PDA

View Full Version : ASN shutting down

Yuppie Scum
03-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Courtesy of @easternbias and Awful Announcing:

http://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/american-sports-network-reportedly-cease-operation-end-month.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hopefully this means no more 6:00 puck drops and better local production quality.

riverchief1
03-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Courtesy of @easternbias and Awful Announcing:

Hopefully this means no more 6:00 puck drops and better local production quality.

And no more 8:30 starts also along with for Hockey East, back to strictly NESN in-game and studio announcers. Those asn studio announcers were brutal.

joecct
03-10-2017, 01:47 PM
And less games for those outside the hockey regions to watch.

kdiff77
03-10-2017, 02:08 PM
About time.

northeastern
03-10-2017, 02:25 PM

I dont know how this can be good for our sport.

Capturing enough eyeballs... media today is a difficult business than ever to sustain financially. Tough.

Drew S.
03-10-2017, 02:43 PM
I dont know how this can be good for our sport.

Capturing enough eyeballs... media today is a difficult business than ever to sustain financially. Tough.

College hockey is a niche sport and the powers that be would do well to cater to the people who actually go to the games. With all the games broadcast online there isn't much need for national broadcasts anyway.

J.D.
03-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Said it on the BC thread but I am terrified to see what the Hockey East TV schedule looks like next year.

The Zlax45
03-10-2017, 04:10 PM
And no more 8:30 starts also along with for Hockey East, back to strictly NESN in-game and studio announcers. Those asn studio announcers were brutal.

Why would NESN want to pay for the production of the games next year?

chickod
03-10-2017, 04:11 PM
College hockey is a niche sport and the powers that be would do well to cater to the people who actually go to the games. With all the games broadcast online there isn't much need for national broadcasts anyway.

Agreed! We don't need that kind of "exposure." Morons in the studio who can barely talk and don't know anything about the teams they are "analyzing."

Split-N
03-10-2017, 04:32 PM

This! There actually are people who live outside of the traditional hockey areas who care about college hockey. Agree on the in- studio morons tho.

northeastern
03-10-2017, 04:48 PM
With all due respect.. in this (media) competitive landscape, i'll take a 'moron' to analyze my sport long as ot is reaching eyeballs.. than no broadcast.

This sport needs to cater the base no doubt.. but it needs to expand the base & reach a wider audience.. which ASN was trying.
A lousy ASN broadcast is better than no broadcast. Its all about production co$ts.

LTI Alum
03-10-2017, 05:13 PM
With all due respect.. in this (media) competitive landscape, i'll take a 'moron' to analyze my sport long as ot is reaching eyeballs.. than no broadcast.

This sport needs to cater the base no doubt.. but it needs to expand the base & reach a wider audience.. which ASN was trying.
A lousy ASN broadcast is better than no broadcast. Its all about production co$ts.

I agree. My problem is that neither ASN or NESN are available on Cablevision in Fairfield County ct. Last year ASN was. It sucks. I did watch lots of Fake Hockey East games on NBCSN and whatever might be thrown my way on the CBS sports network, or SNY. There are us fans that like D1 hockey and will watch if available regardless of the network. Hopefully next year Hockey East will get a deal with a network I can see.:confused:

Yuppie Scum
03-10-2017, 05:57 PM
I dunno if it's nesn, but maybe the local stations in NH, Maine, VT etc would get higher ratings from rebroadcasting HEA online streams than from a Big Bang repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KRBFLINT03
03-10-2017, 06:21 PM
I loved catching random out-of-region games Friday and Saturday nights...

John J. MacInnes
04-11-2017, 08:34 PM
So apparently the rumours might have been a little premature. Still hope for ASN?

http//www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/20170312/american-sports-network-may-remain-after-all

LTsatch
04-12-2017, 09:25 AM
FWIW this is from the ASN Wikipedia age. Quote. In March 2017, unconfirmed reports speculated that Sinclair was planning to shutter ASN and give its remaining sports rights to Campus Insiders. The Charleston Gazette-Mail, however, citing ASN employees, reported that the rumors of a complete shuttering were false, but that the division was planning to re-locate its headquarters, restructure its operations, and achieve "stronger, more diversified distribution". The original rumors were based upon reports of layoffs from ASN's current headquarters in West Palm Beach, connected to the