PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota @ Michigan St 12/9 & 12/10

Pages : [1] 2

gopher wes
12-07-2016, 12:00 PM
So Minnesota plays MSU this weekend. Last weekend before the break for the Gophers. Do we care?

Friday is a 5:30pm CT puck drop with the Saturday rematch at 7pm CT. Both games will air on BTN.

gomsuman
12-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Finally some Big Ten hockey! These two teams always seem to play close games (with a couple exceptions). I expect more of the same in that regard this weekend.

It will be interesting to see if MSU can keep the semi-momentum it has after a good weekend at North Dakota and a 5-1 win over the Under-18 team.

D2D
12-07-2016, 01:58 PM
The way the Gophers have been playing lately I see nothing but a sweep for MSU at home. Still, I do care and will be hoping for the Gophers to somehow pull out a win.

Oh, and I'm only half-kidding.

gopher wes
12-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Finally some Big Ten hockey!
Shame on you! Everyone knows we aren't supposed to be excited about B1G Hockey.......

Slap Shot
12-07-2016, 04:00 PM
I think this is the first season in which I've fully embraced the B1G. What choice do I have I know, but nothing against MSU this was a "meh" series in the past but now I look forward to it. MSU may not have the greatest record, but they took 3/4 at UND and held DU to 5 goals in 2 games even if both were a L. MSU at home, small sheet of ice, UM will need to bring it all weekend.

D2D
12-07-2016, 04:02 PM
MSU at home, small sheet of ice, UM will need to bring it all weekend.
All weekend you say? When's the last time THAT happened? :confused:;)

Slap Shot
12-07-2016, 06:46 PM

:(

Pirateasaur
12-07-2016, 07:51 PM
While MSU fans are not as down on the team as we anticipated we'd be by now, I don't think any of that has translated into real confidence against better teams. We are 4-6, after all. Minny SHOULD sweep this series and I don't think it should be that difficult but I anticipate at least one of these games going right down to the wire. I predict having to settle for moral victories.

3-2 UM
5-2 UM

D2D
12-08-2016, 01:15 AM
:(
Yeah, sorry I've become pretty much of a pessimist, based on what I've seen lately. But I'm still very much hoping the team can start to play up to its potential, which I think is very high. This weekend will tell a lot as to what we can expect in the second half.

gomsuman
12-08-2016, 09:14 AM
While MSU fans are not as down on the team as we anticipated we'd be by now, I don't think any of that has translated into real confidence against better teams. We are 4-6, after all. Minny SHOULD sweep this series and I don't think it should be that difficult but I anticipate at least one of these games going right down to the wire. I predict having to settle for moral victories.

3-2 UM
5-2 UM

Are you talking about MSU's goalie or the opponent this weekend? :D - This should make it hard for you Minnesota fans to heckle our goaltender at least...

My Prediction for the weekend based purely on what I've seen MSU is capable of this year.
Friday- MSU 5-3
Saturday- MSU 4-2

gopher wes
12-08-2016, 10:01 AM
This is the reason I'm leaning split this weekend.

Pirateasaur
12-08-2016, 11:22 AM
Are you talking about MSU's goalie or the opponent this weekend? :D - This should make it hard for you Minnesota fans to heckle our goaltender at least...

My Prediction for the weekend based purely on what I've seen MSU is capable of this year.
Friday- MSU 5-3
Saturday- MSU 4-2

Ho man I hope I get that optimistic eventually. I may be in a few days if you are right.

I think Minnesota is better than their record. It looks like they've played a very tough schedule.

It would not surprise me if MSU got a win. We do tend to play these guys tough. MSU will need great goaltending, good shot blocking and a little puck luck, I think.

D2D
12-08-2016, 11:46 AM
This is the reason I'm leaning split this weekend.
And then there's the X Factor: Which Schierhorn will show up.

gopher wes
12-08-2016, 12:08 PM
MSU will need great goaltending
False, you can get away with really half-*****ed goaltending if you can put up some goals against the very inconsistent Eric Schierhorn.
See: D2D's post below.

And then there's the X Factor: Which Schierhorn will show up.

gomsuman
12-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Ho man I hope I get that optimistic eventually. I may be in a few days if you are right.

I think Minnesota is better than their record. It looks like they've played a very tough schedule.

It would not surprise me if MSU got a win. We do tend to play these guys tough. MSU will need great goaltending, good shot blocking and a little puck luck, I think.

Again this is only from what I've seen MSU is capable of. They have dominated play for long periods of time against very good teams in North Dakota and Denver. Obviously Minnesota is the same caliber of team so I would be very happy with a split this weekend. I just have a feeling MSU could come away with 2 victories this weekend if the upward trend of MSU continues.

5mn_Major
12-08-2016, 02:22 PM

This is a not very great version of a typical Minnesota team. We are motivated for games against top opponents. We are not for teams that are average.

We had a great series against UND and beat BC on the road. We got swept by a .500 SCSU and lost to a soft NE team. Other teams who knows. For OSU, we won and then underestimated them and got destroyed. Mankato was a mess also

That's why you'll be hard pressed to find a Gopher fan betting on something better than a split.

gopher wes
12-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Happy gameday, everyone. Kind of excited for the 5:30 start time tonight. Not as much waiting around after work and will be able to watch the better part of the Wild game after it's over.

D2D
12-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Happy gameday, everyone. Kind of excited for the 5:30 start time tonight. Not as much waiting around after work and will be able to watch the better part of the Wild game after it's over.
Yes, Happy Gameday to all Gopher and Spartans fans alike. It will be very interesting to see how the Gophers respond after last Saturday's dismal effort. I'll just leave it at that, for now.

Pirateasaur
12-09-2016, 01:39 PM
I've been waiting for these games for 2 weeks now. All of these bye weekends are frustrating. Well, we technically played the U-18's but MSU has only played 11 actual games.

I guess MSU will be down a couple defenseman, including Gatt, one of our experienced players. We'll see if UM can take advantage of any mistakes by our D. I wonder if Anastos will choose to shorten the bench or continue rolling 6 D.

gomsuman
12-09-2016, 01:50 PM
I've been waiting for these games for 2 weeks now. All of these bye weekends are frustrating. Well, we technically played the U-18's but MSU has only played 11 actual games.

I guess MSU will be down a couple defenseman, including Gatt, one of our experienced players. We'll see if UM can take advantage of any mistakes by our D. I wonder if Anastos will choose to shorten the bench or continue rolling 6 D.

In the article in the Lansing State Journal it says he plans to play two freshmen in their absence (Scarsella and Chrcek). Both have seen limited action this year, but neither seemed like a huge downgrade in talent... just lack the game experience.

Still this news has me downgrading my prediction this weekend to a split.
Friday- MSU 4-3
Sat- Min 5-2