Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

Here it is folks. We are not surprised here in Marquette.

http://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mi...20170310h9hmpu

Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

So does this mean Michigan Tech will be looking for a new assistant coach shortly? Maybe Tech can feed coaches to all the teams in the UP? Walt's overall career numbers look acceptable (265-263-68 / 15 seasons), however if you focus on just his record since NMU came back to the WCHA I think that is where he fell short and the natives got restless.
    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      So does this mean Michigan Tech will be looking for a new assistant coach shortly? Maybe Tech can feed coaches to all the teams in the UP? Walt's overall career numbers look acceptable (265-263-68 / 15 seasons), however if you focus on just his record since NMU came back to the WCHA I think that is where he fell short and the natives got restless.
      Ryan J
      No. A minority of natives got restless in 2007. Walt was rewarded in 2010, after helming the team to their first NCAA visit in a decade, by more locals not showing up to more games. The icing was placed on this crappy metaphorical cake in 2015 when Walt was placed on administrative leave because the AD almost committed the same mistake that he did at UAF.

Shawhan already has a purple heart medal from his tour at NMU. Not sure he wants another.
      Last edited by aparch; 03-10-2017, 12:46 PM.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The question I have is, who is NMU going to get that's any better?
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          The question I have is, who is NMU going to get that's any better?
          Actually, that is a good question.

Comment

Lake Superior funding. Tech expectations. You've got good Freshmen & Sophomore classes so you probably get an uptick for a couple, but then again, when you're only back at 15-16 wins like you were the last few years, you'll be grumbling again. Can it get worse? Look at LSSU, Anchorage, Colorado College & Michigan State where the malcontents begged for a head on a platter. Good luck. You're more likely to stay with us in the race to make the playoffs than joining Tech, Bemidji & Mankato at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
              .......Can it get worse? Look at LSSU, Anchorage, Colorado College & Michigan State where the malcontents begged for a head on a platter. Good luck. You're more likely to stay with us in the race to make the playoffs than joining Tech, Bemidji & Mankato at the top.
              You can add Maine to that list. Maine fired their head coach 4 years ago and except for the first year they have had 20 or more losses in each of the last three years.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                Lake Superior funding. Tech expectations. You've got good Freshmen & Sophomore classes so you probably get an uptick for a couple, but then again, when you're only back at 15-16 wins like you were the last few years, you'll be grumbling again. Can it get worse? Look at LSSU, Anchorage, Colorado College & Michigan State where the malcontents begged for a head on a platter. Good luck. You're more likely to stay with us in the race to make the playoffs than joining Tech, Bemidji & Mankato at the top.
                Anchorage is starting to beg for another head on a platter.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Anchorage is starting to beg for another head on a platter.
                  I take it you ran a poll of all Seawolf fans.
                  Funny. Usually I see that sort of thing.
                  Guess I missed that one.

Comment

Is boot_walt_kyle still banned?

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                      I take it you ran a poll of all Seawolf fans.
                      Funny. Usually I see that sort of thing.
                      Guess I missed that one.
                      I have no dog (wolf?) in that fight. Just an observation, my friend.

Comment

I have no dog (wolf?) in that fight. Just an observation, my friend.
                        Just my opinion but I don't think the howl for Matt's pelt is very loud yet.
                        I've seen some of Suze's posts but not much else.
                        Speaking of Wolves I wonder if Shyiak will apply to replace Walt?

Comment

I would think this was expected based on the lack of success over the past several years.
                          We had the good fortune of staying at the same hotel as the Cats at the Soo a couple years ago for the Boo in the Soo and the Cats were awesome to our kids. I think NMU can get a good replacement and the energy with a bit younger coach and some excitement with recruits could get them moving in the right direction relatively quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                            Just my opinion but I don't think the howl for Matt's pelt is very loud yet.
                            I've seen some of Suze's posts but not much else.
                            Speaking of Wolves I wonder if Shyiak will apply to replace Walt?
                            Our old buddy Tavis MacMillan is back in the NCAA ranks (assistant at DU). He could be another one. Plus he knows Karr.

Then again, he probably makes more as an assistant at DU than he would as a head coach at NMU.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                              I would think this was expected based on the lack of success over the past several years.
                              We had the good fortune of staying at the same hotel as the Cats at the Soo a couple years ago for the Boo in the Soo and the Cats were awesome to our kids. I think NMU can get a good replacement and the energy with a bit younger coach and some excitement with recruits could get them moving in the right direction relatively quickly.
                              The second half of the season was far better a reflection of this year's team. The Cats lost D Zach Urban just before the season and D James Vermeullen for most of the year with an injury. They also lost Shine for the first 6 games and Sooth for the entire first half and Tolvanen slumped as well. But as the season moved on, the young D got experience, Tolvanen broke out of his slump and Shine and Sooth were united and clicked and Demico Hannoun joined the lineup. And players like Payne, Loggins, Diamantoni took big steps. The team is set up well for the next couple years, with or without a change. And the addition of Adam Rockwood will be big as well. Hopefully whomever the new coach is can retain the incoming recruiting class, because it looks strong as well.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                              X