Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Star College Cup - 1/27 & 1/28 - Bemijid St vs St Cloud St & UMD vs Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: North Star College Cup - 1/27 & 1/28 - Bemijid St vs St Cloud St & UMD vs Minneso

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Is there something unique about hockey that makes geography the problem? Seems like Big Ten basketball and football do fine.
    Yeah, unlike with those other sports, we've experienced rivalries with our neighbors in hockey, games that have been hotly contested between two highly ranked opponents. That's never been an option with those other sports.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Re: North Star College Cup - 1/27 & 1/28 - Bemijid St vs St Cloud St & UMD vs Minneso

Is there something unique about hockey that makes geography the problem? Seems like Big Ten basketball and football do fine.
      I don't feel like I need to explain this, but hockey is a regionally insular sport. Hence why only six of fourteen Big 10 schools field a varsity hockey team. It's also the only sport in Minnesota that has five DI teams, with the second closest being every other sport at one. So hockey to football and basketball is a real poor comparison.

Comment

Hockey is also monstrously expensive growing up. Football, soccer, basketball. You need a ball. Hockey? You need an asston of money.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Yeah, unlike with those other sports, we've experienced rivalries with our neighbors in hockey, games that have been hotly contested between two highly ranked opponents. That's never been an option with those other sports.
          This suggests that B1G hockey will eventually thrive - similar to football and basketball - as the older, disgruntled fans pass on and are replaced by younger fans who've never experienced the disappointment. Even though I probably won't be around to see it, I sure hope someday that's the case. Right now I guess I'm part of a shrinking minority of fans who don't find it necessary to hate the other team in order to enjoy the game.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Husky beat writer says neither game not involving the gophers will be on...so this has become Mariucci Classic part 2 in terms of TV coverage.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

This suggests that B1G hockey will eventually thrive - similar to football and basketball - as the older, disgruntled fans pass on and are replaced by younger fans who've never experienced the disappointment. Even though I probably won't be around to see it, I sure hope someday that's the case. Right now I guess I'm part of a shrinking minority of fans who don't find it necessary to hate the other team in order to enjoy the game.
              Since when did hate ever come into it? I always looked forward to rivalry games because I have friends who are fans of most of those other teams - nobody knows anyone who's a fan of Mankato State. The back and forth we'd all have was all in good fun.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Since when did hate ever come into it? I always looked forward to rivalry games because I have friends who are fans of most of those other teams - nobody knows anyone who's a fan of Mankato State. The back and forth we'd all have was all in good fun.
                As it should be, and I can't argue that the "back and forth" doesn't make it more fun...which makes it a little surprising that this tournament hasn't drawn better.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  OK...so imagine you have a finite set of games per year. Now you commit a not insignificant number of them to one opponent with no history, no affiliation, etc. What happens to the rest of your schedule? Its smaller...fewer games to play other teams. If you want to add North Dakota...you need to drop some games against SCSU. If you want games against BSU every once in a while...you can't play UMD. What about Denver? Forget it. You may be adding Notre Dame or Western MI or Bowling Green...there's really not much difference...for 10% of our schedule. I'm losing games with our ex WCHA rivals. Goodbye NSCC.
                  A very good point that there are a finite number of games and credit to the UofM for hosting the NSCC and trying to kerp the in-state rivalries "alive".
                  With a finite number of games available, what would you Gopher fans think of dropping the Mariucci Classic in favor of keeping the NSCC or using the Minnesota teams in the Mariucci Classic? How well attended is the Mariucci Classic now?

Comment

Originally posted by oldchfan View Post
                    A very good point that there are a finite number of games and credit to the UofM for hosting the NSCC and trying to kerp the in-state rivalries "alive".
                    With a finite number of games available, what would you Gopher fans think of dropping the Mariucci Classic in favor of keeping the NSCC or using the Minnesota teams in the Mariucci Classic? How well attended is the Mariucci Classic now?
                    Doubt the other MN schools would go for the Classic...not unless arrangements were made to guarantee the Gophers came to their building.
                    It's the main reason the other schools agreed to a rotation for the NSCC that didn't just automatically rotate out the 4th place team.
                    Yes MN schools want to play the Gophers...But they also want to play them at home.
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by oldchfan View Post
                      The Classic has been pretty empty the last couple of years. There are many reasons for this, but primarily it's timing; competition and apathy. In the early stages of the classic, there were 3 really good teams and a cupcake. The last few years it's been 3 or 4 really mediocre (that's being generous) teams. Timing has been tough especially when scheduling the games on NYE. Also, they no longer make the Classic part of the student ticket packs. Fundamentally I understand since most students are not on campus, but it takes a bunch of people out of the crowd.

Not sure what the fix is, and as others have said, not really sure the Minnesota teams would be all that willing to go to the Mooch every year for a game. However, I would love to see tDon bring in Denver, UND, BC, BU, SCSU, etc. on a rotation for the Classic. It would really make it a premier event that would eliminate the timing factor and potentially the apathy as well.

Comment

I really think the B1G was bankrolled by backers in Mass to take down Minnesota and Michigan hockey. So much money going into sports out there in general, and didn't some BC alum donate 5 million earmarked for when York retires ensuring they hire the best coach money can buy?

I'm loving the NCHC, I get to see the 'dogs come to Colorado 2-7 times per year :-D
                        I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                          I really think the B1G was bankrolled by backers in Mass to take down Minnesota and Michigan hockey.
                          That's crazy, you can't be serious!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            The NCHC was a panic move by some schools because of a feared recruiting advantage of the B1G. The CCHA(+UAH) and the WCHA would have been fine and the buildings (and coffers) would be fuller.
                            It's funny that you are acting like the NCHC should really have regrets about how things are going for them.
                            Originally posted by SJHovey
                            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                            Originally posted by Brenthoven
                            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                              It's funny that you are acting like the NCHC should really have regrets about how things are going for them.
                              Going well for them, but schools like BSU are missing the big draw teams that filled the Sanford Center and pumped $$ into the athletic program and community.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Going well for them, but schools like BSU are missing the big draw teams that filled the Sanford Center and pumped $$ into the athletic program and community.
                                Do you think SCSU and UMD fans would attended games at BSU in large numbers prior to the split? Honestly, Bemidji just wasn't much of a draw for the average fan - both in quality of the team and the city itself only offers so much. UND fans will travel anywhere, so there's that. The Gophers are irrelevant on this point, for obvious reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X