PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2017 Off-Season: We March 4th into the Future

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Red Cloud
03-15-2017, 08:35 AM
Relevant ? Your an idiot. I'm an rpi fan and just want them to win again and get to lake placid.

*you're

*RPI

*Lake

*Placid

RedWrister
03-15-2017, 08:45 AM
I am not close enough to the program/institute to know the financials involved in the funding of the program. I'd like to think proper funding was/will be made available to whoever takes the job. Then again that opinion piece printed in the Troy Record seems to suggest otherwise.
I remember when SA was hired there was reporting that RPI would increase the hockey budget beyond what Fridge had. Recruiting did seem to pick up - perhaps due to SA's capabilities, perhaps due to increased funding, likely some combination. In my mind the mediocrity has been less about budgets or recruiting, and more about actual coaching: lineups, game plans, motivation... This is why I'd prefer a candidate with previous head coaching success. I realize such a candidate can be difficult to entice and I'm not informed enough to know who could be poached. I hope we pony up if someone is available.

Ralph Baer
03-15-2017, 08:59 AM
I remember when SA was hired there was reporting that RPI would increase the hockey budget beyond what Fridge had. Recruiting did seem to pick up - perhaps due to SA's capabilities, perhaps due to increased funding, likely some combination. In my mind the mediocrity has been less about budgets or recruiting, and more about actual coaching: lineups, game plans, motivation... This is why I'd prefer a candidate with previous head coaching success. I realize such a candidate can be difficult to entice and I'm not informed enough to know who could be poached. I hope we pony up if someone is available.

I recall that SA got RPI to make other types of scholarship money available to hockey players. In the past it had been felt that because there were athletic scholarships, other scholarship funds were not ever given to hockey players. An example is minority scholarships which previous were not awarded to hockey players.

giwan
03-15-2017, 09:28 AM

You need more than just a good HC, need the funding to back it, and that means more than HC salary or schollies which I would expect at a minimum are funded to the full extent allowed at RPI. You need the extra players that push the other players. Internal competition I'm sure most of you would agree is what pushes the players to get better.

Look at UNO, well known HC with previous success and what happened? Look at MTU (which plays in an old arena but kept immaculate and updated) which seems to be rising from the ashes, got a HC without any real HC experience but he would not come until they made the investment of proper funding. ND used to be a dumpster fire, (don't look behind the curtain) grabbed a proven winning HC and bumped up funding. Union, (GRRR salt in a wound) more needs to be said?

Jstas91
03-15-2017, 10:17 AM
Was told that the Ivies developed their own formula in recent years and agreed on admission standards for athletes, specifically to limit Cornell's advantage. Still strong academically though.

Categorically false. Harvard, Yale, Princeton cannot get kids in that Brown, Cornell, and Dartmouth can.

FlagDUDE08
03-15-2017, 10:39 AM

This is likely why names with success in the junior leagues have come up here, as that would be the obvious "step up" for a youth league head coach. Assistant coaches you might be able to judge bench experience if the head coach was suspended for a game, as what we really seem to be wanting is a good bench coach. An appropriate balance of all factors is the most desirable, as we shouldn't create an old comedy routine of over-compensating for a flaw.

AspyDad
03-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Candace: I had the pleasure of meeting Seth on several occasions when Rensselaer came to Denver; the first time was right after he had taken the reins there. I’m sad to see him go. RPI is a tough program because of the academics. Seth had seemed to be on the verge of really getting things together a couple of times, but it just didn’t happen. Regardless, I wish him well and hope to see him in the college ranks again soon.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2017/03/07/tmq-compelling-storylines-abound-as-season-goes-deeper-into-playoffs/#ixzz4bPKlf8pM

Academics is no doubt an issue. Looking at media guides from Ivies, they usually take history, etc.

AspyDad
03-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Looks like mr Barr is the hire, will he bring in new assistants.

I think Nolan stays, only a guess. If its Barr.

Ralph Baer
03-15-2017, 01:28 PM
It looks like there has been an important upgrade to the HFH. :D

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New standings board at the HFH lobby. Men and women. <a href="https://t.co/Ra53z2hLGP">pic.twitter.com/Ra53z2hLGP</a></p>&mdash; Houston Field House (@RPI_HFH) <a href="https://twitter.com/RPI_HFH/status/842058023224918016">March 15, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lugnut92
03-15-2017, 02:49 PM

Maybe they can finally replace the banners for the 12 ECAC schools that have been missing ever since the jumbotron upgrade too!

LTsatch
03-15-2017, 02:54 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New standings board at the HFH lobby. Men and women. <a href="https://t.co/Ra53z2hLGP">pic.twitter.com/Ra53z2hLGP</a></p>&mdash; Houston Field House (@RPI_HFH) <a href="https://twitter.com/RPI_HFH/status/842058023224918016">March 15, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
They could have just made it with standing spots 10-12 to save some money. ;)

AspyDad
03-15-2017, 04:06 PM
Maybe they can finally replace the banners for the 12 ECAC schools that have been missing ever since the jumbotron upgrade too! See Shirley listens.

FlagDUDE08
03-15-2017, 05:46 PM
I'm shocked they got 8 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-X6wftbSJc

turk181
03-15-2017, 06:33 PM
Riley Bourbonnais has signed with Wheeling. First game, tonight vs Elmira...... http://wheelingnailers.com/news/nailers-sign-riley-bourbonnais

turk181
03-15-2017, 07:24 PM
Riley Bourbonnais has signed with Wheeling. First game, tonight vs Elmira...... http://wheelingnailers.com/news/nailers-sign-riley-bourbonnaisHere's the Game Center if anyone wants to check. Kazzy in goal for Elmira..... http://www.echl.com/game-summary?game_id=14624

ibanezist00
03-15-2017, 10:24 PM
Well, after a season where I actually stopped attending home games because it was literally an embarrassment to watch good talent get wasted on the ice every night and watch the same unsuccessful hockey plays get executed over, and over, and over... and after changing my mind a few years ago on this head coach.. I'm back! Seth is gone! Without crawling through every post from the last year or so, did I miss anything?

Ralph Baer
03-16-2017, 03:39 AM
Today is 16 March 2017. There are 199 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.

FlagDUDE08
03-16-2017, 07:18 AM
Well, after a season where I actually stopped attending home games because it was literally an embarrassment to watch good talent get wasted on the ice every night and watch the same unsuccessful hockey plays get executed over, and over, and over... and after changing my mind a few years ago on this head coach.. I'm back! Seth is gone! Without crawling through every post from the last year or so, did I miss anything?

Welcome back! Glad to have you once again. :) Not too much was missed.

Red Cloud
03-16-2017, 07:35 AM
Without crawling through every post from the last year or so, did I miss anything?

Of course not. This board is just short of cancer.

Ralph Baer
03-16-2017, 07:46 AM
Welcome back! Glad to have you once again. :) Not too much was missed.

Certainly not a lot of wins.