This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2016-17 Season Thread I: The Kids are Alright

On the one hand, getting a point on the road against the defending league champs should be a good thing.

On the other hand:
    - the opponent was missing two of their best players
    - I thought BU looked incredibly disjointed. I suppose NU deserves some credit for blocking the passing lanes, but it just didn't seem like BU ever got much flow going in 5 on 5.
    - What is the obsession over the past few years with the Power Play drop pass just before entering the zone? I've seen many teams try it, I don't like it. Maybe someone can explain why it is supposed to be so effective. What I see happening is that we keep doing it, and a good coach devises a play to totally disrupt it and get a scoring chance the other way (a la Jerry York vs. Jack Parker, Kevin Schaeffer to Brian Boyle in Worcester). I've seen the Bruins try it on occasion, but at their level, they are much less likely to panic and throw the pass into the abyss.
    - A real bonehead move by Greenway after scoring. No reason to do that. Thankfully, it didn't affect the manpower, but it certainly still might have affected the outcome of the game.

Hoping we see a more focused and effective team tomorrow night.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Puzzled by the fact that Chase Phelps hasn't played this year and now is healthy
      Have received nothing from Chabot and McDermott
      Surprised to see Kelly who has worked hard for four getting ice time late in 3rd period
      Very disappointing result considering both Stevens were out.

Comment

Defkit, i'm sure it wasn't greenway's fault

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Defkit, i'm sure it wasn't greenway's fault
          Well, the actual contact was created by the NU player on the bench reaching at Greenway. But in a rink where the BU bench was all the way on the other side of the ice, Greenway was clearly the initiator of the problem. I get that he was probably charged up as a result of all of the pushing and shoving in front of the net on multiple occasions. Of all the players on BU, he is the most likely to be in the NHL next year (perhaps along with McAvoy), so he'll need to show he has the maturity to handle it.

Glad to hear Quinn jumped on him for his actions.
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
            Well, the actual contact was created by the NU player on the bench reaching at Greenway. But in a rink where the BU bench was all the way on the other side of the ice, Greenway was clearly the initiator of the problem. I get that he was probably charged up as a result of all of the pushing and shoving in front of the net on multiple occasions. Of all the players on BU, he is the most likely to be in the NHL next year (perhaps along with McAvoy), so he'll need to show he has the maturity to handle it.

Greenway absolutely taunted and initiated it and deserved every second of the penalty. He lost his head and the team paid the price, Quinn would have every right to make him skate at 6 am today. If Jordan doesn't get someone ****ed at him during a game he's not doing his job, but he has to control his emotions and not go over the line to blatant taunting. That said, to call what the NU player on the bench doing as "reaching at" him is a stretch to say the least. He threw a punch and slashed him from the bench....and got nothing.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              Greenway absolutely taunted and initiated it and deserved every second of the penalty. He lost his head and the team paid the price, Quinn would have every right to make him skate at 6 am today. If Jordan doesn't get someone ****ed at him during a game he's not doing his job, but he has to control his emotions and not go over the line to blatant taunting. That said, to call what the NU player on the bench doing as "reaching at" him is a stretch to say the least. He threw a punch and slashed him from the bench....and got nothing.
              I thought during the game that part of the NU game plan was to get under Greenway's skin or counteract his physicality. Every whistle where Greenway was near the net he was being shoved/pushed/punched. The refs usually let this stuff go, but when it becomes excessive, at some point the refs need to call a penalty. Unfortunately, by the third period they did get underneath Greenway's skin and he started to push back more. He responded the right way (scoring a goal) then immediately responded the wrong way by being a bonehead and taunting the NU bench. The guy on the bench who got physical with Greenway should have been called as well.

Good for Quinn to call out Greenway after the game. He needs to control his emotions better so teams can't take it off his game. His physical presence is very valuable around the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                when it becomes excessive, at some point the refs need to call a penalty.
                Kind of ironic, huh? In a season where they are calling EVERYTHING.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  Kind of ironic, huh? In a season where they are calling EVERYTHING.
                  ...including penalties for fouls that exist only in someone's imagination.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

What a meh game except for seven minutes in the 2nd.

"The teams are ready..." oops. Again.
                    Maybe they could figure out the stars of the game?
                    Please kill the intro video. It's an embarrassment.

Those should be minor quibbles, but stacked on all the other atrocities Agganis subjects us to, it's just a real downer of an atmosphere, especially compared to Friday night. SMH.

At least Ryan Whitney did a fine job in between periods, I guess.
                    Go BU!

Comment

The intro video is not an embarrassment. Jeez. Not their best work, but an embarrassment? Hardly. Newer graphics showed up. The screw up with the Jim Prior tape = seriously. Figure that out. THAT is embarrassing. And the three stars thing - how do you screw that up??

Anyway, the game. Sucky first period. Seriously, I think that's the worst I've seen them play this season. Nice to see a little scoring explosion there in the second. And please tell me - how in the h-e-double hockey sticks does Oettinger's skate fall off? I don't understand. Bizarre.

Cloonan hurt (shoulder injury). I didn't see any post-game interviews - any news on Keller? He looked like he was in some pain. I'm concerned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        The intro video is not an embarrassment. Jeez. Not their best work, but an embarrassment? Hardly. Newer graphics showed up. The screw up with the Jim Prior tape = seriously. Figure that out. THAT is embarrassing. And the three stars thing - how do you screw that up??

Anyway, the game. Sucky first period. Seriously, I think that's the worst I've seen them play this season. Nice to see a little scoring explosion there in the second. And please tell me - how in the h-e-double hockey sticks does Oettinger's skate fall off? I don't understand. Bizarre.

Cloonan hurt (shoulder injury). I didn't see any post-game interviews - any news on Keller? He looked like he was in some pain. I'm concerned.
                        Nope. Intro video sucks. It accomplishes the opposite of its intent- buzzkill. Since I assume someone at BU or Agganis controls this, it is embarrassing.
                        Go BU!

Comment

I thought BU played a very good game tonight and handled NU's physical play well, unlike last night. Once BU scored the 2 quick goals in the second I think the Terriers were able to dictate play for much of the remainder of the game. It also helped that BU took only one penalty (late in the third) in the second and third periods.

The freshmen also continue to be the main scorers, scoring 6 of 7 goals on the weekend. They have now scored 15 goals in 7 games, good for a 2.14 gpg average, and accounting for 55.6% of the teams' goals. With Greeway scoring the other goal this weekend the sophomores have scored 8, accounting for another 29.6% of the teams' goals and boosting uderclassmen scoring to account for 85.2% of the teams' goals.

Sean
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Anyone else notice that they wished a happy birthday to Jakob Karlsson Forsbacka?
                            Oy.
                            Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              And please tell me - how in the h-e-double hockey sticks does Oettinger's skate fall off? I don't understand. Bizarre.
                              It happened last season to Maguire. LaCouvee also came on in relief in that game as well. Maybe ...

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Word I heard through the grapevine after the game is that Keller sustained an MCL injury after being injured early in the third and not coming back. He is expected out for approximately a month preliminarily.

Comment

Working...
                                X