Minnesota vs St Cloud State - Home/Home October 21 & 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota vs St Cloud State - Home/Home October 21 & 22

I usually let other people start these threads but I'm bored so here goes....

St Cloud is coming off a disappointing weekend after being swept in Mankato by the Minnesota St Mavericks. Minnesota played an exhibition game on Friday night disposing of the US Under-18 team by a score of 9-0. Previously the Golden Gophers won a pair of games in Anchorage defeating the UAA Seawolves and the the UAF Nanooks.

Friday's game is an 8pm puck drop at Mariucci Arena and will be airing on Fox Sports North Plus.
    Saturday's rematch at the National Hockey Center in St Cloud will be at 7pm and will also air on Fox Sports North Plus.

Go......
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Re: Minnesota vs St Cloud State - Home/Home October 21 & 22

What kind of attendance can we expect, both at Mariucci and in St. Cloud? Anyone hear anything specific?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

St. Cloud definitely looks to be down this year from the last couple years.

They struggled to generate much on their own this past weekend. On Friday they got pretty well outplayed through the first 2 periods. They controlled the 3rd period with better play in the neutral and offensive zones (and Mankato sitting on a multi-goal lead) but still couldn't translate that into scoring opportunities.

Saturday they capitalized on some defensive miscues by the Mavericks, but some miscues of their own and shaky goaltending allowed the Mavericks to take the lead back; after that the Huskies again struggled to generate scoring opportunities on their own despite controlling play for stretches.

I'd say if the Gophers limit defensive mistakes they will have a good shot at a sweep this weekend. Goaltending seems to be a weak link for St. Cloud right now, and that staple Motzko PP looks to be a few months away from being as efficient as we are used to seeing it be.

Comment

Odd to have a weekend against SCSU where logic says we should probably sweep. It certainly wouldn't be a surprise to have a tough series so early in the year.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          What kind of attendance can we expect, both at Mariucci and in St. Cloud? Anyone hear anything specific?
          As of last Friday there were still a fair number of tickets available for the game in St Cloud according to the ticket map on their website, especially the upper corners.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
            As of last Friday there were still a fair number of tickets available for the game in St Cloud according to the ticket map on their website, especially the upper corners.
            Thanks, I'm thinking about making the trip up there. Have only done it once previously for the men. I'll definitely be going to the game here; should be good!
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Ticket sales for Mariucci are pretty ugly relative to what we're used to. This is because of a huge drop in STH.

Comment

Mariucci's prices continue to be insane.

For those making the trip to St, Clooud a stop at Val's is a must. Also, if you want to torture your liver, a Hairy Buffalo at the Dugout is also one of the more common things to have.

Personally, I have always been a Red Carpet guy.

Mpls campus eats have changed drastically, with Campus Pizza and Big Ten Subs closing in the past year. Lots of chains now, and it's horrible.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  For those making the trip to St, Clooud a stop at Val's is a must.
                  Was in the plan. Double or triple cheeseburger? How big are the patties?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                    Was in the plan. Double or triple cheeseburger? How big are the patties?
                    A double is a decent sized burger. The fries are where it's at.

http://www.chowhound.com/post/mns-hi...t-cloud-470629

This bit says it all:

I've been studying a bit of French language lately. One tip I learned is regarding food and eating and the nuance of talking about it. How do you know when to say "je mange des frites" instead of "je mange les frites" I wonder? Well, I'm told "des" means you're eating fries, but "les" means you're eating all the fries in the world. I think on Saturday, I manged les frites.

In other words: DON'T order the large fries. The small fries is wayyyyyy more than enough.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Cool. I just worried that every review seems to be VERY old and that maybe they had gone downhill or portion sizes had come to reality.

Comment

Cool. I just worried that every review seems to be VERY old and that maybe they had gone downhill or portion sizes had come to reality.
                        It's more of a novelty of going there. The food is still good (or as good as a greasy spoon can be), went there last year with a buddy JUST for Val's. Ate, and pretty much turned around and came home. They don't really mess with their tradition or reputation.

Comment

I can be a bit of a burger snob, but overall St. Cloud just doesn't have many great options...

I'm all for dives, though, if the food is good. Doesn't have to be amazing.

Comment

I can be a bit of a burger snob, but overall St. Cloud just doesn't have many great options...

I'm all for dives, though, if the food is good. Doesn't have to be amazing.
                            Rest assured, Val's is a dive. All the grease. The bag goes from white to transparent by the time the worker hands you said bag.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Thanks, I'm thinking about making the trip up there. Have only done it once previously for the men. I'll definitely be going to the game here; should be good!
                              I haven't been since the last year of the WCHA. Looking forward to going back.

Sorry Brent, I cannot recommend the Hairy Buffalo to anyone. That is truly one of the worst drinks I have ever tasted. I do love MC's Dugout though. Does the Dugout still have a shuttle to the game?

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X