Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017 NCAA Women's Frozen Four

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    Not even close to a Canadian national team. Only 16 players from Canada, barely enough for 3 lines and 3 sets of defensemen. Oh and a goalie. They also have 3 players from Minnesota though, so they have some key help there.
    But looking at the roster and stats, there's only two non-Canadians who played a significant role this season:

> Savannah Harmon, a captain and junior D from Downer's Grove, IL - 9 goals and 33 points in 39 games (impressive for a D!)
    > Michaela Pejzlova, a freshman forward from the Czech Republic - 11 goals and 31 total points in 34 games (impressive for a freshman!)

The only other non-Canadian who played in more than five games is Taylor Turnquist, a freshman D from Minnesota who chipped in a goal and six assists.

So, even though Clarkson "only" has 16 Canadians, those 16 did have more than 80% of the team's total points. And Canadian goalie Shea Tiley was in net nearly 90% of the time.

Absolutely nothing wrong with any of this, but the stats show that this is still a team that relies very heavily on players from north of the border.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      So, even though Clarkson "only" has 16 Canadians, those 16 did have more than 80% of the team's total points. And Canadian goalie Shea Tiley was in net nearly 90% of the time.
      Interesting. I was being facetious with the only 16 Canadians comment. They do have enough to play only Canadians. Forgot the emoticon on my prior post.

I do think that the player someone mentioned that was from Little Canada may have inadvertently confused the Clarkson recruiter.
      Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-14-2017, 09:31 AM. Reason: Humor?
      "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Any good restaurants in Ferguson?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          But looking at the roster and stats, there's only two non-Canadians who played a significant role this season:

> Savannah Harmon, a captain and junior D from Downer's Grove, IL - 9 goals and 33 points in 39 games (impressive for a D!)
          > Michaela Pejzlova, a freshman forward from the Czech Republic - 11 goals and 31 total points in 34 games (impressive for a freshman!)

The only other non-Canadian who played in more than five games is Taylor Turnquist, a freshman D from Minnesota who chipped in a goal and six assists.

Absolutely nothing wrong with any of this, but the stats show that this is still a team that relies very heavily on players from north of the border.
          Harmon was the ECAC Defenseman of the Year
          Pejzlova was on the ECAC All Rookie Team
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Interesting. I was being facetious with the only 16 Canadians comment. They do have enough to play only Canadians. Forgot the emoticon on my prior post.

I do think that the player someone mentioned that was from Little Canada may have inadvertently confused the Clarkson recruiter.

I thought I detected a bit of sarcasm.

If Clarkson skates one non Canadian in this Frozen Four it will be one more than last time. It must be legal. I just find that interesting from an American school. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
              I thought I detected a bit of sarcasm.

If Clarkson skates one non Canadian in this Frozen Four it will be one more than last time. It must be legal. I just find that interesting from an American school. That's all.
              "Maroosh" tried to get the NCAA to change its rules. He didn't like it that his kids just out of high school had to play 20 year old freshman from Canada that hadn't been offered pro contracts after juniors. I don't think there are any 20 year old freshman in women's college hockey though, so not an issue.

See Herb Brooks: The Inside Story of a Hockey Mastermind by John Gilbert.

Comment

An American school that probably has a lot more Canadian players living near it than American ones. I would have some small sympathy because I would guess CU is tight on the purse strings so they don't make a lot of recruiting trips West. But then I see kids from BC and Blaine MN.

UM has struggled at times by maintaining a Minnesotans-first policy but the results are the best breeding grounds for hockey players in the US. Wisconsin, Michigan, Massachusetts and a couple other states could have made the same commitment and produced the same results but they wouldn't pay the price. Imagine if those states with larger populations than MN produced just as many elite players, let alone proportional to their population.

Comment

So for anyone making the trip to St. Charles, there are a few official team gatherings.

Minnesota is having a pre-game gathering at BWW in St. Charles at 1:30 on Friday.
                  There is also a team arrival event at the arena at 6pm, and reentry will be allowed for people watching the first game.
                  Back in the Twin Cities, The Gophers are also having a send off at Ridder Wednesday afternoon and a watch party at Sensers in Roseville on Friday.

Wisconsin is having an open practice at Family Arena at 11:15 on Thursday.
                  There will be a Bouncy Ball watch party at Syberg's Dorsett Thursday Night.
                  The Badgers team arrival event is Friday at 3pm, and the elusive UW Band is scheduled to take part.
                  If the Hockey team wins (but apparently, even if the BB team loses) there will be another BB watch party on Saturday at Hotshots Sports Bar. (There was no mention of any B1G Hockey watching for Wisconsin on Saturday, so they must not have much confidence that the Badgers Men will be playing....)

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
                    So for anyone making the trip to St. Charles, there are a few official team gatherings.

Minnesota is having a pre-game gathering at BWW in St. Charles at 1:30 on Friday.
                    There is also a team arrival event at the arena at 6pm, and reentry will be allowed for people watching the first game.
                    Back in the Twin Cities, The Gophers are also having a send off at Ridder Wednesday afternoon and a watch party at Sensers in Roseville on Friday.

Wisconsin is having an open practice at Family Arena at 11:15 on Thursday.
                    There will be a Bouncy Ball watch party at Syberg's Dorsett Thursday Night.
                    The Badgers team arrival event is Friday at 3pm, and the elusive UW Band is scheduled to take part.
                    If the Hockey team wins (but apparently, even if the BB team loses) there will be another BB watch party on Saturday at Hotshots Sports Bar. (There was no mention of any B1G Hockey watching for Wisconsin on Saturday, so they must not have much confidence that the Badgers Men will be playing....)
                    All Clarkson fans are invited to enjoy a pregame party from 6 - 7:30 PM

Hendricks BBQ
                    1200 S. Main Street
                    St. Charles, MO 63301

Walk-ins welcome!

$15 per person

Dinner includes: pulled pork, turkey, potato salad, mac & cheese, salad and corn bread

Questions? Contact Teresa Planty at tplanty@clarkson.edu or call 315.268.3852.
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Of all the issues with the NCAA, schools recruiting kids who happen to have born elsewhere and giving them an education is probably not high on the list.
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                        Of all the issues with the NCAA, schools recruiting kids who happen to have born elsewhere and giving them an education is probably not high on the list.
                        I have it slotted at #314, right behind, "Skate sharpeners are underpaid."

Comment

"Maroosh" tried to get the NCAA to change its rules. He didn't like it that his kids just out of high school had to play 20 year old freshman from Canada that hadn't been offered pro contracts after juniors. I don't think there are any 20 year old freshman in women's college hockey though, so not an issue.
                          next year Clarkson will have one
                          UMD has a player who was a 21 year old freshman

hockey, especially women's, is one opportunity for a small school to make a name for themselves

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                            next year Clarkson will have one
                            UMD has a player who was a 21 year old freshman

hockey, especially women's, is one opportunity for a small school to make a name for themselves
                            Well then there is only one solution to this outrageous situation. The Gophers should immediately announce as did our Godfather of Minnesota Hockey with Denver in the 1960's that the Gophers will no longer play UMD in WCHA league play. If we have to play them in the NCAA tournament so be it but not in the WCHA!

The above was entirely faux outrage. I'm all for women of any age getting a college education in the US, even Canadians. Besides, Bobbi Ross is our all-time favorite Gopher.
                            Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 03-15-2017, 07:32 AM. Reason: emoticon added

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                              UM has struggled at times by maintaining a Minnesotans-first policy but the results are the best breeding grounds for hockey players in the US. Wisconsin, Michigan, Massachusetts and a couple other states could have made the same commitment and produced the same results but they wouldn't pay the price. Imagine if those states with larger populations than MN produced just as many elite players, let alone proportional to their population.
                              Not sure when "Wisconsin" (the state/UW?) made the decision to not make high school hockey popular compared to basketball and football. Don't think that's how it works/worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                                Not sure when "Wisconsin" (the state/UW?) made the decision to not make high school hockey popular compared to basketball and football. Don't think that's how it works/worked.
                                They needed a coach like Mariucci who made college hockey a reality for MN high school boys. Back in the 50s that made a huge impact on the numbers of kids playing. Its not that hard to understand. More schools and more kids play basketball and football in MN and still Minny kids staff college hockey teams by a long way@
                                Last edited by ne7minder; 03-15-2017, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X