• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Tuesday is the secret ranking.

It will be a 12 team tournament with
    7 AQs in Pool A
    1 Pool B (WIAC & ECAC-W)
    4 Pool C (anyone else previously not selected)

The AQs will take care of themselves. The fun is figuring out the remainder of the field.

How will the rest of the field will be selected can be found here:

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...l_20161129.pdf
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Tuesday is the secret ranking.

It will be a 12 team tournament with
    7 AQs in Pool A
    1 Pool B (WIAC & ECAC-W)
    4 Pool C (anyone else previously not selected)

The AQs will take care of themselves. The fun is figuring out the remainder of the field.

How will the rest of the field will be selected can be found here:

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...l_20161129.pdf
    Joe...you are the pro at this...how about doing the same thing on the women's side...many posters over there do not understand the process at all.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
      Joe...you are the pro at this...how about doing the same thing on the women's side...many posters over there do not understand the process at all.
      Webb is the pro. I am a tyro.

That said, take a look at the bracket in Appendix A. Is that THE bracket layout, or just a sample??

The footnote says the arrangements are subject to change at the discretion of the committee. Personally, I like it, but the West gets the shaft in tbat arrangement (pending assignment of Adrian)
      Last edited by joecct; 02-05-2017, 12:37 PM.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Webb is the pro. I am a tyro.

That said, take a look at the bracket in Appendix A. Is that THE bracket layout, or just a sample??

The footnote says the arrangements are subject to change at the discretion of the committee. Personally, I like it, but the West gets the shaft in tbat arrangement (pending assignment of Adrian)
        It looks like that is the bracket....fairness depends on how it is seeded....auto-bids will also mess it up if there are multiple upsets in the conference championships !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
          It looks like that is the bracket....fairness depends on how it is seeded....auto-bids will also mess it up if there are multiple upsets in the conference championships !
          The bracket is exactly what should be followed. 4 byes to the QFs, with each QF consisting of a team with a bye against a team without a bye. The interesting question would be how this will get handled in the case of 4 West teams qualifying and 8 East teams qualifying. That is a scenario which would be interesting because of the 500 mile rule.

The committee will pair the teams regionally, based on geographic location of all participants and nal seeding. Teams located more than 500 miles from one another will only be paired if it is not possible to pair them with opponents located within 500 miles. Please refer to Appendix A on page 19 for the Division III men’s ice hockey bracket.
          Seems to me it would be very tempting for the committee to do one of the following if there were 4 West teams and 8 east teams

1. Change the bracket so that 4 west teams go directly to the quarter finals. (Two QF games in which both teams had byes - not what the bracket show). All 4 first round games are played in the East to populate the other two quarter final games. This is the "East gets shafted" approach. The FF will have two east teams and two west teams, but to get to the FF, an east team has to play 2 games, and a the west teams will have played one game

2. Have two first round games in the West that feed to a quarter final game between two western teams. Give the east two first round games feeding two quarter final games against two bye teams and have the third quarter final game be between two bye teams. This is the "West gets really shafted" approach. In this scenario, there will be 1 West team and 3 East teams in the FF

If Adrian were one of the 4, the situation becomes a little more clear. Two of the non-Adrian teams play a first round game and the other one gets a bye and plays the winner. Adrian gets into a 3 team pod with teams from Western NY - either with a bye waiting for the winner between Buff State and Oswego (for example), or playing a first round game against one of those with the winner to travel for the QF game.

I haven't thought about the 500 mile rule implications for the case in which there are 5 W teams in the field. With 6, it's a slam dunk to fit the bracket as shown.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

If you wonder what Nullification is, the bylaws say
            31.02.4 Nullification. Nullification is a penalty imposed on an institution by the Championships Committee
            for permitting an ineligible student-athlete to participate in intercollegiate competition. (Adopted: 1/17/15
            effective 8/1/15)
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Which Pool A eligible team is a stone cold lock right now?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Probably just Norwich at this point.
                http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                  Probably just Norwich at this point.
                  SoS may be a boat anchor. It's 27th on the KRACH
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm not sure there are any. If Norwich gets to the NEHC finals, they probably will be a lock. The problem is that losses hurt them more than other teams because of the 4 games that don't count against the D2 teams that will leave the NEHC at the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      I'm not sure there are any. If Norwich gets to the NEHC finals, they probably will be a lock. The problem is that losses hurt them more than other teams because of the 4 games that don't count against the D2 teams that will leave the NEHC at the end of the season.

I for one will not miss not playing St A's or St M's for that very reason
                      Steve Day(NU71)
                      Go Cadets

Comment

This weekend helped a bit. Plus, Plattsburgh catching fire is certainly helping as well.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

The KRACH SOS metric does not line up well with the NCAA SOS metric always.
                          I did notice that they finally fixed the SOS metric to rely on cumulative W-L records and not on averaging the winning percentages. That is a major improvement.

Comment

If you wonder what Nullification is, the bylaws say

I'm not sure what that has to do with selection criteria. I know if a team has been penalized they may be ineligible, but it seems odd to list that among the primary criteria

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                              I'm not sure what that has to do with selection criteria. I know if a team has been penalized they may be ineligible, but it seems odd to list that among the primary criteria
                              My best guess was that Nullification can now be treated as a punishment that basically says "if you're being compared with a school that hasn't received this punishment, and other criteria are close, you lose."

But that's just a wild guess
                              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Working...
                              X