Best coaches to play for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best coaches to play for

Can anyone provide opinions on coaches, specifically which ones are recognized as "players coaches." Which are the ones players like playing for the most? Are there any to avoid (aka Torterella types)?

Re: Best coaches to play for

Interesting question. As a Norwich fan...of course I think Mike McShare is the best coach...and he has 716 wins and is ranked #7th among all coaches to back it up. Is he a "players coach?" I have no idea...because even with Mikes record I am not sure what being "a players coach" really means?

Is a player's coach someone everyone loves playing for...or is it someone who by hook or crook guides a winning team while at the same time recognizing and then drawing on the best from each player's own specific reservoir of talent? And sometimes that includes doses of --"tough love." Ask a former Marine who he hated most in the Corp...then ask him who in the Corp taught him the most and instilled in him...a life long pride in having been a Marine. In most instances the answer is the same: His Drill Instructor.
    Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
    Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

alot of coaches are different, I'm sure everyone will say their teams coach is the best. The most well respected coaches are those from the perennial power houses.

Coach Ed Gosek - Oswego
      Coach Bob Emery -Plattsburgh
      Coach Mike McShane - Norwich
      Tim Coghlin - St. Norbert

All four are constantly in the playoffs vying for a national championship. I can really only speak for Oswego, I used to have roomates that played for Oswego and I know they loved playing for Gosek. I've heard Emery from Plattsburgh can be hard on his players "tough love" if you will, but he gets results. I hear Heenan from Utica is kind of a dick to play for, but take it with a grain of salt, I've never met the guy.
      http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Gary Heenan
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
          alot of coaches are different, I'm sure everyone will say their teams coach is the best. The most well respected coaches are those from the perennial power houses.

Coach Mike McShane - Norwich
          Absolutely! He will even teach you how to pull your goalie down 4 goals with under a minute left in the game to break up a shut out! (tic still one of the best around)

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
          I've heard Emery from Plattsburgh can be hard on his players "tough love" if you will, but he gets results.
          It's a dying style. Even with my 8U team, we don't go Emery on them, but we're not the "good game Bobby, you're a superstar", on the bench either. We've played nearly 50 games this season with our 8U team, and that's one of the main things I see with "coaching". Too much "superstar" praise, and not enough coaching. Coaches are afraid today (IMO) to tell a kid (no matter what age) they did something wrong. After years and years of doing this, they get to an old school coach like Bob and clash. You don't have to bury kids into the ground and you don't need to keep their heads so high in the sky they can't see the ground. The best coach (IMO) are the ones that keep them walking right on the ground. Stable foundation. Again, it's something some kids just can't handle in today's world. Then again I also have a team who enjoys doing suicides and crab walks across the ice.

I will say this tho, having watched Bob from Day 1 at Plattsburgh to now, the whole "tough guy" coach has really really mellowed. Especially since his kids.
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
            I will say this tho, having watched Bob from Day 1 at Plattsburgh to now, the whole "tough guy" coach has really really mellowed. Especially since his kids.
            That is so true!
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I know a lot of the Norwich kids would run through a wall for Mike. He's tough but fair. He also really makes them academically accountable - get in trouble in class, and he will come down on anybody on the roster. By reputation, I think that Emery has some of the same qualities, and I think that Bill Beaney used to have the same reputation until things seemed to go south at Middlebury - I don't know if it starting to lose or what. This also suggests that players will put up with a certain amount of tough love if it gets them lots of Ws, but maybe if they start losing, the bloom fades.

I know the math teacher I hated most in my undergraduate experience also was the one who taught me more than I realized by the time I got to grad school. It was like because of that guy I had a leg up in my first year grad statistics course.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by MELIN27 View Post
                Are there any to avoid (aka Torterella types)?
                What is this garbage? Avoid? Yeah I guess being on a winning team isn't fun, and best to not play for a coach because feelings may get hurt...

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Should probably clarify: by "players coach" I mean one that players will go through the wall for. One that has the respect of all his players. This means being fair, upfront and honest. Not by any means soft. I've experienced coaches who get in players faces, drop F bombs on them etc. but there are coaches that can do that for the right reasons and players know it. It's not personal, it's not meant to break the player down, it builds them up. It's an intangible in coaching and any player looking at schools should consider the coach's style as much as the academics and win-loss record. If you're going to be at a school for four years you better make sure the most important hockey relationship you have (with your coach) is a good one.

Comment

Jack Arena and staff

Comment

If you're on a D-III board, it's obvious that making the NHL and even the AHL is a long shot, at best.

Pick the school where you'll get the best education that will prepare you to enter your chosen field. Hockey should not be the primary reason you attend a particular school.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        If you're on a D-III board, it's obvious that making the NHL and even the AHL is a long shot, at best.

Pick the school where you'll get the best education that will prepare you to enter your chosen field. Hockey should not be the primary reason you attend a particular school.
                        Agreed. Academics first, but if hockey is going to be a big part of the college experience, "do your homework" applies to the hockey portion too. Try for a best fit all around.

Comment

Working...
                        X