PDA

View Full Version : Diii

Pages : [1] 2

Women's Hockey Fan
10-31-2016, 12:25 PM
Anyone know the results of Elmira's exhibition game played yesterday?

Hammer
10-31-2016, 12:30 PM
Apparently it was all a figment of everybody's imagination. Nothing anywhere.

St Catherine's beat Lake Forest 3-2 in OT yesterday as well.

pucko
10-31-2016, 03:49 PM

Judging by the shots, LF probably dominated, but couldn't put the puck in the net. Looks like it might be a long season for them now that Greenway has graduated.

MND3Dad
10-31-2016, 04:40 PM
MIAC teams might be improved this year. Gustavus now healthy, St. Thomas recruited very well, and young teams near the bottom of the league now have some experience. St. Mary's & St. Ben's went 2-0, St. Olaf went 1-1 against #11 UWSP, and every team that played at least got a split over the weekend. And that's without three of the better teams playing, Concordia, Gustavus and St. Thomas.

Nobody's saying the MIAC can throw down against Plattsburgh, but the conference will likely be better this year.

obserbear
10-31-2016, 05:55 PM
MIAC teams might be improved this year. Gustavus now healthy, St. Thomas recruited very well, and young teams near the bottom of the league now have some experience. St. Mary's & St. Ben's went 2-0, St. Olaf went 1-1 against #11 UWSP, and every team that played at least got a split over the weekend. And that's without three of the better teams playing, Concordia, Gustavus and St. Thomas.

Nobody's saying the MIAC can throw down against Plattsburgh, but the conference will likely be better this year.

Looking west, with no real knowledge of the teams (save the finals and crossover tournaments of past seasons), it looked like River Falls dominated Bethel 4-0 with shots 42-12 on Saturday. Is River Falls becoming the western division of the Red Army?

Scott_TG
11-01-2016, 06:45 AM

HTI finally updated their site and it shows Elmira winning 2-1. Pretty gritty of the junior team to bounce back from a 5-0 loss to Plattsburgh to hold Elmira to just two goals (and score one of their own) the next night. They also tied Chatham. I'm interested to see what Adrian makes of HTI tomorrow.

Hammer
11-01-2016, 07:07 AM
I don't expect Adrian to show much of anything, seeing as how the girls are getting on a bus Thursday to go play at SNC on Friday night.

Scott_TG
11-01-2016, 07:16 AM
I don't expect Adrian to show much of anything, seeing as how the girls are getting on a bus Thursday to go play at SNC on Friday night.

They're putting a team out against them so there will be something. And by virtue of tying Chatham, HTI is more accomplished in DIII hockey than Daniel Webster, so they'll need to show some effort or will be embarrassed.

I'm really rooting for Adrian this year as the NCAA final has to be at a western school this year and that would be the easiest destination for me.

shelfit
11-01-2016, 09:02 AM
HTI finally updated their site and it shows Elmira winning 2-1. Pretty gritty of the junior team to bounce back from a 5-0 loss to Plattsburgh to hold Elmira to just two goals (and score one of their own) the next night. They also tied Chatham. I'm interested to see what Adrian makes of HTI tomorrow.

I have a feeling this might be a bit of a different season for Elmira with more losses than they are normally used to....just a hunch.

Scott_TG
11-01-2016, 10:42 AM
I have a feeling this might be a bit of a different season for Elmira with more losses than they are normally used to....just a hunch.

I think that's a reasonable feeling but I still say that any team that underestimates Elmira does so at their own peril.

hieronymus
11-01-2016, 11:57 AM
I think that's a reasonable feeling but I still say that any team that underestimates Elmira does so at their own peril.

I'll 2nd that. They have a lot of talent and skill on that team. And some of it was very young last year so I can see those younger players taking a leap forward this year and making an even bigger impact.

HockeyEast33
11-01-2016, 05:24 PM
I'll 2nd that. They have a lot of talent and skill on that team. And some of it was very young last year so I can see those younger players taking a leap forward this year and making an even bigger impact.

I think the real factor here is the loss of Dean Jackson as coach. They will suffer as a result of this change as he was a good game coach.

joecct
11-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Anyone know why the Utica @ Lebanon Valley game was ppd?

Scott_TG
11-01-2016, 11:10 PM
Anyone know why the Utica @ Lebanon Valley game was ppd?

Maybe they're stalling because their goalie is still sore from making 78 saves against UMass Boston this past weekend? :p

shelfit
11-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Maybe they're stalling because their goalie is still sore from making 78 saves against UMass Boston this past weekend? :p

Or maybe it's because they only have 8 skaters and 3 goalies healthy enough to dress of their 16 players listed on their roster. It's hard to compete as a legit college team when you have fewer players than most beer league teams. That's what happens when you hire late and have your men's coach do all the recruiting for the first season even though he has no previous experience in women's hockey. Tough way to start or Coach Menard. I imagine she'll be clearing house there and bringing in her own players as soon as she can and nobody will be able to blame her. Unfortunately this year the team will probably resemble last year's Daniel Webster.

Hammer
11-02-2016, 06:54 PM
2-0 Adrian over HTI, halfway thru. Shots are 26-6 Adrian.

Hammer
11-02-2016, 08:03 PM
2-2 tie. Backup goaltender yielded two horrid goals, after the goaltending change halfway through. Shots were 53-15.

Take nothing from this game.

shelfit
11-03-2016, 07:05 AM
2-2 tie. Backup goaltender yielded two horrid goals, after the goaltending change halfway through. Shots were 53-15.

Take nothing from this game.

...other than that Adrian could only score 2 goals on 60+ shots on goal so either a great goaltending performance at the other end of the ice or the shot count is exaggerated or the shots are mostly lame ducks from outside 20 feet. 60+ shots should yield about 6 goals in women's hockey.

Hammer
11-03-2016, 07:08 AM
The other goaltender was outstanding.

I love how people tell me about games I attend that they didn't see, even though I was less than 5 feet from the action.

shelfit
11-03-2016, 09:53 AM
The other goaltender was outstanding.

I love how people tell me about games I attend that they didn't see, even though I was less than 5 feet from the action.

"so either a great goaltending performance at the other end of the ice"......so you're confirming the first of the three options I listed was spot on. Not too hard to figure out...stats don't lie.

Nobody's telling you about games you attend from 5 feet away (congratulations on scoring such great seats...you must be so proud of yourself). Merely pointing out that one of the biggest problems definitely at the D3 level of women's hockey and somewhat at the D1 level too is the lack of overall quality shooting skills throughout each team's roster (lack of true offensive depth). The problem starts with the coaches of the programs these kids come from as they grow up because those coaches spend far too much time on systems as the kids get older and not enough time on continuing to develop individual skills, mostly because too many of those coaches are focused on how many wins they can achieve because their egos are so out of wack. It's too much about them and their coaching "success" (only defined by the number of wins...very narrow minded) and too little about developing the overall player so they will be better when they move on to the college level no matter if that's going to be D1 or D3.