X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2017 and Beyond

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Obviously the Sharks see something in him
    Like the Maple Leafs saw something in John Doherty?

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    when was the last time a UNH goalie has been drafted??
    Brian Foster
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
      The SB Nation College Hockey article that described Robinson as "not overly athletic, quick or agile" was also written two years ago. To some extent, athleticism is in the eye of the beholder. Fans who attend games over the next few seasons will get to see for themselves.
      Probably not this coming season. Since its the last season for both Thelma and Louise I'm pretty sure they are going to drive that car right off the cliff.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
        Probably not this coming season. Since its the last season for both Thelma and Louise I'm pretty sure they are going to drive that car right off the cliff.
        With the NRN on the line? I don't think so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          With the NRN on the line? I don't think so.
          The NRN is why we won't see Robinson... Can't trust those freshman players.
          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
            Well hopefully the UNH brain trust will see the success that freshman goalies had this season in Hockey East and give Robinson a fair shot.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
              I think that those days are over; if Dick had not played his freshmen as much as he did this past season, the NRN would be beyond reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                I think that those days are over; if Dick had not played his freshmen as much as he did this past season, the NRN would be beyond reach.
                The two senior forwards combined to appear in 77 of 80 possible games played, with the only absences being Hill missing the first three games of the season due to an apparent injury. The three junior forwards saw action in 104 of 120 potential games played. McNicholas missed three games and Eiserman missed 13 - again, all due to injury. Essentially, all of the upperclassmen played every night. Kelleher, Salvaggio and McNicholas played on the top line and top PP. Eiserman played on line 2a or 2b - however you want to break it down - and Hill got out of the cheap seats on a regular basis. Its very likely the FR forwards saw so much ice time, because they simply HAD too and whatever 'opportunity' they earned they earned over the Sophs...

Wyse was the only FR defenseman and while he played 37 of 40 nights, his doing so didn't impact the PT of any of the upperclass D. Who's only absences were once again a result of injury or illness...

I don't think you can say those days are over based on this season's usage. IF those days are over, its because Souza is actually in charge, differs from Umile's example and is correctly focused on building for the future.

A SR Tirone will CLEARLY have a huge edge over a FR Robinson (even if undeserved). Especially, a FR who got traded out of the USHL. I'm not sure Robinson is going to be any kind of answer - though he can't be worse than the alternative. If we have to be mediocre at best in goal - I'd rather be BIG and mediocre. I'd rather team's had to make plays to beat UNH than UNH beating itself with soft goals against...

We'll see if those days are over based on how many FR defenseman are in the line-up on Day 1 and moving forward...
                Last edited by Dan; 04-21-2017, 04:22 PM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                  Like the Maple Leafs saw something in John Doherty?

Brian Foster
                  Interesting that you mentioned Foster. He was definitely not athletic, but he was big and, with the equipment, he filled up the net. If Robinson is the second coming of Brian Foster, I'd be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    The two senior forwards combined to appear in 77 of 80 possible games played, with the only absences being Hill missing the first three games of the season due to an apparent injury. The three junior forwards saw action in 104 of 120 potential games played. McNicholas missed three games and Eiserman missed 13 - again, all due to injury. Essentially, all of the upperclassmen played every night. Kelleher, Salvaggio and McNicholas played on the top line and top PP. Eiserman played on line 2a or 2b - however you want to break it down - and Hill got out of the cheap seats on a regular basis. Its very likely the FR forwards saw so much ice time, because they simply HAD too and whatever 'opportunity' they earned they earned over the Sophs...

Wyse was the only FR defenseman and while he played 37 of 40 nights, his doing so didn't impact the PT of any of the upperclass D. Who's only absences were once again a result of injury or illness...

I don't think you can say those days are over based on this season's usage. IF those days are over, its because Souza is actually in charge, differs from Umile's example and is correctly focused on building for the future.

A SR Tirone will CLEARLY have a huge edge over a FR Robinson (even if undeserved). Especially, a FR who got traded out of the USHL. I'm not sure Robinson is going to be any kind of answer - though he can't be worse than the alternative. If we have to be mediocre at best in goal - I'd rather be BIG and mediocre. I'd rather team's had to make plays to beat UNH than UNH beating itself with soft goals against...

We'll see if those days are over based on how many FR defenseman are in the line-up on Day 1 and moving forward...
                    Dan, I appreciate your thoughts and perspective and want to comment on Eiserman. He has played 35, 33 and 27 games. He is too often relegated to a 3rd and sometimes 4th line assignment. A friend and I often comment on his seeming under utilization or perceived punishment. Yes he can take an unnecessary penalty, but he will also stand up for other players. He would appear to find himself in the dog house after some games and return to a role that i don't feel he deserves. He will never be a big goal scorer but he is a very strong set up guy and would greatly complement the correct match up. He is also very strong on his skates and is good in the corners.

I still have high hopes for Vela, but his second season was not what was expected. He should be an Eiserman clone with a bit more of an upside on goal scoring. He has not proven to play up to his size and perceived potential, but we have 2 years left.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Injuries or not to the upperclassmen, with the exception of Hill and Miller, the freshman line remained intact from the first game, and usually skated as the second line in the latter part of the season (only one game missed by Blackburn), and played more minutes than all but the first line, I think. Wyse only missed three games at D, which is fortunate, given the injuries on the blue line. Maybe Fregona deserved more ice time.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Injuries or not to the upperclassmen, with the exception of Hill and Miller, the freshman line remained intact from the first game, and usually skated as the second line in the latter part of the season (only one game missed by Blackburn), and played more minutes than all but the first line, I think. Wyse only missed three games at D, which is fortunate, given the injuries on the blue line. Maybe Fregona deserved more ice time.
                        I'm with you on the Fregona call. His skill set is great, size may be his only down side. The freshman line did impress and was particularly strong in the first half. HE schedule and perhaps game film negated their "surprise presence" some after the holiday break. DU also broke them up the last 10-12 games, starting with the games in VT as i recall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          The point is, you cant use last season as an argument for Umile changing his philosophy when not one JR or SR missed a single game (outside of injury) or was bumped out of their role by a FR. The reality is that there were just fewer upperclassmen and position battles last season (especially at the forward position).

You mentioned Fregona in your post - I'd argue his usage indicates more of the same from Umile. Despite his requiring the largest adjustment among FR, he was immediately far more talented (and simply a better player) than at least Miller, Cefalu or Hill. Yet he found himself often in the stands in deference to the older options...

This season, we will be able to determine I Umile is going to capitalize on his last chance to change his stripes (assuming he's making the decisions).

There is a FR goalie with - at least - tremendous potential to challenge a pair of completely underwhelming fourth-year players. Robinson should at least get a chance to win the job. A REAL CHANCE.

There are 3-4 capable defenseman with high ceilings incoming, but 5-6 returning letter winners, including Wyse and 3 upperclass regulars. How many FR will play? On talent alone I think it should be at least three. I doubt that's the case...

Up front they bring in at least two forwards who should skate consistently. Kelleher, while not his brother, is likely to immediately be far more skilled than many of the top offensive options returning. It wouldn't surprise me if he is consistently playing on a lower line in lieu of lesser players. Even his brother had to toil...

MacAdams should immediately skate ahead of most of the role players returning. Will he? Perhaps Umile sits Cefalu more often, but I doubt he even considers touching Miller's ice time despite the fact that MacAdams is simply much better at playing the role Miller is asked to fill. His easiest path to playing time is probably Unile sitting down an underclass skill guy for 'defensive' purposes. Tough break Fregona, you're the better player here too...

I'll be surprised if Miller, Chanter, Dawson, Boyd (?), Tirone and even Cefalu (among others) aren't playing regularly next year - ahead of better, younger players - because under Umile that has always been the case. Why would he change in his final season?
                          Last edited by Dan; 04-21-2017, 07:20 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            The point is, you cant use last season as an argument for Umile changing his philosophy when not one JR or SR missed a single game (outside of injury) or was bumped out of their role by a FR. The reality is that there were just fewer upperclassmen and position battles last season (especially at the forward position).

You mentioned Fregona in your post - I'd argue his usage indicates more of the same from Umile. Despite his requiring the largest adjustment among FR, he was immediately far more talented (and simply a better player) than at least Miller, Cefalu or Hill. Yet he found himself often in the stands in deference to the older options...

This season, we will be able to determine I Umile is going to capitalize on his last chance to change his stripes (assuming he's making the decisions).

There is a FR goalie with - at least - tremendous potential to challenge a pair of completely underwhelming fourth-year players. Robinson should at least get a chance to win the job. A REAL CHANCE.

There are 3-4 capable defenseman with high ceilings incoming, but 5-6 returning letter winners, including Wyse and 3 upperclass regulars. How many FR will play? On talent alone I think it should be at least three. I doubt that's the case...

Up front they bring in at least two forwards who should skate consistently. Kelleher, while not his brother, is likely to immediately be far more skilled than many of the top offensive options returning. It wouldn't surprise me if he is consistently playing on a lower line in lieu of lesser players. Even his brother had to toil...

MacAdams should immediately skate ahead of most of the role players returning. Will he? Perhaps Umile sits Cefalu more often, but I doubt he even considers touching Miller's ice time despite the fact that MacAdams is simply much better at playing the role Miller is asked to fill. His easiest path to playing time is probably Unile sitting down an underclass skill guy for 'defensive' purposes. Tough break Fregona, you're the better player here too...

I'll be surprised if Miller, Chanter, Dawson, Boyd (?), Tirone and even Cefalu (among others) aren't playing regularly next year - ahead of better, younger players - because under Umile that has always been the case. Why would he change in his final season?
                            Well, if Dick does play these guys over better freshmen this coming season, he can say good bye to the NRN. But, many of these guys, along with Hill, did not see a lot of ice time even when they were in uniform this past season, perhaps in more games than they should have been, over Fregona anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              Interesting that you mentioned Foster. He was definitely not athletic, but he was big and, with the equipment, he filled up the net. If Robinson is the second coming of Brian Foster, I'd be happy.
                              Agree. Wouldn't it be refreshing to return to the days when the goalie (and by extension - the defense) was cool, calm and collected, instead of frantic and rabid?

Comment

Dan and I may disagree on Tirone to a degree, but I think we'd both be shocked if Coach Umile opened up goalie to real competition this coming season. Personally, I think the only competition I'm expecting is whether Robinson or Clark get the sloppy seconds. I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this, but the leopard isn't likely to be changing its spots in its final season. I'm with JB on this, the NRN is all the more reason Coach won't risk a change.

If there's a legit goalie competition AND the frosh defensemen start from the outset, then we'll know Souza is more in charge ... but I don't see that happening, and it's why BS35+5 should have bought out Coach already.
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X