Utica College 2016/2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utica College 2016/2017

Anybody's guess what this team will do this year.

The loss of Fredrick (to the BCIHL) could be a telling blow unless one of the Fr. goalies steps up big. The team as a whole is a veteran squad, but lacks much in the way of finishers. The D-1 transfers' '15/'16 numbers do not wow (1G 1A in total for the 2 forwards). The schedule has been diluted by the addition of Stevenson and LVC to the W, so UC will probably need strong showings v. Plymouth, UMB, Amherst and Oswego/UWEC to bolster its national comparative data. (Having the first three of those games at The Aud, and 13 other home games, won't hurt.)

I'll predict a modest improvement over last season: 16-18 wins... The question will be, how many of those will be of the "quality" variety?

(Anyone know why Fredrick departed? Haven't seen anyone to ask but will dig-around on Saturday with what parents and insiders I can find.)

Re: Utica College 2016/2017

Looks like they picked up a few netminders,I am sure they will tow the line and Vertanen had some good #'s in the USHL,I would think he is the guy who gets the nod??......Also I would think there is that added insentive of the FF at The Aud.
    Last edited by bakdraft21; 10-27-2016, 12:42 PM.

Comment

150+ games between 3 players combined....that can be more valuable than a few extra points here and there.

And I'm sure you know this, but there is only 1 forward...which the DEFENSEMAN actually had decent career stats...
      Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 10-27-2016, 12:54 PM.
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
        Looks like they picked up a few netminders,I am sure they will tow the line and Vertanen had some good #'s in the USHL,I would think he is the guy who gets the nod??......Also I would think there is that added insentive of the FF at The Aud.
        Dill does hace 43 Division I games under his belt and not of the D3XL AHA Conference variety...
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          Dill does hace 43 Division I games under his belt and not of the D3XL AHA Conference variety...
          .....those 2 should battle it out but ya never know,I think they have 2 other netminders on the roster as well....also didnt see the samuels-Thomas on the roster?? I think the U may put a good season together this yr.....But then theres Hobart
          Last edited by bakdraft21; 10-27-2016, 02:11 PM.

Comment

6 non-seniors gone from last year's squad including aforementioned Samuels-Thomas and Fredrick.
            5 new frosh plus the 3 D-1 transfers.

Dill had some issues at UMass (via google) and GAA/SV% weren't that stellar but the door is open here for a #1 if he's up to the challenge.
            Frosh Gerson and Fitzpatrick put up good numbers in jrs last year. We'll see if they or anyone else evolves into a finisher role this team desperately seems to need.

Hobart seems to be the head of the class but that's why they play the games... Game on!

Comment

I'll miss Samuels-Thomas, who was by all accounts a good student and a good kid... But he never realized his potential on the ice, IMO. He sure could dangle and had great hands, but he drove me CRAZY with his pass-first mentality, especially as he generally played with much lesser line-mates. I did a little digging, and it appears that he may have run out of NCAA eligibility due to his stint with the QMJL, but that is not clear to me.

Anyhoo, if UC can bump-up their GPG from 2.75 to, say, just north of 3.00, and maintain a GA/G of around 2.5, they ought to be in most every game this year.

As for Dill, while his save % was rather dismal playing behind a pretty bad UMass team, he should find life easier at the D-3 level. He'll probably need to be fairly stingy for UC to have a shot at an NCAA berth.

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post
                6 non-seniors gone from last year's squad including aforementioned Samuels-Thomas and Fredrick.
                5 new frosh plus the 3 D-1 transfers.

Dill had some issues at UMass (via google) and GAA/SV% weren't that stellar but the door is open here for a #1 if he's up to the challenge.
                Frosh Gerson and Fitzpatrick put up good numbers in jrs last year. We'll see if they or anyone else evolves into a finisher role this team desperately seems to need.

Hobart seems to be the head of the class but that's why they play the games... Game on!
                While not "stellar", if you go back and look at past DI to DIII goaltender transfers, most are not. You also have to keep in mind too that most DI to DIII goalie transfers have only played "garbage" time (only 2 have played more than 10 games) or have come from AHA or the EZAC Conference.
                I'm sure I missed a couple but Dill would rank 4th in Save %
                Spencer Finney Plattsburgh (Colgate 23GP .904%, 2.68)
                Andrew Hare Oswego (Niagara 7GP .897%, 3.67)
                Adrian Ignagni Oswego (Niagara 26 GP .883%, 3.67)
                Henery Dill Utica (UMASS 32GP .872%, 4.18)
                His Save % would be above:
                Mathieu Cadieux PSU .935%, 1.76 (Quinnipiac)
                BJ OBrien SNC .922%, 1.80 (St. Cloud State)
                Bill Faust UMB .926%, 2.30 (Vermont)

If Dill can bring ANY one of those numbers those to Utica, they will be fine....just don't allow him around any police cars...
                Remy Babineaux
                remyb616@gmail.com
                D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                  While not "stellar", if you go back and look at past DI to DIII goaltender transfers, most are not. You also have to keep in mind too that most DI to DIII goalie transfers have only played "garbage" time (only 2 have played more than 10 games) or have come from AHA or the EZAC Conference.
                  I'm sure I missed a couple but Dill would rank 4th in Save %
                  Spencer Finney Plattsburgh (Colgate 23GP .904%, 2.68)
                  Andrew Hare Oswego (Niagara 7GP .897%, 3.67)
                  Adrian Ignagni Oswego (Niagara 26 GP .883%, 3.67)
                  Henery Dill Utica (UMASS 32GP .872%, 4.18)
                  His Save % would be above:
                  Mathieu Cadieux PSU .935%, 1.76 (Quinnipiac)
                  BJ OBrien SNC .922%, 1.80 (St. Cloud State)
                  Bill Faust UMB .926%, 2.30 (Vermont)

If Dill can bring ANY one of those numbers those to Utica, they will be fine....just don't allow him around any police cars...
                  It's been a while since Plattsburgh's played with a goalie who didn't transfer in... Cadieux (Quinnipiac), Finney (Colgate), and Rouleau (Quinnipiac)... Josh Lewis's Sophomore year in 2010-11 was the last season a non-transfer was the #1 goalie (unless Davies or Keating can stake a claim this year)

I know this is the Utica thread, but your post made me think about that
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                  ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                  NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                  NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                  NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                  NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Nice weekend! Didn't expect to see UC put up a 6-spot on either Fredonia or Plymouth, but I'll take it.

I have made a habit of b****ing about the MASCAC's AQ for years now, but I was impressed by Plymouth's size and talent, if not so much by Morelli in net. Likewise, Dill looked fairly awful tonight. His first two GA were as soft as butter, and he really didn't make a Grade-A save all night. (Not trying to get into his head, but does he not take this D-3 thing seriously, or is he really that numb out there?) UC looked gassed in the 3rd, but their 8 hours on the bus yesterday coupled with Plymouth already in town Friday for a full night's rest might account for that.

Loved what I saw from Ammirato. Reminded me of Educate: perhaps a little light for D-1 but blowing by defenders at this level. Schmidt looks like a keeper, too.

(As an aside, what is up with being wanded at The Aud, and the new "No Re-entry" policy? Could not even step foot into the GD lobby to make a phone call, nevermind my having season tickets... What a crock!)
                    Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-29-2016, 10:13 PM.

Comment

The PP system looks to be revamped this year--more shots and less passing. UC had 12 PPGs all of last year and 6 this weekend, not to mention the 3 shorties! Speaking of which, the cracking down on nit-noidy penalties was evident as 26(!) penalties were called tonight. This really dragged down the flow of play, not to mention the game lasting nearly 30 minutes longer than normal. It will be interesting to see if this emphasis continues at this pace all season.

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post
                        The PP system looks to be revamped this year--more shots and less passing. UC had 12 PPGs all of last year and 6 this weekend, not to mention the 3 shorties! Speaking of which, the cracking down on nit-noidy penalties was evident as 26(!) penalties were called tonight. This really dragged down the flow of play, not to mention the game lasting nearly 30 minutes longer than normal. It will be interesting to see if this emphasis continues at this pace all season.
                        Heenan said during his pre-game interview that the PP was overwrought last year, and now all he wants to see is efficient cycling of the puck and 2 guys in the low slot at all times. I agree; there were just too many instances last season of them passing the puck around the periphery without anyone in front of the net.

And, yeah, all the penalties made the game feel like a trip to the dentist. I'm betting that the refs back off of the stricter obstruction/interference standards long before you see any response from the players, or at least I hope they do... The game was being called plenty tight enough last season, IMO.

Comment

UC off to a great start, impressive, Hobart away in two weeks.
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Really nice start!

Wasn't sure where the goals were going to come from, but the new guys have produced big-time through the first four games: Ammirato stands out at 4-5-9, Schmidt is at 1-4-5 and Fitzpatrick has 3 tallies already. The veteran forwards are scoring by committee, and that's fine on a team this deep.

I'll take back what I have previously said about Dill after seeing him v. M'ville on Saturday. He looked as though he was taking this D-3 thing seriously, and made 4-5 Grade A saves. Virtanen impressed on Friday as well; don't know if one guy or the other has the inside track to be the go-to, but that's a nice problem to have.

The coming weekend's matinees will be interesting. I expect UC to roll LVC, then face a tough test vs. Stevenson. The latter has 28 (!) freshmen on the roster, but already looks like a force to be reckoned with. God help the rest of the W in the next few years, if this team holds together and all turn 22 in their Jr. season.

(And quickly, big props to Ray Biggs' work for ESPNUR on the radio coverage. Until he came along, the UC hockey announcers knew absolutely nothing about the game itself, let alone the D-3 nuances. Biggs provides a lot of inside information on the team, asks Heenan pertinent questions, and puts it all in a National perspective. I never bothered to listen to the ignorant drivel from his predecessors, but I make it a point to tune-in to his pre- and post-game shows... Very, very good work.)

Comment

First 5-0 start in program history, final four at the aud ? How great would that be ? May have to go see them today against a surprising 4-1 Stevenson, something like 20 frosh.

Manhattanville beat Hobart, first place up for grabs !
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                              X