech. As for part B of the question, could Mel win a National Championship easier by taking another job? Likely yes, but not at any of the schools that are currently available (and I'm including Michigan in that list). And even if he did, would it mean as much to him as winning one at Tech? Michigan hockey will always be the red-headed step child to football and basketball on that campus. And when it comes to part A of this question, Tech is the choice hands down in that regard.
      3. If you have seen any of Mel's Tweets about fishing, sauna, driving a front end loader to clear snow, the connection to the community, etc then I again feel his answer is Houghton.

Further on 2A, yes, he can go to other programs that might give him a better chance to win. I won't dispute that fact. Some programs have an easier time recruiting (grade requirements, big city life, winning tradition, another conference, etc) and having Mel coaching that team would only make it easier. However when you go to those programs the bar will be set at the level of "Win a championship or you're gone..." I feel Mel could put up another 10 years of just 20+ wins seasons with a few key wins sprinkled in (win an in-season tourney, beat some top 5 ranked teams, win the WCHA a couple times, etc) without winning the big one and no one is going to pressure him to leave. He took the program from a dumpster fire on ice to a national contending program. After what Tech has been through since MacInnes left, who isn't going to be happy with contending for a conference title almost every year, getting to the NCAA tourney every couple seasons and generally winning more than we lose? Ryan
      Let me add this, Glen AND Suzanne are 200% behind tMel and the hockey team. I've had several personal discussions with them. It's not even about the free advertising. Community and Alumni.

Put it this way, if they need more funds for hockey they can get it.

No tMel Pearson show?

Comment

Re: MICHIGAN TECH 2017 OFF-SEASON - We're Adding to the Trophy Case & Keeping Pearson

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Let me add this, Glen AND Suzanne are 200% behind tMel and the hockey team. I've had several personal discussions with them. It's not even about the free advertising. Community and Alumni.

Put it this way, if they need more funds for hockey they can get it.

No tMel Pearson show?
        MPS will be on Wednesday morning at 9am this week, as Mel is out of town.

And I for one doubt he is in Ann Arbor.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
          MPS will be on Wednesday morning at 9am this week, as Mel is out of town.

And I for one doubt he is in Ann Arbor.
          Thanks. My guess tMel is either on a break or recruiting. Knowing Glen it would not be a surprise for him to be asking tMel what do you need to get past this next step. Glen is really good, he gets it. From my experience he's the kind of CEO that walks the factory floor to really see whats going on.

Comment

I don't want to overstep any bounds or violate any rules, but if it comes out that Red is retiring, would it be acceptable for fans to form a letter writing campaign to Mel to tell him how much we appreciate what he's done and how much the community supports him and to politely ask him to stay in Houghton? I mean, I am sure we could get a huge outpouring of support for him and if he see's that maybe it will make any decision easier.

I will say, he seems to truly love this team, school and community in a way and at a level I have never seen before by a coach. I know Jamie Russell did as well and it showed, but Mel really seems to be at another level. His opening the doors to the ice for fans to come on to celebrate the MacNaughton last year and the Broadmoor this year as well as his interaction with fans and the community and how he brings the team into the community, like I said, I have never seen any coach anywhere this involved and invested in the community and to me it shows a true love and passion for where he is and a belief in what he is doing. I have to think this bodes well for our chances at retaining him until he retires.
            2005-2006: 7-25-6
            2006-2007: 18-17-5
            2007-2008: 14-20-5
            2008-2009: 6-25-7
            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
              I don't want to overstep any bounds or violate any rules, but if it comes out that Red is retiring, would it be acceptable for fans to form a letter writing campaign to Mel to tell him how much we appreciate what he's done and how much the community supports him and to politely ask him to stay in Houghton? I mean, I am sure we could get a huge outpouring of support for him and if he see's that maybe it will make any decision easier.

I will say, he seems to truly love this team, school and community in a way and at a level I have never seen before by a coach. I know Jamie Russell did as well and it showed, but Mel really seems to be at another level. His opening the doors to the ice for fans to come on to celebrate the MacNaughton last year and the Broadmoor this year as well as his interaction with fans and the community and how he brings the team into the community, like I said, I have never seen any coach anywhere this involved and invested in the community and to me it shows a true love and passion for where he is and a belief in what he is doing. I have to think this bodes well for our chances at retaining him until he retires.
              Your second paragraph really hit the nail on the head. Very well phrased.
              Would the community write letters showing support for him? Not a doubt in my mind if it came to that.

Tech fans are the best in college hockey. I was at the game in Cincy and it shows.
              Other fan bases came up to me personally (whether at the bar pre or post game or at the arena between periods) and were impressed with the amount of fans that showed for the weekend and what sportsmanship we have. Proud Huskies fan here.
              MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
              2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

About departures (player, not coach), I don't see Roy being back, in fact, I am guessing he signs in the next few days. I would also not be surprised to see another D-man sign, or maybe even 2 more sign. I expect that we will see a completely new blueline next season, that is very young.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  About departures (player, not coach), I don't see Roy being back, in fact, I am guessing he signs in the next few days. I would also not be surprised to see another D-man sign, or maybe even 2 more sign. I expect that we will see a completely new blueline next season, that is very young.
                  Roy is the most likely target being a junior and there being interest from the Kings in getting him to the pros yet this season. I think it will happe soon or not until after next year.

Auk could also gain interest as a free agent. Might be one of the better free agent options on the blue line although I haven't kept on on silks list to see if he even made it.

Birks seems likely to play one more year since it seems Pittsburgh isn't pushing. despite his status as a sophomore, he's been out of junior hockey f or 3 years now so it seems likely he leaves after next season regardless of what happens this year.

Reinke is amazingly also undrafted and a free agent. I'm still not sure why no one took a chance on him. He could be gone this offseason but seems pretty likely not to last more than 2 years if he improves upon this season.

They all could go or they all could stay. Hopefully we know soon what's going on and none of them sign after the season NHL season is over. Based on what Mel has recruited, he appears to be expecting a couple to leave early and probably all of them over the next 2 years.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Roy is the most likely target being a junior and there being interest from the Kings in getting him to the pros yet this season. I think it will happe soon or not until after next year.

Auk could also gain interest as a free agent. Might be one of the better free agent options on the blue line although I haven't kept on on silks list to see if he even made it.

Birks seems likely to play one more year since it seems Pittsburgh isn't pushing. despite his status as a sophomore, he's been out of junior hockey f or 3 years now so it seems likely he leaves after next season regardless of what happens this year.

Reinke is amazingly also undrafted and a free agent. I'm still not sure why no one took a chance on him. He could be gone this offseason but seems pretty likely not to last more than 2 years if he improves upon this season.

They all could go or they all could stay. Hopefully we know soon what's going on and none of them sign after the season NHL season is over. Based on what Mel has recruited, he appears to be expecting a couple to leave early and probably all of them over the next 2 years.
                    Definitely, and the part about Reinke amazes me, to be honest, to me he may have been our best defenseman and he was only a freshman, that's just crazy.

Comment

Matt Roy has signed with the Kings, 2-year entry level contract.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

And the first domino falls...

Can't really be angry with him or fault him, just wish he could have stayed for next years National Championship run
                        Last edited by bose301s; 03-27-2017, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Our two most immediate concerns should be whether or not we still have a coaching staff by this time next month, and whether or not Roy foregoes his senior year (I predict this will depend heavily on the former). Shawhan will undoubtedly apply for the NMU job, and if Red really does hang up the whiteboard, I would peg Mel leaving for Michigan at 60 / 40 (stay / go) until further notice.

As a Lakers fan and a Up'er I can't see why Lord Mel would want to go back to aa. If he were ten years younger then the chances would be different. If Red retires my thought is 90 to 95 percent chance Lord Mel stays in God's country.
                          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Well, that was quick. There's one answered question. Here's the release.

http://michigantechhuskies.com/sports/mice/2016-17/releases/20170327ocgp28
                            Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 03-27-2017, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Bummer. I was hoping to see him for one more year.

No more departures please!

Comment

I'm pretty sure there will be at least 1 more, but if they do sign I hope they do it now and not in august. These agents, the way they harass the players, it's out of control.
                                I don't see Auk as ready to go yet. he still makes too many mistakes.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X