Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Via the latest Milewski article, it looks like UW plays 1 and 1 with Merrimack and BC next year instead of 2 at merrimack. I'm assumig they came to a deal with those two school similar to the other deals they've done with the eastern teams.

"The Badgers also have contracts to play two games against Northern Michigan at the Resch Center in Ashwaubenon, two home games each against St. Lawrence and Mercyhurst and single games at Boston College and Merrimack in the 2017-18 season."

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
      Galchenyuk plays for Montreal, first of all. Second...the Milwaukee connection is pretty much limited to "he was born and (presumably) learned to walk there." He was born in Milwaukee, but moved to Europe when he was four, learned to play hockey in Russia, moved to Chicago at 15, and then was off to the OHL.
      Oops, I knew that. I was seeing red jerseys in my mind, I guess!
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
        Looking through some of the scheduling info for this year, it looks like we might have a 4-year rotation started with Merrimack.

They came to UW in 16-17. According to this article from Merrimack about the scheduling of the 16-17 dates, they are expecting UW to visit in 17-18 and 19-20. I can't imagine that the administration would have done a 1-for-2 with a mid-level Hockey east team. It would certainly have to be a 2-for-2.

I expect it will be
        home in 16-17, 18-19
        away in 17-18, 19-20

I have updated the Long-Term Schedule accordingly.

Although all of this may be thrown out with the revised needs of conference scheduling. I'll update the doc accordingly as I get any information.
        With Milewski's article stating that we were doing 1 game each at BC and Merrimack I got curious and sent out some questions.

I got confirmation from UW that this is another 2-team agreement with Merrimack and BC. I din't get all of the details, so here is what we know and what I am assuming:
        We know:
        We hosted Merrimack in 16-17
        We go to Merrimack/BC in 17-18
        I assume:
        We will host BC in 18-19
        We will go to BC/Merrimack in 19-20

I'm glad to see that the administration is being creative with these 4-year agreements. It keeps a lot of new faces coming through and keeps some of the upper tier teams coming to Madison fairly regularly.

I have updated the Long-Term Schedule accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
          Sucks. I love the UP and was looking forward to staying in Houghton/Hancock for a few days. Always a fun weekend there, but to Mass.? **** no.
          Kids goes to Tech, was hoping to stay with him and watch the games. Oh well. I'll have one at Tech and one at NMU next year. Guess I better get some more RED gear to wear.

Comment

• Here's a cool story about the three former Badgers playing for the Rangers and there time in Madison, including a MM sighting!

LINK

Comment

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
              Here's a cool story about the three former Badgers playing for the Rangers and there time in Madison, including a MM sighting!

LINK
              That is a great read. They got that critical game 5 win last night. Schultz and the other Smith have moved on, unfortunately Elliott had a rough last couple games for the Flames. Sharks are on the brink of elimination. Let's go Badgers!
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                I know you have a connection with the Kessels and I'm sure they are nice people, but Phil and Amanda go to you-know-where.
                You did OK with Badger Bob.
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Pierre gave some love to Trent Frederic, G20 and the Badgers during the Senators/Bruins game today. Pierre has grown on me; I really like him.

I was standing next to Tony G waiting to sit at the UW Band Concert last night. I thanked him for the season and we talked a little NHL for a few minutes. He was with family, so I didn't want to bug him. He was MORE than gracious to talk and kept on even after the family sat. What a great guy. I have NO idea how he held is own in the NHL because he is even smaller than I thought. But as wise people always say, "You cannot measure heart."

My friends, we are in a good place.
                  "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

don't know if you all saw this:

http://www.uscho.com/2017/04/21/tony...-at-wisconsin/
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                      That's standard practice for UW, it is actually a notable development if the contract isn't extended (drops the buyout after the next season) because that's clear evidence the coach is on the hot seat.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                        Pierre gave some love to Trent Frederic, G20 and the Badgers during the Senators/Bruins game today. Pierre has grown on me; I really like him.

I was standing next to Tony G waiting to sit at the UW Band Concert last night. I thanked him for the season and we talked a little NHL for a few minutes. He was with family, so I didn't want to bug him. He was MORE than gracious to talk and kept on even after the family sat. What a great guy. I have NO idea how he held is own in the NHL because he is even smaller than I thought. But as wise people always say, "You cannot measure heart."

My friends, we are in a good place.
                        At times I still cannot believe UW has the staff they do. It's like catching 3 55 inches muskies in consecutive casts.

Comment

In the way to early things that don't matter category, we have: College Hockey News Pre-Season Top 10.

Spoiler: Badgers are #7

Comment

Kalynuk was named team MVP, top D and top offensive D my the Thunder. Looks like a top D pair guy at this point. G2O did say he'd be on the PP. UW could really use a playmaking offensive D.

That poll had UW at 7.......a little high I'd say. They did rip UW's goaltending, but both guys played very well the second half of the season and there's no reason they won't continue to improve.

Comment

Attendance was up 18% when the team had low expectations (6086 to 7156). The upcoming year has some higher expectations and momentum off a surprisingly competitive year, I think UW could exceed the 2011/2012 attendance of 8256. I think everyone would be happy to get to and sustain 10000 min.

Interestingly, when looking at the B7 teams, the Friday to Saturday difference was about 3000. The Saturday B7 games all had over 10000 except MSU. N/C non-exhibition games averaged 5100 and B7 games averaged 8800. So how does UW increase N/C attendance and Friday night B7 attendance? My head always goes to ticket prices. I know if N/C or Friday prices were less, I could/would attend more.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Attendance was up 18% when the team had low expectations (6086 to 7156). The upcoming year has some higher expectations and momentum off a surprisingly competitive year, I think UW could exceed the 2011/2012 attendance of 8256. I think everyone would be happy to get to and sustain 10000 min.

Interestingly, when looking at the B7 teams, the Friday to Saturday difference was about 3000. The Saturday B7 games all had over 10000 except MSU. N/C non-exhibition games averaged 5100 and B7 games averaged 8800. So how does UW increase N/C attendance and Friday night B7 attendance? My head always goes to ticket prices. I know if N/C or Friday prices were less, I could/would attend more.
                                Ticket pricing is an issue not only Friday relative to Saturday, but row one to row 30 off the ice. A model where essentially all ticket prices are the same regardless of location (save required Badger Fund donation level which in hockey amounts to a few dollars per ticket on average) is flawed. I know they do some different promotions where you can get tickets discounted with some food/drinks thrown in, but having a 3rd level non first row or two seat for $15 face value up front might get more folks to pony up for season tickets as opposed to just grabbing a couple games on a package/incentive. The world has changed from the days in the coliseum where many games you were not going to be able to get a ticket and even into the early years into the Kohl where you were going to struggle to get a decent ticket (to me the last 2-3000 seats to sell in the Kohl are awful to watch a game from (upper ends)). Even with the program trending the right direction, we are a ways away from having to get season tickets to be able to see several games from decent seats and including a better opponent or two....plenty of good seats still available.

The nonconference will struggle by virtue of they are front loaded and the mindset is still football or even bounceyball at that point of the year. BC and UNO were intriguing to me as a hockey guy, but UNO is not exciting a casual fan and N Michigan, and Merrimack even less so. I know you have to schedule some wins and stat sheet stuffer games and can't play only the ilk of North Dakota, Denver, Duluth, BU, OOC, but one fewer of the Merrimack's for one of the marquee teams will help especially during the part of the year you play those OOC games.

Comment

Working...
                                X