This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
    Let's have more performances like that "battling the puck." I guess he won that "battle." And got #1 star honors. And stole two points.

Ken Dryden used to end up "battling the puck" like that. And also kept it out of the net.

A 1.92 GAA and a .929 save percentage from a true freshman, with three shutouts in 11 games, and for some people that somehow isn't enough. If he maintained those numbers over his career, he would end up first all-time in both categories at BU.

This kid is really good. Cut him some slack.
    I have seen him control his rebounds better but you guys see him more then me.

I still don't see how McAvoy was a first rounder by the Bruins but JFK was BU's best skater tonight and every game.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Re: BU 2016-17 Season Thread I: The Kids are Alright

I didn't SEE the game but listened on the web. BUT...all I know is he stopped 38 of 39 shots. If that's "fighting the puck," he did a dam good job of it. From listening to these games, I get the sense that without him this team might be 4-8 instead of 8-4.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

A 1.92 GAA and a .929 save percentage from a true freshman, with three shutouts in 11 games, and for some people that somehow isn't enough. If he maintained those numbers over his career, he would end up first all-time in both categories at BU.

This kid is really good. Cut him some slack.
        And still just 17! Turns 18 in about 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
          I have seen him control his rebounds better but you guys see him more then me.

I still don't see how McAvoy was a first rounder by the Bruins but JFK was BU's best skater tonight and every game.
          McAvoy must have had an off night, because he usually stands out as being the best defenseman on the ice. His combination of poise, skating, and physicality (and a bit of a mean streak) is a rare find. IMHO, he stands a better than 50% chance of playing in the NHL next year.

Glad to hear JFK looked good. I think he needs at least another year, and even then may be AHL bound for at least a year. Of the forwards, Greenway is the most likely to be in the NHL next year (again, IMHO).
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
            McAvoy must have had an off night, because he usually stands out as being the best defenseman on the ice. His combination of poise, skating, and physicality (and a bit of a mean streak) is a rare find. IMHO, he stands a better than 50% chance of playing in the NHL next year.

Glad to hear JFK looked good. I think he needs at least another year, and even then may be AHL bound for at least a year. Of the forwards, Greenway is the most likely to be in the NHL next year (again, IMHO).
            Remember McAvoy came to PC last year and gooned it up to get ejected then suspended. I saw quotes from Quinn about JFK that he was getting compared to Bergeron as an every zone player.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              Roberto's (warranted) game misconduct contributed to that. PC's power play was awful.
              Not saying that Roberto's game misconduct wasn't warranted. It was.
              But I think Walman really sold it, too. Stayed down on the ice for quite awhile, and then was back out for the second shift on the powerplay. He must have amazing recuperative powers.

PC over-passed on the PP. Maybe some of that was BU did a good job positionally killing penalties. The Friars looked more dangerous 5x5, especially the last 10 minutes.

When is Gravalese going to retire? Or at least be relegated to slower, non-D1 games?
              He used to be a pretty good official. Now he should be charged the price of admission for spectating.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                Remember McAvoy came to PC last year and gooned it up to get ejected then suspended. I saw quotes from Quinn about JFK that he was getting compared to Bergeron as an every zone player.
                dude, remember you beat them for the NC a couple years ago, don't be bitter because you outplayed them and their stud goalie stole 2 points from your team................pretty sure you'd welcome McAvoy on the Friars not to mention JFK. Good luck tonight though

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                  dude, remember you beat them for the NC a couple years ago, don't be bitter because you outplayed them and their stud goalie stole 2 points from your team................pretty sure you'd welcome McAvoy on the Friars not to mention JFK. Good luck tonight though
                  That was more of a comment on the Bruins selecting him so high ;-) Out of the two of them, JFK has impressed me more

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                    That was more of a comment on the Bruins selecting him so high ;-) Out of the two of them, JFK has impressed me more
                    McAvoy is also literally the youngest you can be for his class. He won't be 19 until Christmas so while he's loaded with talent, it's still very raw.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Bellows was obviously benched for the third period and OT, for taking some bad penalties. He was standing and leaning on the bench like he couldn't wait to get back into the game for most of the last 10 minutes of regulation.

After being bench for the third period, and showing his eagerness to get back in, I thought Quinn might give him a shift in the OT. He is a potential game-changer with his release. But Quinn didn't bite.
                      In the long-term that might be the best for Bellows, who needs to avoid the bad penalties, especially in the offensive end.

I hope that Quinn reunites Bellows with Keller, when Keller comes back from injury. JFK-Greenway-Harper is a solid line. Bellows and Keller were a real force together for the US Jrs., and getting them back together when just create an offensive spark that this team needs.

Comment

He was on the bench for the second period as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          He was on the bench for the second period as well.
                          No argument that he needed to have a message sent regarding the penalties. But I did start to feel a little bad for him when his benching still didn't quell the steady parade of Terriers to the sin bin. Also I think the call on his second penalty was a little weak.
                          Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by smyler3 View Post
                            No argument that he needed to have a message sent regarding the penalties. But I did start to feel a little bad for him when his benching still didn't quell the steady parade of Terriers to the sin bin. Also I think the call on his second penalty was a little weak.
                            I wonder in that situation if Quinn tells him he's going to sit the rest of the game, or if he just keeps not calling his number. I too noticed the way he was sitting on the edge of the boards facing the coaching staff at most stoppages in play.
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

After being bench for the third period, and showing his eagerness to get back in, I thought Quinn might give him a shift in the OT. He is a potential game-changer with his release. But Quinn didn't bite.
                              In the long-term that might be the best for Bellows, who needs to avoid the bad penalties, especially in the offensive end.

I hope that Quinn reunites Bellows with Keller, when Keller comes back from injury. JFK-Greenway-Harper is a solid line. Bellows and Keller were a real force together for the US Jrs., and getting them back together when just create an offensive spark that this team needs.
                              So we were told. Haven't seen it. All I see is a forward with 16 minors in 14 games.

Maybe Keller-Bellows is this decade's version of Phil Kessell-Jason Lawrence. Now, I'd love it if Bellows has the senior year that Lawrence had, but while I can see some talent, I see someone who is on the 2nd line based on name and expectations only. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by kbz View Post
                                So we were told. Haven't seen it. All I see is a forward with 16 minors in 14 games.

Maybe Keller-Bellows is this decade's version of Phil Kessell-Jason Lawrence. Now, I'd love it if Bellows has the senior year that Lawrence had, but while I can see some talent, I see someone who is on the 2nd line based on name and expectations only. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
                                Bellows' shot by itself puts him in another league from Lawrence. He hasn't quite lived up to some of the hype yet - he's 1/3 into his freshman year - but the comparison to Jason Lawrence is not there. Bellows' release is top notch.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X