X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2016-17 Season Thread I: The Kids are Alright

Originally posted by Tmtroiano View Post
    I guess I was looking for a bit more. If they have no Hockey East game why wouldn't they have scheduled a non league game? It just seems like a very odd time of year to have an off week.
    That's just how scheduling worked out this season, with NCAA limits and the extra exhibition game.
    Each team typically has a bye-week at some point during the season, excluding the long winter break (minus holiday tournaments/game or two other teams play).
    BU just happens to have a early bye-week this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
      That's just how scheduling worked out this season, with NCAA limits and the extra exhibition game.
      Each team typically has a bye-week at some point during the season, excluding the long winter break (minus holiday tournaments/game or two other teams play).
      OK. Got it. Thanks!
      Tom T.

Comment

I can't say I ever remember having a "bye week" during the season other than the winter break. This is a scheduling oddity for sure and not the norm.

Comment

Not true, I can't remember the last time BU had a full bye week outside of the December-January break period. It's highly unusual. I don't know why it happened this year, the only guess I have is that this was the weekend we were supposed to play at UMass and that got moved to Fenway, and we couldn't find a replacement in time.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            Not true, I can't remember the last time BU had a full bye week outside of the December-January break period. It's highly unusual. I don't know why it happened this year, the only guess I have is that this was the weekend we were supposed to play at UMass and that got moved to Fenway, and we couldn't find a replacement in time.
            Yeah, though we can't really have a replacement since there is a max number of games we can play in a season. Would've been nice to have that Union game this weekend though, to avoid losses to the WJC.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
              Parking is still free for BU games if you are willing to walk by T'Anthony's and down a couple blocks into Brookline. I've been parking there for 20 years. Of course, in the ridiculous rain Friday night, it would have been worth it to pay to be underneath.

Interesting comment about HAA being better at around 4,800 seats. I don't disagree, but it was clear the venue would be for more than BU sports. Remember when the original proposal was something like 11,000 seats? And Parker said No way!
              Just out of curiosity, what street do you park on? I used to park on one of the two streets after T Anthony's, but after getting a ticket for parking in that area more than 2 hours I stopped. Is that not being enforced anymore?

BU Alum '07

Comment

We also don't have a game Thanksgiving weekend either. Anything nefarious about that???

We have had full bye weeks in the past. They've been later in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by joen05 View Post
                  Just out of curiosity, what street do you park on? I used to park on one of the two streets after T Anthony's, but after getting a ticket for parking in that area more than 2 hours I stopped. Is that not being enforced anymore?
                  I usually park off of Babcock in Brookline, either the first street that winds around back to Comm Ave or the 2nd street where there's always parking. No time limit but can't leave your car overnight.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                    Yeah, though we can't really have a replacement since there is a max number of games we can play in a season. Would've been nice to have that Union game this weekend though, to avoid losses to the WJC.
                    I'm not a fan of this "maximum number of games".
                    Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Originally posted by wysi View Post
                      I'm not a fan of this "maximum number of games".
                      Cool. I wouldn't mind if you guys played l100 games before we meet you in January. Heck, play 2 or 3 per day... all the better.
                      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        I usually park off of Babcock in Brookline, either the first street that winds around back to Comm Ave or the 2nd street where there's always parking. No time limit but can't leave your car overnight.
                        Yeah - I just go down Babcock until spots appear. Never gotten a ticket as long as I get out that night.
                        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          Technically parking rules back there in Brookline are two hours max but if you get one they're easy as pie to contest. You "left in the middle of that time and came back to park in the same spot."
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                            I can't say I ever remember having a "bye week" during the season other than the winter break. This is a scheduling oddity for sure and not the norm.
                            Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            We also don't have a game Thanksgiving weekend either. Anything nefarious about that???

We have had full bye weeks in the past. They've been later in the year.
                            The last time BU had a break longer than 10 days during the regular season outside of the semster/Christmas break was back in 1994-95. They played their preseason exhibition game game vs New Brunswick on 15 October and then opened the season at Rensselaer on 28 October. That was 12 days between games, but was before the regular season started. The last time BU had a break longer than 10 days between regular season games (outside of the normal break) was during the 1966-67 season. They played a game vs Clarkson at Boston Arena on 7 January and then had 19 days off before playing at Denver on 27 Janaury.

So, yes, the breaks this weekend and again after Thanksgiving are unprecedented for BU. However, in looking at the past several seasons' schedules it appears that the reason they have 2 open weekends this season is that they only have one weekend with a single game, 28 January vs UML (I counted the Beanpot games as part of the weekend). Last season BU had 4 weekends with a single game and from 2011-12 through 2014-15 they had 6 each season.

Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

So, yes, the breaks this weekend and again after Thanksgiving are unprecedented for BU. However, in looking at the past several seasons' schedules it appears that the reason they have 2 open weekends this season is that they only have one weekend with a single game, 28 January vs UML (I counted the Beanpot games as part of the weekend). Last season BU had 4 weekends with a single game and from 2011-12 through 2014-15 they had 6 each season.

Sean
                              Perhaps I am giving Quinn too much credit, but perhaps he is trying to get the team better suited for the post season schedule. What I mean is that you are always playing two games in a weekend and you have an 11-12 day break between the regionals and Frozen Four.

Comment

• Originally posted by kbz View Post
                                Perhaps I am giving Quinn too much credit, but perhaps he is trying to get the team better suited for the post season schedule. What I mean is that you are always playing two games in a weekend and you have an 11-12 day break between the regionals and Frozen Four.
                                I think you're giving him too much credit. IIRC BU was originally supposed to play an away game vs a HE team this weekend, but it was moved and not by BU.

Comment

Working...
                                X