PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey G2O - Making UW Hockey Great Again

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Wisko McBadgerton
03-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Official announcement from the Wild. (https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/wild-signs-kunin-32317/c-288006920)

Best of luck to Luke.

MadCityRich
03-23-2017, 01:33 PM
I don't think ANYBODY was expecting him to stay for another year. It was great t have him this year. Hell, I ate crow when I thought he was going to leave mid season 2015-2016. I wish him well on a vastly improved team.....another UW skater in the bigs.

The ATO can be used for 25 games, but no pay?

WiscTJK
03-23-2017, 01:47 PM
It's official: http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-luke-kunin-leaves-wisconsin-after-two/article_f215c036-95f0-5d98-8ac4-c2d5c7b800a4.html

Thanks to Luke for being a great Badger and good luck in the pros. It was great to have him around thru the transition to G2O.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-23-2017, 02:34 PM
Stick taps for the captain.

I worry that he's in a Kerdiles-esque situation, but even without the same high end skills, I don't think there's any question how well rounded his game is. He'll do well.

Great Day for Hockey
03-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Congrats and good luck to Luke. A great representative of the UW. Hopefully he is the only one this off season.

Great Day for Hockey
03-23-2017, 04:50 PM
http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-wisconsin-gets-back-to-respectability-in/article_7ba06098-ec23-528b-bc78-0c79d954b604.html

The last three paragraphs are certainly interesting. Let the speculation begin.

KaMiGo
03-23-2017, 05:10 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/BadgerMHockey">@BadgerMHockey</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/mnwild">@mnwild</a> <a href="https://t.co/9COLPynxOZ">pic.twitter.com/9COLPynxOZ</a></p>&mdash; Luke Kunin (@lukekunin9) <a href="https://twitter.com/lukekunin9/status/845013347384938496">March 23, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Timothy A
03-24-2017, 07:29 AM
It always bums me out when these kids throw away a semester of schoolwork to jump to the minors. Is a couple months in the minors going to really make that big of the difference in the speed of his overall development? He was all academic B6, so it isn't like he was barely passing his courses. Best wishes to Luke, though I wish another team owned his rights.

WiscDC
03-24-2017, 10:21 AM
It always bums me out when these kids throw away a semester of schoolwork to jump to the minors. Is a couple months in the minors going to really make that big of the difference in the speed of his overall development? He was all academic B6, so it isn't like he was barely passing his courses. Best wishes to Luke, though I wish another team owned his rights.

They have ways to finish the semester away from campus, which is the norm. John Hayden is finishing his Yale degree while with the Blackhawks after signing this spring, for example.

Timothy A
03-24-2017, 11:45 AM
They have ways to finish the semester away from campus, which is the norm. John Hayden is finishing his Yale degree while with the Blackhawks after signing this spring, for example.

Awesome, hopefully Master Luke can do the same.

Gurtholfin
03-24-2017, 01:14 PM
Feel bad for Luke that he will spend the first part of his career finishing second, but was nice having him and wish him the best of luck with his second NHL team.

As always, rooting against Minny, BC and Mich.

BC and Mich didn't make it? STILL rooting against them. :D

After that don't really care although I typically root for the underdog in individual games and the teams that have never won it.

Wisko McBadgerton
03-24-2017, 03:30 PM
I typically root for the underdog in individual games and the teams that have never won it.

Sounds good. Here are your teams:

1st Round Winners

Tech
PSU

Air Force
Providence

Notre Dame
Cornell

OSU
NoDak

Frozen Four

Tech
Air Force*

Notre Dame
OSU

Final (Pick one. OSU is the lower seed)

OSU
Air Force

*Air Force advances over lower seeds Providence and Tech by virtue of never having won a NC.

Gurtholfin
03-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Air Force

Without hesitation.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-24-2017, 11:09 PM
Of remaining teams: Air Force, Tech, Cornell, Union.

solovsfett
03-25-2017, 01:16 AM
****... what a tough way to lose for 🏀 tonight🙁

Timothy A
03-25-2017, 07:53 AM

I concur. The lads played well, fought back from a late game deficit to force OT then a great shot beats them. It's an amazing age to be a Badger fan. Hopefully women's BB can get to the point of contending in the B10, that's the last black hole of UW sports.

For men's hockey, I'm wondering what the expectation should/will be for next year wins wise. 20 was a shocker this year and losing Kunin so far puts a dent in the returning scoring and the PP, I'm not sure I'd be unhappy with 20 wins next year. It's going to take another 3 years for the roster to turn over to all G2O players, at which point I think single digit losses should be the norm.

Gurtholfin
03-25-2017, 09:40 AM

Just enough brain fart plays and missed free throws to blow what should have been a sure win.

Happ better be shooting about 500 throws a day this offseason. Inexcusable to be that bad.

Not that he is the only one, but Nigel is gone now.

IndianaBadger1995
03-25-2017, 10:55 AM
I concur. The lads played well, fought back from a late game deficit to force OT then a great shot beats them. It's an amazing age to be a Badger fan. Hopefully women's BB can get to the point of contending in the B10, that's the last black hole of UW sports.

For men's hockey, I'm wondering what the expectation should/will be for next year wins wise. 20 was a shocker this year and losing Kunin so far puts a dent in the returning scoring and the PP, I'm not sure I'd be unhappy with 20 wins next year. It's going to take another 3 years for the roster to turn over to all G2O players, at which point I think single digit losses should be the norm.

Andy Johnson had a tweet predicting the lineup for next year as:
Weissbach-Frederic-S Dhooghe
Wagner-Hughes-Zimmer
Ustaski/Freytag-Malone-Johnson
J Dhooghe-Baker-Ford
Labosky Zirbel

Inamoto-Linhart
Tischke-Kalynuk
Greenway-Davison
Sexton Bunz

I'd say Jack Berry has the advantage over Matty J for starting goaltender.

MadCityRich
03-25-2017, 11:33 AM
****... what a tough way to lose for �� tonight��

...and hockey last weekend and NoDak. I think I'm bad luck.

BTW, I'm honking for Air Force as well. I can see them in the championship game with a B-1B fly-over!

DPlaya
03-25-2017, 12:02 PM
Andy Johnson had a tweet predicting the lineup for next year as:
Weissbach-Frederic-S Dhooghe
Wagner-Hughes-Zimmer
Ustaski/Freytag-Malone-Johnson
J Dhooghe-Baker-Ford
Labosky Zirbel

Inamoto-Linhart
Tischke-Kalynuk
Greenway-Davison
Sexton Bunz

I'd say Jack Berry has the advantage over Matty J for starting goaltender.

Was pondering this recently for forwards....

Ustaski-Frederic-S. Dhooghe
Weissbach-Hughes-Zimmer
Wagner-Malone-Johnson
J. Dhooghe-Baker-Ford

My guess is they want to keep Frederic, Hughes and Malone as centers, but Malone would be really good on the first line right wing if exchanged for S. Dhooghe, and Dhooghe can center the third line. I'd like to see Hughes' playmaking with Weissbach's ability to finish.