North Star College Cup-Final Year??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Star College Cup-Final Year??

Is this going to be the last year of the North Star College Cup? I have heard from 2 sources that it is done after this year but can't find any more info to confirm it.

Re: North Star College Cup-Final Year??

Originally posted by oldchfan View Post
    Is this going to be the last year of the North Star College Cup? I have heard from 2 sources that it is done after this year but can't find any more info to confirm it.
    This article mentions the uncertainty of extending the tournament. Nothing official though.
    http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2016...ment-2022-2023

Comment

With Notre Dame joining the Big Roll-a-D20 for hockey, it will more than likely bring them up to 24 conference games (I don't know if there's anything concrete to support that, but with 7 teams and they already play each other 4 times in that league for 20 games, it's at least a hypothesis). Given this is centered around smaller Minnesota schools wanting to play UMTC as it was in the old WCHA, let's consider their schedule. 24 conference games (assumed), add 2 for the Mariucci tournament, and with a 34 game limit, leaves four weekends (let's assume they don't pull a Michigan and start doing one-and-dones).

Not to mention, how much revenue does the tournament generate each year? Is it at least a positive number? If not, all school involved are better off just trying to bring in some other teams across the nation.

Comment

Originally posted by oldchfan View Post
        I've enjoyed attending it, but if it's not a big money maker, I don't know that it will be greatly missed. We've played UMD, SCSU, and the U multiple times, both home and away, since the realignment. As long as the schools continue scheduling each other (and dropping this would free up one more weekend to do that), there really isn't a big need for it. The only real advantages to it over regular games are that I get to see 4 games in a weekend instead of 2, and I get to make a trip to the X without spending $100 a seat. But for the non-U games, let's just say that plenty of good seats are available.
        Last edited by purpleinnebraska; 11-16-2016, 06:26 AM.

Comment

There was a blurb in today's StarTribune that the Gophs and UMD had signed into a four series over five year contract with home and home series each year. It starts with the 2018-19 season. That would make sense if the North Star Cup is on the way out.
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
            There was a blurb in today's StarTribune that the Gophs and UMD had signed into a four series over five year contract with home and home series each year. It starts with the 2018-19 season. That would make sense if the North Star Cup is on the way out.
            I hope that doesn't mean we won't get Minnesota on the schedule anymore. If the North Star Cup does get scrapped I would love to see BSU get as many of the MN schools as possible on the schedule. We already play Mankato and UMD every year anyways but would love to get a home and home or alternating series with both SCSU and UMN. Not sure if it could work out with the limited weekends available but would love to see it happen

Comment

Originally posted by BSUBeavs View Post
              I hope that doesn't mean we won't get Minnesota on the schedule anymore. If the North Star Cup does get scrapped I would love to see BSU get as many of the MN schools as possible on the schedule. We already play Mankato and UMD every year anyways but would love to get a home and home or alternating series with both SCSU and UMN. Not sure if it could work out with the limited weekends available but would love to see it happen
              The issue you have is that the WCHA has a 28 game league schedule, only leaving four to six games open for non-conference, depending on the Alaska exemption. I want to see North Dakota remain on the schedule as they have been the most accomidating on scheduling BSU since the Beavers moved to D-I. UMD has been the next, so it would be nice to see them remain there as well. So, that only leaves the Alaska years where BSU could try and schedule Minnesota or St. Cloud.
              Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

https://***********/mattwellens/stat...25363001651200

Sounds like it is done. Too bad as I hoped it could grow into something really cool...but it just wasn't in the cards.
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  https://***********/mattwellens/stat...25363001651200

Sounds like it is done. Too bad as I hoped it could grow into something really cool...but it just wasn't in the cards.
                  That sucks. I wonder if one cycle is really giving it enough time to be successful? Seems like everything here as of late is a quick/knee jerk reaction.
                  Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

That sucks. I wonder if one cycle is really giving it enough time to be successful? Seems like everything here as of late is a quick/knee jerk reaction.
                    Hint: Gophers didn't win
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Hint: Gophers didn't win
                      Exactly. The tournament needed the Gophers to be successful to their fans would have a reason to show up en masse. Since the Gophers have never won the thing (have they even won a single game in the tournament?), their casual fans weren't interested. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the tournament has been a net money loser.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Exactly. The tournament needed the Gophers to be successful to their fans would have a reason to show up en masse. Since the Gophers have never won the thing (have they even won a single game in the tournament?), their casual fans weren't interested. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the tournament has been a net money loser.
                        Pretty sure they won the inaugural in a shootout against UMD.
                        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                          Pretty sure they won the inaugural in a shootout against UMD.
                          That's correct. The Gophers won via shootout (4-4 tie for official purposes) against Duluth in 2014.

They have not won a game since. In 2015 they lost twice, with BSU winning. In 2016 they lost twice, with SCSU winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Pump It Up View Post
                            That's correct. The Gophers won via shootout (4-4 tie for official purposes) against Duluth in 2014.

They have not won a game since. In 2015 they lost twice, with BSU winning. In 2016 they lost twice, with SCSU winning.
                            Tied with MSU for the worst record since the creation of the tournament.......
                            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I wonder how this would been different had it been during the holidays...

Fanbases just are not big enough, it's too bad.
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                              X