• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

8 Lake Superior State at 1 Bemidji State
    7 Northern Michigan at 2 Michigan Tech
    6 Alaska at 3 MSU Mankato
    5 Ferris State at 4 Bowling Green

Pretty good lineup of series for the first round. NMU/MTU has the most intrigue of the others being a bitter rivalry. Not to mention the home and home series this past weekend as the visiting team won each night. I've got MTU winning in 3.

Bemidji and Lake Superior match up pretty well. LSSU has shown some bursts of offense this season, and I just saw them in Fairbanks a couple of weeks ago. But Bemidji just has too much depth and can score from any line. Bemidji sweeps in 2.

I obviously have the most invested in the MSU/Alaska series. Having 4 games against the Mavericks this season, the Nanooks know them well. But all 4 games happening before Thanksgiving have seen both teams evolve since. The Nanooks still lack a significant scoring threat. If they're going to have a chance, they're going to have to play defense first and hope to take advantage of their chances. When the game opens up, the Nanooks are far too familiar with what the Mavericks are capable of running up the scoreboard. But they're also familiar with what it takes to beat this team. This series goes to 3, my blue/gold bias puts my vote in the Nanooks favor. But pulling that hat off, it really can go either way.

For Ferris State at Bowking Green, this is going to go to whomever can find some consistency. Bowling Green has been up and down at home all year, and Ferris has been up and down in general. Both teams are pretty even, but I give Kapelmaster and the FSU defense slightly higher marks. And their veteran coach Bob Daniels gives Ferris State the edge in my book.

Think I'm off my rocker, right on, or somewhere in the middle? Let's hear you weigh in. I'm looking forward to a jaunt to Minnesota this weekend, thanks in part to a fellow USCHO member here for helping to make that happen. Best time of the year, though!
    Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Re: 2017 WCHA Playoff Thread - Home Ice Advantage

Psssst...NMU is going to Bemidji and LSSU is going to Tech.
    Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
      Psssst...NMU is going to Bemidji and LSSU is going to Tech.
      I try my best to not post before 6am akst time, due to errors and lack of sleep. When the gf is away my sleep schedule gets ****ed, this will be the second night in two weeks with nada. Two more to go yeah.

I can easily see all series going three games, but leaning towards Bemidji, Tech, Purple Cows, and Ferris.
      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Ferris at BGSU

The Bulldogs are a much different team on the road instead of at home. That dump off the high glass play doesn't work in a building with the short windows. FSU has only one win in their last 6 at BG, and I'm going to bank on Chris Nell having a big weekend. Falcons in 2

Alaska at Minn St

The Mavericks have 21 goals in 4 games against the Nanooks this season. I'm just not confident enough in UAF to be able to keep up with that scoring pace for a full series. One high scoring close game, one blowout seems the most likely. Mavericks in 2

LSSU at Michigan Tech

There were some bad feelings after last season's Winter Carnival series between Mel Pearson and Damon Whitten, so odds are this series will have an edge to it. The Lakers have no one on the roster who has played and won in Houghton, and they haven't beaten the Huskies anywhere in the last 9 meetings. Huskies in 2

NMU at Bemidji

This is the one series where the recent head-to-head history isn't necessarily the best indicator. Bemidji has posted a record of just 9-11-2 since their last meeting with Northern, while NMU is 8-4-2 in their last 14. I don't expect a lot of goals in this series, but NMU's newly found secondary scoring will be the difference. Wildcats in 3

Comment

For as wide open as the WCHA looks, I see a lot of chalk this weekend. It's always intriguing to think about a 8-1 upset, but for all the progress NMU has made the second half and the hot goaltending, it's not like BSU doesn't have really solid goaltending too, and I can't overlook the NMU/MSU series a couple weekends ago when NMU just got thumped. I think that series has more relevance than the series vs Tech. Northern's best shot is to temporarily leave the WCHA for the weekend, turning this series in to a non-conference series against Bemidji.

Comment

Considering Bemidji has only scored more than 4 goals in 3 games this season, I think the chances of them blowing out anyone are minimal. Northern doesn't match up well at all with Minnesota State, but there isn't any way the Beavers can play that game. BSU has one sweep in their last 11 weekends. That alone should make you think this series is going 3 games, and after seeing both of them in person in the second half I just think NMU has that little something extra they can pull out on Sunday.

Comment

Even removing my blue and gold glasses, I'm still intrigued with UAF/MSU. The Nanooks played two of their worst games of the season against MSU, and in each series bounced back with a win over the Mavericks (regulation W in Fairbanks, 3x3 overtime W in Mankato). Combined with the fact that we are getting some bend-but-don't-break goaltending since January and I won't be surprised to see this one go to three games.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

I heard the league gets most of the revenue from the playoff games. Is the league setting ticket prices as well? I see Tech has this weekend priced as:
                $18 Reserved seat, adult
                $10 Reserved seat, child
                $15 Standing room, adult
                $10 Standing room, child

What is everyone else seeing this weekend?
                Ryan
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Pretty crummy draw for the Beavers, now that the reward for winning the McNaughton is getting to play the hottest team in February. Tolvannen is good, but he's going to need help to out duel Bitzer and steal two games, help I don't think he's going to get.

Bemidji in 3

Definitely the least intriguing match up. Lake State has been unimpressive down the stretch while Tech has picked up. I'd be shocked if this goes to Sunday.

Tech in 2

This isn't a good match up on paper, but fortunately for Fairbanks, games aren't played on paper. Based on how the regular season series went, I think Fairbanks will sneak a win in, but that's all.

Mankato in 3

This should be the closest series. BG splits just about everyone, and Ferris is good enough to make BG pay for a sloppy or effortless play. In the end I think it will come down to goaltending- Nell is not the guy to pick against now.

BG in 3

Bonus predictions:

Round 2
                  Bemidji beats BG
                  Tech beats Mankato

Finals
                  Tech beats Bemidji
                  BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

While I'm not quite sure if LSSU can take the series from MTU, I think we will take at least one game.

Until the playoffs last year, we hadn't won against Mankato, but we stole a playoff game & went on to win a game against them at home this season.

We hadn't won in Big Rapids for quite a long time (I can't remember the exact year count), but won down there last year (let's not talk about this season's series down there).

So I'm hopeful to win a game this weekend, but I do think MTU will take it in 3.
                    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
                      8 Lake Superior State at 1 Bemidji State
                      7 Northern Michigan at 2 Michigan Tech
                      6 Alaska at 3 MSU Mankato
                      5 Ferris State at 4 Bowling Green

Think I'm off my rocker
                      Apparently I can't read standings properly while being tired and slightly inebriated. Maybe not off my rocker, but certainly sliding out of it...

Essentially that flub just flips the concern. NMU matches up better with Bemidji and have a better chance of coming out with a 3 game win than LSSU does. MTU I think takes it to Lake Superior and sweeps in two.

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      Alaska at Minn St

The Mavericks have 21 goals in 4 games against the Nanooks this season. I'm just not confident enough in UAF to be able to keep up with that scoring pace for a full series. One high scoring close game, one blowout seems the most likely. Mavericks in 2
                      Neither MSU or Alaska are the same teams that they were back in November. I thought UAF played MSU the weekend of Thanksgiving off of memory last night, but it was the weekend after. Regardless, that was still 14 weeks ago. The Nanooks have not allowed more than 4 goals in a game in 2017 and have looked far better than when they gave up the ghost to Notre Dame over New Years. A bit of a wake up call for them I think. Playing in Mankato favors them, but UAF has won there before. As I said if I weren't wearing Blue and Gold glasses, I'd probably take MSU. But either way I think this goes to 3 games.
                      Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

It would not surprise me at all to see one or two of the home seeds knocked off. I just hope it isn't the Beavers!
                        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

well here's a few other interesting points of view.
                          BGSU has been playing really well lately and I think they are the team to beat in the playoffs. I think they are FINALLY getting to where they were expected to be.Ferris has been a lot better lately also, but I think Bg can neutralize the one top line and I think that's the difference.

NMU, remember at the beginning of the year they got that split with Wisconsin, at that time I was thinking they would finish 4th. I think they will have to have great goaltending to move on though. The goalie is real good, but sometimes he's not, so Bemidji in three. But a really close series. If NMU wins the first game, look out.
                          Alaska. I have no idea what to think of them. I do think Mankato will take them for granted a bit, but not three in a row. Mankato in three.

Tech. Tech goaltending has not been that great the last 6 or 8 games. and even though they outplay pretty much everyone, they let in a lot of easy goals which demoralizes them and gives the other team life. The opposition goalie has stolen a game or two here and there because of this. Still LSSU has had it's issues. Tech in two.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            I heard the league gets most of the revenue from the playoff games. Is the league setting ticket prices as well? I see Tech has this weekend priced as:
                            $18 Reserved seat, adult
                            $10 Reserved seat, child
                            $15 Standing room, adult
                            $10 Standing room, child

What is everyone else seeing this weekend?
                            Ryan
                            In Bemidji:

All youth seats are $9
                            Adult tickets are $16 (end of arena), $20, $25, $30 or $35 (club level) if I am reading things correctly.
                            Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 03-01-2017, 10:47 AM.
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                              In Bemidji:

All youth seats are $9
                              Adult tickets are $15 (end of arena), $20, $25, $30 or $35 (club level) if I am reading things correctly.
                              BSU provided this release yesterday: http://www.bsubeavers.com/mhockey/ne...hern-michigan/ that includes the following:

"Tickets for the series are on sale now. Youth tickets are set at $9 with adult tickets beginning at $20. Taxes and fees are included in the ticket price."

Comment

Working...
                              X