(5) Michigan vs. (4) Penn State

Friday:
    (2) Wisconsin vs. TBD
    (1) Minnesota vs. TBD

Saturday:
    TBD vs. TBD
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Re: BTHC Tourney '17: The Stands May Be Empty, But The Games Still Matter

The big picture:

Minnesota is the only team guaranteed an at-large berth at this point. Pe. State, Ohio State and Wisconsin are bubble teams, but the Badgers are on the outside looking in, and PSU and OSU are at 13th and 14th respectively. With the WCHA and AHA guaranteeing that only the top 14 are in, and who-knows making that number even smaller, it's basically must-win for all of them. Whatever hope there was for up to 4 B1G teams making the NCAAs is pretty well dead.

In other words: PSU or OSU might get lucky with a one-and-done performance, but I wouldn't count on it. I'd expect the tournament champ and the Gophers (and that's it) to make the field at this point.

Predictions? 50% chance that the Gophers take it. They're clearly the strongest team left. 3% chance Michigan rides their high from last weekend to the title. 15% chances for each of Ohio State and Penn State, who are both slightly better than the Badgers at the moment, but will have to play an extra game to get to the promised land. 17% chance for the Badgers, who are playing awful, and maybe won't stand much of a chance to get past Penn State, but still have a fairly high ceiling and one fewer game to play to get there.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      17% chance for the Badgers, who are playing awful, and maybe won't stand much of a chance to get past Penn State, but still have a fairly high ceiling and one fewer game to play to get there.
      Think you meant Ohio St.

With North Dakota and Notre Dame sweeping their series, and now Cornell beating Clarkson, results have not been going the way of the big ten bubble teams. Should still get a 2nd team, unless Minnesota wins it and Omaha or QU/StLaw crash the party. May have to worry about Air Force losing in their championship now too.

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
        Think you meant Ohio St.
        Right.

I've been so convinced for weeks that the Badgers would fall to PSU in the playoffs that it just stuck in my head when typing that.

Comment

Its going to take 2 wins for Ohio State to get in i think but that is also do able for them. I think that loss to State last weekend woke them up a bit. I dont see them losing on Thursday which sets up that 3rd game in less than a week with Wisconsin.

Comment

Thursday:
            (6) Michigan State vs. (3) Ohio State
            (5) Michigan vs. (4) Penn State

Friday:
            (2) Wisconsin vs. TBD
            (1) Minnesota vs. TBD

Saturday:
            TBD vs. TBD
            Bracket, times and TV info here: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...keyBracket.pdf
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The big picture:

Minnesota is the only team guaranteed an at-large berth at this point. Pe. State, Ohio State and Wisconsin are bubble teams, but the Badgers are on the outside looking in, and PSU and OSU are at 13th and 14th respectively. With the WCHA and AHA guaranteeing that only the top 14 are in, and who-knows making that number even smaller, it's basically must-win for all of them. Whatever hope there was for up to 4 B1G teams making the NCAAs is pretty well dead.
              If Wisconsin or either of the Michigan teams win the whole thing, that decreases the at larges to 13.

And I've not run any predictor numbers to see what happens to OSU or PSU if any of the Michigan teams win Thursday- they are really close at this point, and a loss to either MSU or UM would be a pretty bad one this late.

Given that Wisconsin does have a bye, that situation helps them quite a bit.

Numerically, the worst thing for the B1G is if OSU and PSU both lose Thursday, and then anyone but Minnesota wins- that pushes both teams down and takes an at large spot- giving the conference just 2.

On the other hand, if OSU and PSU win enough to play each other Saturday, can anyone run the numbers to see if they climb enough to get 3 in?

Those seem like the only choices for the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                If Wisconsin or either of the Michigan teams win the whole thing, that decreases the at larges to 13.

And I've not run any predictor numbers to see what happens to OSU or PSU if any of the Michigan teams win Thursday- they are really close at this point, and a loss to either MSU or UM would be a pretty bad one this late.

Given that Wisconsin does have a bye, that situation helps them quite a bit.

Numerically, the worst thing for the B1G is if OSU and PSU both lose Thursday, and then anyone but Minnesota wins- that pushes both teams down and takes an at large spot- giving the conference just 2.

On the other hand, if OSU and PSU win enough to play each other Saturday, can anyone run the numbers to see if they climb enough to get 3 in?

Those seem like the only choices for the conference.
                I think when you play around with the Pairwise Predictor, or check out the results of others who are doing so, you will find that the key to increased B1G school participation in the NCAA's will hinge upon:

1. PSU and OSU winning on Thursday.
                2. BC losing.
                3. Quinnipiac losing.
                4. North Dakota losing twice.
                5. Anyone but Minnesota winning the B1G tournament.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Will the number of posts in this thread be greater than the attendance for the weekend?
                  "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                    Will the number of posts in this thread be greater than the attendance for the weekend?
                    No question that I will have contributed to that probability.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Here is what i have come up with for Ohio state

0 wins
                      Out with canisius wins aha
                      Out of BC wins 1 game
                      #15 if afa wins aha
                      #15 if bu beats bc and afa wins 1 game
                      #14 if bc and afa lose 1st game
                      If they lose that 1st game BC has to lose to BU

1 win 1 loss
                      Out- if Wisconsin wins big ten
                      Out if Penn state bears Michigan and BC beats bu
                      Out if BC wins hockey east
                      Out if Quinnipac wins ECAC and BC beats BU
                      #15 all higher seeds win
                      #14 canisius wins aha all other higer seeds win
                      #13 Penn state loses to Michigan(canisius wins aha)
                      #14 if Minnesota bears Wisconsin and canisius wins aha

2 wins
                      Out if Quinnipac wins ECAC and BC wins HE
                      #9 all higher seeds win but BC beats bu
                      #10 all higher seeds win but BC beats BU and afa wins aha
                      #11 all higher seeds win
                      #12 higher seeds win afa wins aha
                      #11bc wins he
                      #12 Quinnipiac wins ecac and nd win he
                      #13 Cornell and win titles
                      #12 Cornell and canisius win titles

Win title
                      #9 all higher seeds win
                      #8 higher seeds win expect BU beats Nd in he title game
                      #10 Lowell BC or ND win HE title

In sure there are others but this is what I got

Comment

I can only speak for myself but I, as a Minnesota fan, have a very hard time bearing Wisconsin and their fans.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Well, I just can't get over all the hype in this thread.....

I for one am excited to watch some hockey on Thursday where I don't have a horse in the race, especially after the Wild probably lose again prior to the nightcap. Probably will not watch much of the early game because Gophers "bounceyball" will be playing their first round game at that time.

EDIT: Plus, I want to watch the Gophers' Friday evening opponent!
                          Last edited by gopher wes; 03-15-2017, 09:05 AM.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Well, I just can't get over all the hype in this thread.....

I for one am excited to watch some hockey on Thursday where I don't have a horse in the race, especially after the Wild probably lose again prior to the nightcap. Probably will not watch much of the early game because Gophers "bounceyball" will be playing their first round game at that time.

EDIT: Plus, I want to watch the Gophers' Friday evening opponent!
                            I'm excited for some Thursday hockey on BTN. Those are HUGE games for Ohio State and Penn State. The Big 10 owns that night in college hockey anyway.

I can only speak for myself but I, as a Minnesota fan, have a very hard time bearing Wisconsin and their fans.
                            I've heard some horror stories from some North Dakota fans who went to the Kohl center. Personally, I don't dislike any fan base other than some of the jerks in Colorado Springs for Colorado College. Now that their team sucks, they've chilled a lot though.
                            Last edited by Riz; 03-15-2017, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Michigan has won 4 of the last 5 including a sweep of PSU last week.....

Who knows. If anything this just depresses me since the talent is there as shown, the effort just lacked during the season apparently. They look like they have chemistry for the first time.

Will be sad that this is the final Michigan game at the Joe. I've been going there for games for decades. Michigan is more than likely the college team with the most wins there.

I'm concerned what the prices will be for the games at the new Pizzarena. At least this is the last neutral site Tournament, though.
                              ---
                              National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                              Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                              19 Conference Championships
                              10 Conference Tournament Championships
                              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X