Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
    Yes, the d was not at all what we need but i agree that at least 2 goals should have been saves. 2 shots and a goal, 4/5 shots and 2 goals. I have seen him stand on his head and impress but last night was not his night.
    And there was definitely more than 1000 there last night. i would have said 2,220 at least. The student section was the biggest disapointment as they are the only ones who really carry the noise level. All us old fans are just to quiet. Yeah, all of us.
    You're probably right. I could never count the M&M's in the jar for a prize, either! That stated, the sad thing is that we are debating whether the place was 16% or 33% full. Ugh.

Here are some numbers to consider....

Freshmen and Sophomores had 17 shots and a +/- of -7. And they had the only goal-scorer.

Juniors and Seniors took 16 shots and had a +/- of -17.

I understand that much of this may come from how the lines matched up, but it's not like the underclassmen were uninvolved or an huge drag on performance. Was glad to see Wyse, BvR, Blackburn, et al see decent time out there.
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

As far as the PP - perhaps what they needed was a slick-mitted play maker capable of setting up some chances and who has excelled on the PP at every level. Unfortunately they left one in the cheap seats...

Unless McNicholas and Hill are injured they are absolutely among the 12 best forwards on this roster. There are energy guys being given chances over Hill because of some perceived offensive ability that has never actually translated to scoring in games. Hill is perfect in that energy/hustle role. McNicholas is skilled and talented offensively - but constantly overlooked because Umile would prefer his forwards accrued their minuses by being "defensively responsible", and heaven forbid, because they were caught creating legit scoring chances...

If I'm McNicholas and I don't see the ice soon - while being passed over by some of the players who were given scoring roles yesterday - I'm seriously thinking about transferring before my entire career is wasted like the last two seasons were...
      Last edited by Dan; 10-09-2016, 11:09 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Four goals against on 20 shots - and as usually, soft goals at the worst times, immediately after UNH goals and against the run of play. This is not an issue of one game, this is an ongoing and consistent problem. At least two of the goals yesterday were charmin soft and I'd lean more toward agreeing with wildcatdc on this issue.

Here's the problem with Tirone - he's too small and simply not positionally sound nor quick enough to make up for it. So you have numerous goals where he is way out of position or where he simply gets beat because he can't fill the net in addition to the softies. It's as if all the coaches notice in practice are the acrobatic saves and aren't paying attention to how many actually go in...

Watch him in warm ups - he is beaten over 50 percent of the time on shot attempts because he is so small and doesn't react well enough to make up for it.

Everyone blamed the D all of last year too - well, even the best defenses make mistakes. Fortunately for them every single mistake they make doesn't end up in the back of the net. I would argue the defense makes a lot of mistakes trying to do to much because they know what happens if they're not at their best all the time...

But, OK, let's blame the defense - doing so only reaffirms the fact that Clark deserves to be the #1. If the defense is going to make mistakes and give up clean looks wouldn't the team be better served by a big goalie who fills the net? Clark will give opponents much less to shoot at, stopping pucks by just getting in front of them and forcing shots high or wide by presenting less of an opening. The defense could make some mistakes and not have to pay every time, resulting in a more confident group.

Tirone's tendency to give up momentum changing goals are only one of the reasons for his struggles.

Umile has said this would be an open competition - and of course he gave Tirone the first chance. He has always gotten the benefit of he doubt. However, Clark deserves to rotate at worst immediately and if it plays out like it did last season when he finally got his chance he should play every night for the foreseeable future. Tirone has done nothing - in games - to have earned a long leash or any more than half the playing time, if that...
        All valid points here Dan...I hope that Clarky will get his chance this weekend...remembering last season when he was so stellar at Union after the UMass debacle, unfortunately he was injured in that game and the rest is, well, history. You can't pin it on DT, or the defense, but something does have to give. I know what it's like as a coach to continue to play a player (and no I am not trying to get inside DU's head here) past when you should. And I bet a lot of coaches get caught in that mode coz we care so much about the player and how it's gonna feel to get benched. But the welfare of the team is what is at stake ultimately. Maybe it's just too early to tell (see, the vacillation, argh!) but the proof will be in the results...Who knows? Maybe Clarky didn't have a great week of practice...isn't that what we've heard how the starting roles are determined? Platoon the keepers...what is there to lose. I agree with Chuck, these games this weekend are winnable...
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          All valid points here Dan...I hope that Clarky will get his chance this weekend...remembering last season when he was so stellar at Union after the UMass debacle, unfortunately he was injured in that game and the rest is, well, history. You can't pin it on DT, or the defense, but something does have to give. I know what it's like as a coach to continue to play a player (and no I am not trying to get inside DU's head here) past when you should. And I bet a lot of coaches get caught in that mode coz we care so much about the player and how it's gonna feel to get benched. But the welfare of the team is what is at stake ultimately. Maybe it's just too early to tell (see, the vacillation, argh!) but the proof will be in the results...Who knows? Maybe Clarky didn't have a great week of practice...isn't that what we've heard how the starting roles are determined? Platoon the keepers...what is there to lose. I agree with Chuck, these games this weekend are winnable...
          Minor correction to be made here. Clark won in Union, started the next game in Merrimack, won that game and took the injury there. The Merrimack game was the one and only game I saw him play in last year (aside from maybe the exhibition, I forget) and he was worlds better on his post to post speed. I think he learned a lot from attending Calgary Flames development camp that year. I think we are getting to the point of all our gripes about the goaltending situation. Tirone was given the first chance, he did not have a good game, now it needs to be Clark's turn. If Clark succeeds then let him have the full weekend and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
            Minor correction to be made here. Clark won in Union, started the next game in Merrimack, won that game and took the injury there. The Merrimack game was the one and only game I saw him play in last year (aside from maybe the exhibition, I forget) and he was worlds better on his post to post speed. I think he learned a lot from attending Calgary Flames development camp that year. I think we are getting to the point of all our gripes about the goaltending situation. Tirone was given the first chance, he did not have a good game, now it needs to be Clark's turn. If Clark succeeds then let him have the full weekend and go from there.
            Oh, that's right...I had forgotten about the 'Mack game! Well, I imagine a lot of work is being done this week and surely the team knows it wasn't at it's best. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out. Anyone heading up/over there? Was thinking about it but too much ahead of me to make that trip. Will watch the live feeds understand they are free??
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/.../cogoalies.php

We are talking about the 10+ ranked HEA goaltender here, not DiGi who was 2/3. The 3rd goal Saturday would have hit Clark in the shoulder, if not hip.
              Last edited by Darius; 10-10-2016, 10:15 AM.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                I like your point 5, e cat, probably an attempt to even things up for Argue kicking his right post of its peg, three times within a couple of minutes, if I counted correctly (I agree with Darius and HR in this observation). But, that is a tough one for the refs to call on a scissor-style goalie.

In contrast, Bentley fans were furious when Tony Quesada from Holy Cross did that with his shoulder (under the cross bar and lift up, so obvious) at least three times to stymie the Falcons to win the AHA tourney championship game at Hart about a decade ago. IIRC, that was the year that the Crusaders went on to the West Regionals in Grand Forks to knock off the Gophers in the first round. Of course, the Crusaders had better than a home crowd behind them with the Nodak fans. The #4 seed Crusaders from the AHA beating the number #1 seed Gophers remains more amazing than #4 seed RIT knocking off #3 UNH in the Albany regionals, I think.

Thanks for the kudos on my previous post, Chuck; that means a lot to me. I am relieved that I will not need to split partisanship the rest of this season. I think that if the Cats can tighten up their D in front of whichever goalie is in net, they should be able get 15 wins this season.
                Good to see you, Ref, DC and Aerman at the game. At least we got a couple of laughs in to lighten things up!

I thought Bentley looked pretty good. UNH not so much.
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  I was there. They claimed an attendance of 3,160. You're not saying BS35+4 would fudge the numbers, are you?
                  I'd say there were about 300 students, maybe, maybe 2,000 in the rest of the arena. I said to my friends yesterday that I remembered my first UNH game, way back in December, 1970. Being from Boston, I had been a college hockey fan and had gone to Boston Arena games to see BU and Northeastern, had already been to four Beanpots and a couple of ECACs. But walking into Snively that first time was a revelation. Now it was easy for the fans to go crazy because UNH beat Army 15-6 (!?!). But the crowd was right on top of the ice, it was going crazy and the noise didn't stop the whole night. Needless to say I was hooked.

Now contrast that to last night. Suppose you were a new UNH freshman, someone who had heard of the Whit, the crowds, the goals. He walks in last night a half hour before the game and there is basically no one there except the students. The game starts in its like a morgue. The team plays like they are part of a funeral procession. And then a fire alarm goes off. You only get one chance to make a first impression. Ya think he's going back?

Comment

The game was painful to watch. Remember that we lost to Bentley, a team that finished eighth in Atlantic Hockey. While UNH got off to a decent start, and threw a lot of shots on net, maybe one of them was a Grade A opportunity. When they couldn't muster any real offense on the first 5-on-3 I had a feeling that things would turn. This team, the d and the o, is mediocre at best. Teams like this, ones who are going to lean heavily on inexperienced underclassmen, especially freshmen, need their goalie to prop them up. Tirone does not do that, ever. While the giveaway in the defensive zone was inexcusable, the shot it generated was savable. The one that got by him in the third was inexcusable. Tirone has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is no more than an average D1 goalie. He's too small, his glove is slow, and he flops and has difficulty getting back up. Time for Clark. I was at the Union game last year when he showed he could make all the regular saves, steer the puck to the corner, and give confidence to his teammates. He should start, and continue to start, until he proves he is not capable.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      The game was painful to watch. Remember that we lost to Bentley, a team that finished eighth in Atlantic Hockey. While UNH got off to a decent start, and threw a lot of shots on net, maybe one of them was a Grade A opportunity. When they couldn't muster any real offense on the first 5-on-3 I had a feeling that things would turn. This team, the d and the o, is mediocre at best. Teams like this, ones who are going to lean heavily on inexperienced underclassmen, especially freshmen, need their goalie to prop them up. Tirone does not do that, ever. While the giveaway in the defensive zone was inexcusable, the shot it generated was savable. The one that got by him in the third was inexcusable. Tirone has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is no more than an average D1 goalie. He's too small, his glove is slow, and he flops and has difficulty getting back up. Time for Clark. I was at the Union game last year when he showed he could make all the regular saves, steer the puck to the corner, and give confidence to his teammates. He should start, and continue to start, until he proves he is not capable.
                      Greg
                      Yes, Yes and Yes!
                      We all talk about recruits and needing quality. When they come to the Whitt now they will see and feel nothing. Okay, it is what it is and the complaints will continue as perhaps they should. But as a fan of UNH Hockey we have a responsibility to control what we can control - the atmosphere of the Whitt.
                      Few stood (as few attended) as the team entered or left the ice. Sure we were disappointed and I felt sick at the outcome Saturday, but stand we must or we are contributing to the only think that we can control and that is the energy in the room. Sure it is best when they provide it, but true fans support and encourage. Complain about the coaching, recruiting and the AD but support the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        I'd say there were about 300 students, maybe, maybe 2,000 in the rest of the arena. I said to my friends yesterday that I remembered my first UNH game, way back in December, 1970. Being from Boston, I had been a college hockey fan and had gone to Boston Arena games to see BU and Northeastern, had already been to four Beanpots and a couple of ECACs. But walking into Snively that first time was a revelation. Now it was easy for the fans to go crazy because UNH beat Army 15-6 (!?!). But the crowd was right on top of the ice, it was going crazy and the noise didn't stop the whole night. Needless to say I was hooked.

Now contrast that to last night. Suppose you were a new UNH freshman, someone who had heard of the Whit, the crowds, the goals. He walks in last night a half hour before the game and there is basically no one there except the students. The game starts in its like a morgue. The team plays like they are part of a funeral procession. And then a fire alarm goes off. You only get one chance to make a first impression. Ya think he's going back?
                        Now imagine you are a UNH recruit. It's a VICIOUS cycle.
                        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Oh, that's right...I had forgotten about the 'Mack game! Well, I imagine a lot of work is being done this week and surely the team knows it wasn't at it's best. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out. Anyone heading up/over there? Was thinking about it but too much ahead of me to make that trip. Will watch the live feeds understand they are free??
                          From what I am seeing the Clarkson stream appears to be free and the SLU is $8.

Comment

Saints stream is also free when it's live -----It's the archives that cost $8.00
                            Welcome to Appleton
                            brashersaintsfan

Comment

Good to know, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                                Now imagine you are a UNH recruit. It's a VICIOUS cycle.
                                I was going to say we have a "chicken or the egg" thing going on, but vicious cycle is just as descriptive.
                                BINGO!

Comment

Working...
                                X