PDA

View Full Version : 2017 NCAA Women's Frozen Four

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Nowheresville
03-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Those final 4 towels were a joke. Whose gonna wave generic team towels at a game? Should have had separate ones for each team, that would have been cool.

Actually, they also give out similar towels for the Mens Frozen Four, but I've never seen them actually call for people to wave them before the game.

I forgot to mention the joke that was the PA announcers during the game. It was strange for the goalie not to be called first during lineups, but not nearly as strange as when they started by calling out a Clarkson players name when announcing the Gophers lineup on Friday. They never announced when the Power Plays were over. I also think they forgot to say ARD's name when handing out the individual trophies post game on Sunday (I don't remember hearing it, and I saw she skated over and just grabbed one while they were listing the coaches/staff.)

Timothy A
03-21-2017, 02:46 PM
Actually, they also give out similar towels for the Mens Frozen Four, but I've never seen them actually call for people to wave them before the game.

I forgot to mention the joke that was the PA announcers during the game. It was strange for the goalie not to be called first during lineups, but not nearly as strange as when they started by calling out a Clarkson players name when announcing the Gophers lineup on Friday. They never announced when the Power Plays were over. I also think they forgot to say ARD's name when handing out the individual trophies post game on Sunday (I don't remember hearing it, and I saw she skated over and just grabbed one while they were listing the coaches/staff.)

PA announcing was a MESS! Couldn't hear clearly at all, and not announcing the end of penalties? Come on. Interestingly at the Robert Morris/UW game, they also announced the goalies last, maybe an NCAA thing? Did I miss any line-up or roster sheets that were available or were there none?

joecct
03-21-2017, 03:55 PM
I asked the same question yesterday because I thought the same thing but didn't get a response so I guess no one knows the answer. Seemed to me to be wider than an NHL but not as wide as an Olympic sheet.

The kickplates looked funny. Either they went down in the corners or the ice surface went up.

ne7minder
03-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Thank you for the feedback, I hope you enjoyed your weekend.

2 things:
If you could ask the folks there for the ice dimensions it would ease a lot of brain strain.
You might also let them know that ice hockey requires an ice surface.

bluffrinkrat
03-21-2017, 04:11 PM
PA announcing was a MESS! Couldn't hear clearly at all, and not announcing the end of penalties? Come on. Interestingly at the Robert Morris/UW game, they also announced the goalies last, maybe an NCAA thing? Did I miss any line-up or roster sheets that were available or were there none?

We noticed that the Gopher goalie Peters was announced last in Duluth, too.

robertearle
03-21-2017, 04:20 PM
2 things:
If you could ask the folks there for the ice dimensions it would ease a lot of brain strain.

Before I resorted to the rule book, I googled plenty, trying to find the answer, and I couldn't find it. The Family Arena people don't seem to want it known. Another reason I suspect it may be short of 85 feet, even if they come back and say it is.

ne7minder
03-21-2017, 04:21 PM
We noticed that the Gopher goalie Peters was announced last in Duluth, too.

they did it by sweater number, lowest to highest

ne7minder
03-21-2017, 04:22 PM
Before I resorted to the rule book, I googled plenty, trying to find the answer, and I couldn't find it. The Family Arena people don't seem to want it known. Another reason I suspect it may be short of 85 feet, even if they come back and say it is.

Well then we duplicated efforts. I hunted all over, even found out they have a facebook page. I wonder if it was a bit short & that made it look off?

Timothy A
03-21-2017, 05:33 PM

All I can say is that rink have better been regulation size. It's bad enough they didn't play on ice.

ARM
03-21-2017, 06:18 PM
All I can say is that rink have better been regulation size. It's bad enough they didn't play on ice.There is some wiggle room in what "regulation" is. The old DECC in Duluth sure wasn't what the regulations stated.

mnwis
03-21-2017, 06:19 PM
All I can say is that rink have better been regulation size. It's bad enough they didn't play on ice.

Get over it....they played on the sheet together, high corners and all....the NCAA will not return to that rink

as for the corner radius, yes 28' radius is usually typical in a "regulation" sized rink, however there are "regulation" sized rinks with different corner radius, plus there are rinks with different dimensions than a "typical" regulation or olympic rink...

some shools chose to have the 28' radius in their rink, this gives the rink a definite OVAL shape in a regulation size venue, others have corners with a smaller radius...
the smaller radius gives the rink a "rounded" corner rectangle look..many Olympic sheets have this design. ex. Univ of Vermont(90x200) is not an Olympic rink nor is it a true regulation rink..It has small radius corners and the area behind the goallines looks as big as a football field, though it's dimensions are closer to a reg rink than an Olympic rink

Timothy A
03-21-2017, 08:12 PM
There is some wiggle room in what "regulation" is. The old DECC in Duluth sure wasn't what the regulations stated.

Yes, but that was a classic old rink, this one is relatively new. Newer rinks should conform to minimum standards.

vicb
03-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Curious, how did you determine this? My geometry, if I ever knew this much, is failing me.

I Googled "Ice Hockey Rink Dimensions" and got the following link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_rink :)

ne7minder
03-21-2017, 08:59 PM
There is some wiggle room in what "regulation" is. The old DECC in Duluth sure wasn't what the regulations stated.

Wasn't the old barn rink longer than 200' or was that just a rumor to confuse opposing teams?

pgb-ohio
03-21-2017, 10:35 PM
My understanding is that the hockey side of Williams Arena featured a rink that was 210 feet long.

Once saw a Gopher score an empty-net goal from the very corner of that ice sheet. I'm fond of telling people that I was an eyewitness to the longest empty-net goal in college hockey history.:)

brokentwig
03-22-2017, 09:38 AM
My understanding is that the hockey side of Williams Arena featured a rink that was 210 feet long.

Once saw a Gopher score an empty-net goal from the very corner of that ice sheet. I'm fond of telling people that I was an eyewitness to the longest empty-net goal in college hockey history.:)

March 19, 2017 5:11pm CDT
Frozen Four All-Tournament Team

Forwards: Annie Pankowski, Wisconsin; Genevieve Bannon, Clarkson; Cayley Mercer, Clarkson. Defense: Mellissa Channell, Wisconsin; Savannah Harmon, Clarkson. Goalie: Ann-Renee Desbiens, Wisconsin. Most Outstanding Player: Cayley Mercer, Clarkson.

I am not sure how a goalie can make 41 saves and shut out the #1 team in the country in the National Championship game and still not make the All-tourney team. Was the Selection made by the Wi press?

KTDC
03-22-2017, 09:46 AM
March 19, 2017 5:11pm CDT
Frozen Four All-Tournament Team

Forwards: Annie Pankowski, Wisconsin; Genevieve Bannon, Clarkson; Cayley Mercer, Clarkson. Defense: Mellissa Channell, Wisconsin; Savannah Harmon, Clarkson. Goalie: Ann-Renee Desbiens, Wisconsin. Most Outstanding Player: Cayley Mercer, Clarkson.

I am not sure how a goalie can make 41 saves and shut out the #1 team in the country in the National Championship game and still not make the All-tourney team. Was the Selection made by the Wi press?

I think the selection was made by the posters here at this forum who thought Tiley was not tested by difficult shots despite the shutout, due to some combination of great play by the Clarkson skaters and ineffectiveness of the Wisco offense :D

or was it the same voters as the Patty Kaz voters and they were just trying to cover their b**ts :rolleyes:

Timothy A
03-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Tiley vs ARD for all tourney...both had shut outs, both allowed 3 goals. Was ARD's shutout more valuable because that game was 0-0 until 16 seconds left? Was Tiley's more valuable because it was in the title game and it was 0-0, 1-0 and 2-0 during the critical parts of the game? I was surprised ARD got it. Obviously to me it is not clear cut, and I would have had no problem with Tiley getting it, but I understand ARD getting it.

joecct
03-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Tiley vs ARD for all tourney...both had shut outs, both allowed 3 goals. Was ARD's shutout more valuable because that game was 0-0 until 16 seconds left? Was Tiley's more valuable because it was in the title game and it was 0-0, 1-0 and 2-0 during the critical parts of the game? I was surprised ARD got it. Obviously to me it is not clear cut, and I would have had no problem with Tiley getting it, but I understand ARD getting it.

I'm checking with Steve Harvey and Price Waterhouse Coopers.

IIRC, at the 2014 championship they made an oops announcing the all tournament team.

robertearle
03-22-2017, 10:25 AM

ARD only gave up two goals.