This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2016-17 Season Thread I: The Kids are Alright

Okey-dokey. Clip and save if The Big O gets hurt and a rusty back-up needs to win a big game. I'm sure nobody will question not giving said-back-up a few games.

EDIT TO SAY: What brassbonanza said!
    It Happened!!!!

Comment

• AJ Greer suits up, and on the ice for Col tonight. I didn't see this coming.
      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
        AJ Greer suits up, and on the ice for Col tonight. I didn't see this coming.
        Just didn't develop under davey boy

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
          I still think Quinn has to get LaCouvee a few starts. Gonna bite him in the *** if he doesn't. Not to mention it's kind of a dick move. By all accounts he's a good kid who works hard.
          Originally posted by Bomber View Post
          Okey-dokey. Clip and save if The Big O gets hurt and a rusty back-up needs to win a big game. I'm sure nobody will question not giving said-back-up a few games.
          The last time BU started the same goalie for the first eight games of the season was 2009-10 when Coach Parker started Kieran Millan, despite his losing 5 of the first seven (he also lost the eighth). There was much more reason to start Grant Rollheiser before the ninth game (unless he was hurt, which I don’t recall). And in 2006-07 Coach Parker started John Curry for the first ten games of the season.

And those are just at the start of the season. You mention a rusty back-up, so I would guess you think the back-up needs to play every so often. So, how often should a back-up start? And should a back-up start down the stretch just to give the #1 goalie a break?

I ask because last season LaCouvee started 7 straight at one point and Maguire started 13 straight. In 2014-15 O’Connor ended the season starting 11 straight. In 2013-14 O’Connor started 8 straight. In 2011-12 Millan started 20 straight. In 2010-11 Millan ended the season starting 22 straight games. And in 2009-10 Millan ended the season starting 16 straight (after beginning the season starting 8 straight). In 2006-07 Curry ended the season starting 17 straight (after beginning the season starting 10 straight). In 2005-06 Curry ended the season starting 19 straight. In 2004-05 Curry started 12 straight twice.

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          To be fair to Bomber, Jake did not have a good weekend and has very clearly struggled on the road albeit against top competition. He hung in tough yesterday but was fighting the puck all weekend, got out of position a few times which is very uncharacteristic for him, and let in a few real softies. He certainly deserves to continue as the #1 goalie, but it might be time to give Connor a start just to give Jake a mental break. Not to mention we have three games in five days starting on Saturday, so giving Connor one of the UConn games would be fine.
          Do you really think he had a bad game Saturday? I watched and thought he had a good game, despite the color guy putting him down several time before stating he was having a good third period. Statistically he had a very good game, with 27 saves on 29 shots (93.1 save percentage).

I do agree that it would be a good time to start LaCouvee in one of the three upcoming games.

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
          Lacouvee is a decent backup. That is just what he is. People forget that he came late when Maguire missed his junior year. He had a losing record with a team won everything until the third period of the NCAA championship game. I don't think he was ever brought her to be the starter. He was brought here to be Stephan Siwiec.
          That’s not fair to LaCouvee as he came in relief of Matt O’Connor in 2 games in which O’Connor had given up 3 and 5 goals, while LaCouvee only gave up 1 goal in each game. Unfortunately for LaCouvee BU ended up scoring 3 and 5 goals in those games, so he was given the losses. Take those out and he had a winning record.
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            First ever win at Yost? They needed that.
            Originally posted by defkit View Post
            Wow, that's remarkable for an old barn.
            BU has only played 7 games at Yost during 4 trips, with the first being during the 1989-90 season. And Michigan has fared only slightly better at BU, going 2-7 in 9 games: 1-3 at Walter Brown and 1-4 at Agganis.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              Do you really think he had a bad game Saturday? I watched and thought he had a good game, despite the color guy putting him down several time before stating he was having a good third period. Statistically he had a very good game, with 27 saves on 29 shots (93.1 save percentage).
              He was better Saturday than he was on Friday but still looked uncomfortable at times. There were a few instances where he made a few saves look a lot more difficult than necessary, had a bit of rebound control problems, got into a few puck handling conundrums behind the net, not to mention that second goal he'd realllllly like to have back. He definitely showed a lot of poise hanging in there when he wasn't having his best night and made some key stops in the third to keep the score where it was, but it looked like he was having a tough time mentally. Could be that there were some of his former NTDP people there, maybe the Yost environment was a challenge, who knows. He's so young that any number of things could have affected him. I think of it like a starting pitcher who doesn't have his best stuff on a night, makes a few mistakes, gets into a few jams, but battles for six innings and leaves his team with a one-run lead and in position to win. But it shows a lot of maturity and improvement that he hung in there against a offensively talented team on the road to earn the W and definitely should continue to be the primary #1 starter. That said, I still think he needs one game off this weekend for both scheduling and mental refresh purposes.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                He was better Saturday than he was on Friday but still looked uncomfortable at times. There were a few instances where he made a few saves look a lot more difficult than necessary, had a bit of rebound control problems, got into a few puck handling conundrums behind the net, not to mention that second goal he'd realllllly like to have back. He definitely showed a lot of poise hanging in there when he wasn't having his best night and made some key stops in the third to keep the score where it was, but it looked like he was having a tough time mentally. Could be that there were some of his former NTDP people there, maybe the Yost environment was a challenge, who knows. He's so young that any number of things could have affected him. I think of it like a starting pitcher who doesn't have his best stuff on a night, makes a few mistakes, gets into a few jams, but battles for six innings and leaves his team with a one-run lead and in position to win. But it shows a lot of maturity and improvement that he hung in there against a offensively talented team on the road to earn the W and definitely should continue to be the primary #1 starter. That said, I still think he needs one game off this weekend for both scheduling and mental refresh purposes.
                I thought he looked pretty bad in the tie at NU and the loss at Michigan. Everything on net high on his stick side was going in. I don't know if that was a known weakness, but it is certainly known now. I assume he will get better with that.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                  I thought he looked pretty bad in the tie at NU and the loss at Michigan. Everything on net high on his stick side was going in. I don't know if that was a known weakness, but it is certainly known now. I assume he will get better with that.
                  I just rewatched the NU highlights, you're right on the high stick side shots, three of the four went in there. In fairness to him, the defenders left NU shooters wide open in high-percentage locations twice there.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                    Everything on net high on his stick side was going in. I don't know if that was a known weakness, but it is certainly known now. I assume he will get better with that.
                    That's the book on Oettinger right now. Most of the goals he allowed @ Denver, @ NU and @ Michigan high stick side. Positioning is an issue; he plays a bit too deep and despite his size, he leaves that corner exposed. If he comes out another 12-18 inches atop the crease he takes away that corner.

Comment

Looking at LaCouvee's stats against UConn makes me rethink that he should get a start this weekend. His numbers against UConn are terrible. Of the 26 games he has played a period or more they are the 3rd and 5th worst games and among those he started they are his worst 2 games. His stats for each game are worse than Oettinger's against Michigan on Friday.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

E-Rod recalled by Buffalo, should be in the line-up tonight.
                        https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabr...ew/c-283753632
                        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

LaCouvee gets the start tomorrow per BHB. Bomber must be smiling.

Comment

He better win!!! Mookie don't wanna drive sown there to see them poop the bed again
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                              LaCouvee gets the start tomorrow per BHB. Bomber must be smiling.
                              Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                              Looking at LaCouvee's stats against UConn makes me rethink that he should get a start this weekend. His numbers against UConn are terrible. Of the 26 games he has played a period or more they are the 3rd and 5th worst games and among those he started they are his worst 2 games. His stats for each game are worse than Oettinger's against Michigan on Friday.

Sean
                              I'm nervous....

Comment

Don't post "Bomber was right" all at once. You'll embarrass me.
                                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X