Ohio State vs Wisconsin - Hockey in the Big Apple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs Wisconsin - Hockey in the Big Apple

Well we host Wisconsin Thursday, then a travel day and Saturday we play them again in Madison Square Garden.
    Wisconsin is a team on the improvement but one would expect that with the coaching change taking effect.
    Any thoughts or predictions?

Re: Ohio State vs Wisconsin - Hockey in the Big Apple

Great chance for the Buckeyes to put themselves in position to win the title but the same can be said for Wisconsin. Doesnt look like Schilkey or Tanner will be back this weekend either. Saw Wisconsin on TV last weekend and the PP is pretty good but overall they are a much better team than we have seen the last 2 years. I expect a good series and hope the Buckeyes can get at least 4 points.

Comment

We need to be alive the entire game and quit letting other teams beat us to the puck. I get so tired of us blindly clearing to the neutral zone right to the opponent's stick and they come charging right back into our zone with it.
      So same old, same old that we always go on about.
      I would really like for some of the Wisconsin fans to chime in and give us their perspective on how the Badgers have been doing and what they feel their chances are.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        We need to be alive the entire game and quit letting other teams beat us to the puck. I get so tired of us blindly clearing to the neutral zone right to the opponent's stick and they come charging right back into our zone with it.
        So same old, same old that we always go on about.
        I would really like for some of the Wisconsin fans to chime in and give us their perspective on how the Badgers have been doing and what they feel their chances are.
        As a Badger fan, I would say that you'll be surprised if you're expecting the same style of play the Badgers have used the last many years under Eaves. We actually play offense now. This team likes to score goals. The Badgers are a team that if they gets one, they usually gets two. If they get three they frequently get five. Once our offense gets humming it becomes really hard to stop. The downside is the defense is still a little iffy and we're young so we a lot of times have bad first periods (no 1-0, 2-1 games for us!).

As to what I think our chances are: The Badgers are very capable of skating with the best teams in the country. They beat BC earlier this year. Should have beaten Denver in a game I think they'd like to have back. Last weekend we split with Minnesota, but I really think we should have swept them. We outplayed the Gophers pretty badly for 4 of the 6 periods but got undone by a bad first period on Friday night. One thing I will say is that the coaching staff has been real good about making adjustments night to night. We haven't lost two games in a row yet this year, so even if we get beat on Thursday, I'd bet on us coming out flying on Saturday.

I think a split is a realistic expectation for the Badgers this weekend. I'd be disappointed if they got swept.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrestrikealpha View Post
          As a Badger fan, I would say that you'll be surprised if you're expecting the same style of play the Badgers have used the last many years under Eaves. We actually play offense now. This team likes to score goals. The Badgers are a team that if they gets one, they usually gets two. If they get three they frequently get five. Once our offense gets humming it becomes really hard to stop. The downside is the defense is still a little iffy and we're young so we a lot of times have bad first periods (no 1-0, 2-1 games for us!).

As to what I think our chances are: The Badgers are very capable of skating with the best teams in the country. They beat BC earlier this year. Should have beaten Denver in a game I think they'd like to have back. Last weekend we split with Minnesota, but I really think we should have swept them. We outplayed the Gophers pretty badly for 4 of the 6 periods but got undone by a bad first period on Friday night. One thing I will say is that the coaching staff has been real good about making adjustments night to night. We haven't lost two games in a row yet this year, so even if we get beat on Thursday, I'd bet on us coming out flying on Saturday.

I think a split is a realistic expectation for the Badgers this weekend. I'd be disappointed if they got swept.
          I feel the same I expect a split anything else is a bonus for either team. From what I saw on tv last weekend the badgers get the puck up the ice a lot faster than we have seen the Last couple years.

Comment

I expected nothing less from the Badgers than improvement with the upgrade in coaching. It should be an interesting series, especially if our captain and top scorer is still out.

Comment

sabrestrikealpha has it mostly correct. Badgers are 6th nationally in goals per game, 49th in goals against. Special teams both PP and PK are ranked 8th nationally. Defense has been an adventure to say the least, but the offense is really, really good. Saturday night the last 20 minutes the Badgers skated around the Gophers (who looked gassed). It is constant attacking type of offense and the passing is so much better this year. If they could tighten up the defense and come out of the gates better, I think they could string 5 or 6 wins together and challenge for the Big Ten. But still a very young team so I would guess on a split.
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I just hope we get a decent officiating crew. Some of the ones we get are the worst.
                I think I speak for all hockey fans home and visitors, that we want to see the guys be allowed to play but certainly call the blatant stuff and call it equally for both teams. Is that asking too much?

Comment

Working...
                X