Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 USA Hockey Women's Winter Training Camp Roster Set

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    He may be good with goalies, but the F and D couldn't connect on a pass to save their lives.
    Agreed, despite all the SOG they managed they did not play like a team. Separate from the issue of pulling players from their teams and from the potential for injury these useless games provide, my main complaint with this (and with the men's Olympic clusterfluster) is that hockey is a TEAM sport and the best players may not make the best team particularly if they do not have time to play with each other & grow into a team. You do not get 18 skaters together & have them practice for a day or two & expect the best performance.

As for coaching I have no idea, was he the head coach? If you I guess they viewed the whole process as a tryout. But I wouldn't grade a coach (or the players much either) on a this performance for the reason I gave above.

Comment

I thought the U.S. team passed well enough until the 3rd period, when their whole game unraveled. That was a little ironic, coming after Decker's TV interview when she stressed how important it was for the team to play a complete 60 minutes, with 20 more to go at that point. Give Canada credit for coming out blazing in the 3rd, when they almost immediately took the game over.

Until then, USA looked to be the more skilled team, but there were a few problems. Among them, from my vantage point on the couch:

> All too often they were content to pass the puck around, unnecessarily going backwards instead of moving it up-ice. This gave Canada too much opportunity to get into a good defensive position and take advantage of the one errant pass (which was sure to come eventually) and quickly reverse the play and give them an odd-man break.

> On the power play, which they had plenty of in the first two periods - thanks to some questionable calls by the referees - they passed the puck around too much and for too long on the perimeter, including on a couple of extended two-man advantages. Too often they failed to establish much of a front-net presence for screens and tips (something that Canada does very well). Although the U.S. passed the puck well around Canada's box and got lots of shots off, most of them came from too far out. And on the vast majority their goalie was able to see them coming the entire way. The story here: get more traffic in front and crash the net! On the few occasions when they did they had some success.

> I also wonder if all the power plays in the first two periods didn't sap a lot of energy out of some key U.S. players, who seemed tired in the 3rd...not just physically but mentally as well. Canada came out strong and determined, and the Americans simply did not respond well at all, with numerous turnovers and some very poor decision-making that you saw very little of in the first two periods.

Hopefully the U.S. will learn from their mistakes and actually heed Decker's advice when it comes to playing hard and smart the entire 60 minutes. As mentioned this game's outcome doesn't mean much (if anything) but losing the way they did had to hurt more than a little.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I thought the U.S. team passed well enough until the 3rd period, when their whole game unraveled. That was a little ironic, coming after Decker's TV interview when she stressed how important it was for the team to play a complete 60 minutes, with 20 more to go at that point. Give Canada credit for coming out blazing in the 3rd, when they almost immediately took the game over.

Until then, USA looked to be the more skilled team, but there were a few problems. Among them, from my vantage point on the couch:

> All too often they were content to pass the puck around, unnecessarily going backwards instead of moving it up-ice. This gave Canada too much opportunity to get into a good defensive position and take advantage of the one errant pass (which was sure to come eventually) and quickly reverse the play and give them an odd-man break.

> On the power play, which they had plenty of in the first two periods - thanks to some questionable calls by the referees - they passed the puck around too much and for too long on the perimeter, including on a couple of extended two-man advantages. Too often they failed to establish much of a front-net presence for screens and tips (something that Canada does very well). Although the U.S. passed the puck well around Canada's box and got lots of shots off, most of them came from too far out. And on the vast majority their goalie was able to see them coming the entire way. The story here: get more traffic in front and crash the net! On the few occasions when they did they had some success.

> I also wonder if all the power plays in the first two periods didn't sap a lot of energy out of some key U.S. players, who seemed tired in the 3rd...not just physically but mentally as well. Canada came out strong and determined, and the Americans simply did not respond well at all, with numerous turnovers and some very poor decision-making that you saw very little of in the first two periods.

Hopefully the U.S. will learn from their mistakes and actually heed Decker's advice when it comes to playing hard and smart the entire 60 minutes. As mentioned this game's outcome doesn't mean much (if anything) but losing the way they did had to hurt more than a little.
        I thought Canada owned most of the first period too, particularly if you deduct the powerplays. As for those powerplays, it seemed to me that they had one play over and over, that was to feed a forward on the red line just off the net and then try to force a pass through the crease. They almost never got the puck through & when they did there was never a stick to knock it in. Their first PPG came on a slapper from the point & I wish they had tried that a bit more instead.

It hadn't occurred to me that Canada might be more rested from all the extra bench time the refs gave them

Comment

USA played like doggy doo doo. Rob Stauber is the the coach!?
          A very precise assessment. I agree. Can't remember when I saw 60 minutes of retreat and circle back, keep the puck on the perimeter on numerous 5 on 3's. Maybe USA is trying to lull Canada into a coma?
          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Will tonight's game be streamed in the USA?
            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
              Schedule shows HockeyTV.com :
              http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...ampions-series

For $24.99 I think I'll pass (great way to boost interest in the women's game, eh?)
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                I thought Canada owned most of the first period too, particularly if you deduct the powerplays.
                Until the cavalcade of penalties it was all Canada in the first period. #7 was horrible the whole game. She couldn't send an accurate pass to a teammate. Twice the USA purposefully pulled the pick out of the O zone and regrouped when they just could have circled back in and attacked while holding the zone.

Stauber's non-goalie coaching credentials are SLIM pickings. No head coaching experience at all, just 2 years as an assistant coach on the national team. There's probably hundreds of candidates who are more qualified than him.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Until the cavalcade of penalties it was all Canada in the first period. #7 was horrible the whole game. She couldn't send an accurate pass to a teammate. Twice the USA purposefully pulled the pick out of the O zone and regrouped when they just could have circled back in and attacked while holding the zone.

Stauber's non-goalie coaching credentials are SLIM pickings. No head coaching experience at all, just 2 years as an assistant coach on the national team. There's probably hundreds of candidates who are more qualified than him.
                  We go back to what the purpose of these couple of games is. Everyone got a chance to show what they can do. certainly his alma mater does not affect your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                    Try this...

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Tea...ary?gameid=148

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Schedule shows HockeyTV.com :
                      http://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/sh...ampions-series

For $24.99 I think I'll pass (great way to boost interest in the women's game, eh?)
                      You can watch the hockeytv.com stream for free, you just have to register for an account. It's actually the exact same feed that's being shown on Hockey Canada's website, but hockeytv has a roku channel that's a much higher quality than I was getting chromecasting hockey canada's site.
                      Last edited by Nowheresville; 12-19-2016, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I was wondering if Timothy was watching & what he thought of Canada on the 5 on 3. Seemed like they spent a full minute of the 1:40 2 man advantage with the D passing the puck back and forth. Grand total of 1 SOG.

Of minor interest to MN fans, the Canadian announcers are pronouncing 'Potomak' almost the same as we pronounce that river and town in Maryland
                        Pah-toe-MAK instead of POT-ah-mak
                        Last edited by ne7minder; 12-19-2016, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Canada ties it a 2-2 with a 6 on 5 goal with only seconds on the clock

Edit: well, nobody got tired in OT! 3-2 Canada, I think the ref threw the puck into the net instead of dropping it for the faceoff
                          Last edited by ne7minder; 12-19-2016, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                            We go back to what the purpose of these couple of games is. Everyone got a chance to show what they can do. certainly his alma mater does not affect your opinion.
                            His alma mater doesn't affect my opinion at all. My opinion is based on facts, that's why I mentioned his resume on the post. If he's the best the USA can do we're screwed.

Didn't see tonight's game, didn't realize the feed was free. The way the game ended anyway would have drove me back to the thinner.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

[QUOTE=DC78-82;6410737]So, who would you leave off the roster, and why? Which defensemen have underperformed?[Pfalzer and Stecklein. Pfalzer is at-8 in her 9 games....and Stecklein is also a -1 or so with the #2 team in the country. If you base your decisions on performance and finding the best "real" defensemen (meaning keep the puck out of the net not bringing the puck up to score then there should be others to consider. I also don't think a High schooler should jump over college girls if this is to prepare for the Olympics. You should be using your College pipeline first. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

Curious...in last night's streamed US vs Can game did anyone else lack the option to expand to full screen?

Comment

Working...
                                X