Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 NCAA tournament selection thread

Originally posted by GBhockeygal View Post
    always interesting when D3 hockey always states if you follow the process................apparently not this time.
    Which process wasn't followed? Nowhere does it state that the number one overall team gets a bye. It is not part of the process. As for having to potentially play Oswego, yeah that can suck, but it is entirely that Trinity moved ahead of Oswego in the recent rankings after the weekend. If that is the case, the bracket makes sense.
    I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

• Originally posted by GBhockeygal View Post
      always interesting when D3 hockey always states if you follow the process................apparently not this time.
      The process was absolutely followed.
      I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
        Which process wasn't followed? Nowhere does it state that the number one overall team gets a bye. It is not part of the process. As for having to potentially play Oswego, yeah that can suck, but it is entirely that Trinity moved ahead of Oswego in the recent rankings after the weekend. If that is the case, the bracket makes sense.
        how does it make sense to have other teams have an easier road to the playoffs over the #1 team? Riddle me that

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
          The process was absolutely followed.
          I don't know enough to understand how the process ended up with this bracket - can you please explain? Thank you.
          LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

A little further down the bracket, did Endicott actually fall all the way to a 7th seed? Trinity rose to #3 seed? Or were things really muddied by avoiding inter-conference match ups in the first round? It really seems like Webb's bracketology was a simpler, easier, fairer bracket than this one.
            Steve
            Penn State Class of '95
            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
              I don't know enough to understand how the process ended up with this bracket - can you please explain? Thank you.
              There is a pretty good write up on the process at http://www.d3hockey.com/bracketology...ection-process. Byes are not guaranteed to any seed as part of it.
              I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

The number 1 seed not getting a bye does suck for them but when the D3 basketball championship had bye's, up until this year, the top overall seed didn't always get it. The situation is not unique to hockey. You just have to play the had you are dealt and if you are the best team then you will win it all.

Comment

While I think Norwich got hosed, I will say that the one thing this bracket allows for is the top 4 teams all making it to the Semi-Finals. Assuming Norwich, St. Norbert, Wisconsin-Stevens Point, and Hobart are the top 4 seeds, they could all earn the trip to Utica. A Point/Norbert/Augsburg pod would have prevented both Norbert and Point from making it to Utica.
                  Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                  2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

geography should not determine a bracket. i see it clearly on their page but it is flawed and doesn't give credit where it is due.

Comment

it depends what the final rankings were, I'm guessing

1. Norwich
                      2. Hobart
                      3 Trinity
                      4. Oswego
                      5. Endicott
                      6 Hamilton
                      7. Plattsburgh
                      8. Salem State

so it's 1 vs 8, followed by winner of 4/6. 2 vs 5, playing the winner of 3/7.

so for bracket integrity the Best Norwich has to play is 8 followed by 4, where Hobart having the #2 rank has to play 5 followed 3. Bracketing the top 4 east teams that way
                      http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

• Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                        it depends what the final rankings were, I'm guessing

1. Norwich
                        2. Hobart
                        3 Trinity
                        4. Oswego
                        5. Endicott
                        6 Hamilton
                        7. Plattsburgh
                        8. Salem State

so it's 1 vs 8, followed by winner of 4/6. 2 vs 5, playing the winner of 3/7.

so for bracket integrity the Best Norwich has to play is 8 followed by 4, where Hobart having the #2 rank has to play 5 followed 3. Bracketing the top 4 east teams that way
                        OK, but does this mean 4 teams in the west ranked ahead of all 8 teams in the east? #NoByesEast
                        LakerEagleLover

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz View Post
                          While I think Norwich got hosed, I will say that the one thing this bracket allows for is the top 4 teams all making it to the Semi-Finals. Assuming Norwich, St. Norbert, Wisconsin-Stevens Point, and Hobart are the top 4 seeds, they could all earn the trip to Utica. A Point/Norbert/Augsburg pod would have prevented both Norbert and Point from making it to Utica.
                          The "possible" Point vs Norwich and SNC vs Hobart semi final games could be instant classics...
                          SNC Men:
                          Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                          NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                          SNC Women:
                          O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

• Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
                            There is a pretty good write up on the process at http://www.d3hockey.com/bracketology...ection-process. Byes are not guaranteed to any seed as part of it.
                            Does this mean all four western teams were ranked ahead of Norwich?
                            LakerEagleLover

Comment

For me, as a Norwich fan, there's a matter of principle and a matter of practicality.

In principle, I think it's BS that the #1 team doesn't get a bye and that instead all the West teams do just by virtue of geography.

But, practically speaking, I don't think it's the worst thing in the world for the team to play a first round home game against an opponent they should crush. Yes, the prospect of having to play Oswego or Hamilton in the second round isn't inviting. But, when you're talking about the final 8 teams in the country, anyone you play is going to be really good. Looking at the other side of the bracket compared to Norwich's side, the difference between Trinity and Hamilton is negligible. Plattsburgh is the hottest team in the country and beat Oswego twice. Hobart has been a Top 10 team all season. And Endicott is a very talented team that was 2 seconds away from beating us in the season opener.

No road is going to be easy, and Norwich's is what it is. All season we've been questioning whether this team is really as good as their record indicates. Now is their chance to prove it.
                              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Does this mean all four western teams were ranked ahead of Norwich?
                                No they were preserving the bracket for the top UWSP is ranked W2, SNC is W1, Norwich will have to play W2 in the FF while SNC will have to play E2, if they made Adrian go East they'd have to have W1 Vs W2 before the FF, they didn't want that.
                                http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Working...
                                X