PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

bucky15
07-06-2017, 02:26 PM
My men's team expectations must be lowering themselves in regards to goaltending. You certainly spell it all out. I wonder why they brought in Blomquist. Last year would have been a great opportunity to get his skates wet and see what he can do.

Blomquist was brought in to be a 3rd stringer. He works his tail off at practice and puts in a lot of additional time after practice with other players working on things. He is a great teammate and a player every team needs to be successful. Happy he is a Badger.

gwhinwi
07-06-2017, 02:47 PM
I always love hearing stories about guys like Blomquist. Those are the kinds of guys that help build terrific teams through the effort they put in, even though most don't know what their role is.

Timothy A
07-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Blomquist was brought in to be a 3rd stringer. He works his tail off at practice and puts in a lot of additional time after practice with other players working on things. He is a great teammate and a player every team needs to be successful. Happy he is a Badger.

That is fantastic. I recall he won some award during the team banquet.

Anyone else see the super-boring list of people who applied for the coaching position? Only other person I recognized was Alex Brooks. It was an incomplete list as apparently if you asked your name not be made public that you applied they withheld your name, which makes sense if you currently have a job and don't want your boss to know you were shopping around.

MadCityRich
07-06-2017, 04:47 PM
That is fantastic. I recall he won some award during the team banquet.

Anyone else see the super-boring list of people who applied for the coaching position? Only other person I recognized was Alex Brooks. It was an incomplete list as apparently if you asked your name not be made public that you applied they withheld your name, which makes sense if you currently have a job and don't want your boss to know you were shopping around.

Yes I saw Brooks, Jake Suter is Gary's son, and Corbin McGuire applied? Grad assistant???

markwojo
07-06-2017, 04:52 PM
My men's team expectations must be lowering themselves in regards to goaltending. You certainly spell it all out. I wonder why they brought in Blomquist. Last year would have been a great opportunity to get his skates wet and see what he can do.

Never forget....Goalie U.

IndianaBadger1995
07-06-2017, 05:15 PM
Yes I saw Brooks, Jake Suter is Gary's son, and Corbin McGuire applied? Grad assistant???

This is the one that caught my eye.

Timothy A
07-07-2017, 07:59 AM

Corbin......gotta love the go getter attitude the lad has.

Goalie U......I think the impact of losing Opilka sucked that life right out of me on the men's side. FYI he had some bad numbers last year @ Kitchener....3.58/.899 while having ok number the year before....2.70/.906. On the women's side UW will always be Goalie U. I'm hoping for a Badger/Badger Olympic matchup on the ladies' side.

Timothy A
07-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Steve Miller took Strobel's spot at OSU. I'd say that's a net gain by OSU. Awesome pick-up for Rohlik.

Great Day for Hockey
07-07-2017, 03:58 PM
Steve Miller took Strobel's spot at OSU. I'd say that's a net gain by OSU. Awesome pick-up for Rohlik.

Definitely interesting. I was kind of pulling for Miller to replace Donny. (At least based on the names that Todd Milewski gave in his article a couple weeks back.)
Wasn't sure if Miller wanted to go back to being an associate Head Coach again, or leave Colorado for that matter. I guess this hire by Rohlik answered those questions. Good hire by Rohlik.

SLUfan442
07-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Their save percentages don't convey how well they played later in the season nor the poor support they had. I agree Berry's top end is higher than Jurusik's, though I think Jurusik's improvement was greater over the year than Berry's. I don't think Hayton coming in for just this year will put them over the top. I think the upcoming year will be not much improvement over last due to the fact that last year was such an amazing improvement.

I've watched this kid for three years now, and in my opinion, this is the piece of the puzzle that could make the Badgers great again, not just making the national tournament, but going deep, deep into it.
First team all ECAC, 2nd team All American, SLU MVP, Ken Dryden Award winner last season and quite possibly the best goalie in college hockey. He doesn't look much in street clothes, but once he gets between the pipes, this kid's an absolute stud ! He's an incredible skater, lightening quick post to post and low down, mentally superior, ultra competitive, feisty as hell, hardly ever gives up a bad goal, and seems to play his best the bigger the stage. He will just flat out steal games for you that you have no business winning. He did this for SLU time and time again over his time there. I will have to disagree with the SLU fan that said he played behind a great defense. The SLU 'D' has been average at best, and darn right awful the rest of the time. A comedy of errors in their own zone results in numerous turnovers, breakaways and big chances in the slot. Hayton bails this group out constantly to the point I sometimes feel the defense plays too relaxed and careless cos they know he's there for them. If the D was so great they probably won't have given up 3297 shots since Hayton showed up.
Stats over time actually do speak volumes. In 104 appearances over the course of three years, Hayton has made more saves than any other goalie in college hockey at 3079. The amazing thing is he has a career .933 save percentage and a 2.08 GAA. These numbers become even more remarkable when you look at the quality of shots and opponents SLU has played. If he was a couple of inches taller, I have no doubt he'd already be playing in the NHL. Badger fans should be very excited about this acquisition, as Coach Granato has massively upgraded his team.

MadCityRich
07-13-2017, 10:43 AM
I was cruising the NHL Network and happened to come across this half way through the interview. I think he will make the roster.

https://www.nhl.com/video/nhl-tonight-luke-kunin/t-277350912/c-52417903

IndianaBadger1995
07-13-2017, 06:59 PM
I was cruising the NHL Network and happened to come across this half way through the interview. I think he will make the roster.

https://www.nhl.com/video/nhl-tonight-luke-kunin/t-277350912/c-52417903

I think he will play 9 games for Minnesota. Main competition is Eriksson Ek and I think JEE has the edge right now. I don't see Kunin playing on the 4th line. Current lineup:

Zucker-Koivu-Granlund
Nino-Staal-Coyle
Parise-JEE-Ennis
Foligno-4C-Stewart

Edit: I guess I didn't consider an Ennis injury. In that case he'd be very likely to be on the roster.

John J. MacInnes
07-13-2017, 08:51 PM
Any word yet on the puck drop time for the Hall of Fame game?

KaMiGo
07-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Any word yet on the puck drop time for the Hall of Fame game?

Most game times are not announced until the basketball and TV schedules are finalized. That shouldn't have an impact on a game in October since basketball doesn't start until November...but they usually do all of the finalized times in one announcement.

UWisco
07-14-2017, 05:32 PM
Former UW assistant Luke Strand was named head coach of Sioux City today.

KaMiGo
07-24-2017, 06:06 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The new scoreboard at the Kohl Center continues to take shape. UW officials liked the one at MSG, and you can see a little of that here. <a href="https://t.co/pBPkQ0ympo">pic.twitter.com/pBPkQ0ympo</a></p>&mdash; Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) <a href="https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/889537350300291072">July 24, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Best picture that I have seen so far of the new video board, and it looks AWESOME!!!

Shameless self-plug...I work for the company that makes the hoist that will move that beast up and down. Manufactured just down the road in beautiful Mazomanie, WI.

WiscTJK
07-25-2017, 08:44 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The new scoreboard at the Kohl Center continues to take shape. UW officials liked the one at MSG, and you can see a little of that here. <a href="https://t.co/pBPkQ0ympo">pic.twitter.com/pBPkQ0ympo</a></p>— Todd Milewski (@ToddMilewski) <a href="https://twitter.com/ToddMilewski/status/889537350300291072">July 24, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Best picture that I have seen so far of the new video board, and it looks AWESOME!!!

Shameless self-plug...I work for the company that makes the hoist that will move that beast up and down. Manufactured just down the road in beautiful Mazomanie, WI.

Is it bigger than the previous one? Looks more sleek and I imagine the picture will be much better.

KaMiGo
07-25-2017, 09:10 AM
Is it bigger than the previous one? Looks more sleek and I imagine the picture will be much better.

It is a slightly different approach. The old system had 4 defined "sides", each with a low-res panel on top for stats and a high-res panel on the bottom for video.

It looks like this is going with a ring around the top and a much larger panel on the bottom that. The bottom panel is also curved to provide better viewing angles.

I asked Todd if he had any compare/contrast numbers for the old system vs the new system. Screen sizes, resolutions, etc. He said that he had asked but had not yet received any answers. I'm sure that UWBadgers.com will put up some sort of article about it when it is all installed.

KaMiGo
07-25-2017, 09:17 AM
Speaking of new things coming to the Kohl Center...

Aspire Out, Gatorade In? (http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/badgers-sports-gatorade-pepsi-distributor-get-rights-to-negotiate-for/article_8b5fd180-9322-505f-9730-33e4977036e7.html)

It looks like Aspire has folded after only one year of their partnership with UW.

From reading the article, it looks like Gatorade will be coming in this year to replace Aspire and that when the Dr Pepper Snapple Group contract ends next summer that Pepsi will become the beverage family of choice.

I know that a lot of people were upset when Coca-Cola left and was replaced by the Dr Pepper Snapple Group offerings (RC Cola, 7-Up). I wonder if a return to a better brand will satisfy them or if those fans are truly "Give me Coke or give me death" kinds of people. Personally I am quite happen with the prospect of Pepsi products.

WiscTJK
07-25-2017, 01:00 PM
Speaking of new things coming to the Kohl Center...

Aspire Out, Gatorade In? (http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/badgers-sports-gatorade-pepsi-distributor-get-rights-to-negotiate-for/article_8b5fd180-9322-505f-9730-33e4977036e7.html)

It looks like Aspire has folded after only one year of their partnership with UW.

From reading the article, it looks like Gatorade will be coming in this year to replace Aspire and that when the Dr Pepper Snapple Group contract ends next summer that Pepsi will become the beverage family of choice.

I know that a lot of people were upset when Coca-Cola left and was replaced by the Dr Pepper Snapple Group offerings (RC Cola, 7-Up). I wonder if a return to a better brand will satisfy them or if those fans are truly "Give me Coke or give me death" kinds of people. Personally I am quite happen with the prospect of Pepsi products.

Pepsi is better than coke so I am fine with this and I adjusted to the RC terrible diet cola by getting diet dr pepper. Also My kids will love the choice of mountain dew.