Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
    Chatting with some CC fans/parents last night, there was clear agreement that we were watching a cup cake tilt.

I offered that playing us after BC must be like a get out of jail card. They agreed. I mentioned having to play BC twice every year. They responded with CC having to play North Dakota four times every year.
    One difference between these two cup cakes is that 4C's actually has some hardware, albeit quite old.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      You left out one level above Dickie. The women are 1-6, so Marty's seamless transition plans are stupendous.
      Not a great argument with the women. We know the issues with the men's program, but the women are a lot better this year with good recruiting classes on the way, including this years freshman class. The women's record is deceiving, they've played 6 of their first 7 games against top 10 teams in the country (not Bentley and CC) and have been competitive and in every game going into the third. They are much further along in the rebuild.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Originally posted by CatsFan1983 View Post
        Not a great argument with the women. We know the issues with the men's program, but the women are a lot better this year with good recruiting classes on the way, including this years freshman class. The women's record is deceiving, they've played 6 of their first 7 games against top 10 teams in the country (not Bentley and CC) and have been competitive and in every game going into the third. They are much further along in the rebuild.
        Agreed, having watched 5-7 womens games the last 4 seasons and 2 so far this year, their rebuild is much further along. The record isn't there yet but they appear to be on the way out of the hole and the mens team may not have even reached the bottom yet. We shall see though.

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
          “It’s pathetic,” said UNH coach Dick Umile.

Foster's
          Originally posted by skyraider0609 View Post
          What could Dickie be referring to? Last night's attendance? Recruiting? The program's competitive level? There are so many possibilities.
          http://www.seacoastonline.com/sports...nh-mens-hockey

Take your pick. Actually, Coach's quote was preceded by the writer's following observation, which provides the only context on what the "pathetic" comment was directed towards:

In the first 240 minutes of the season, the Wildcats have led for only 99 seconds.

Coach was not exactly expansive in his quoted assessments of the game (I think sonar quoted the whole thing actually), but you've gotta think he's starting to feel the heat, and his impatience for a quick start for his troops this season may be wearing thin quickly.

I did find the following player quote interesting and insightful though ...

It’s definitely not what we wanted,” Salvaggio said. “Next game we’ve got to come out jumping. We’ve got to get the first one. No more excuses. Playing from behind is tough. We need the lead.

Hmmm ... play with a lead ... important ... no mention of SOG's ... sounds familiar ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Once again, it's time ... from WIS Productions, here's the latest chapter of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 572
            Wins Remaining to the next round number: 28
            *Games Remaining (Next 2 Seasons - Min.): 68
            Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: approx. 41%
            WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 75%
            2016/2017 Cupcake Quotient to Date: 0/2 (0%)

After an uplifting come-from-behind win over Clarkson to close out the previous weekend in the North Country, there was reason for optimism as the 1-4-0 Colorado College Tigers traveled to Durham, with the 'Cats looking to be good value for a win to even up their record at 2-2-0. But not so quick ... two early SHG's by the visitors against G Dan ("Mr. Hyde") Tirone and his inexperienced teammates put UNH behind the figurative 8-ball, and although the hosts would eventually draw even in the 2nd period, the Tigers would get a 3rd period winner, sending the 'Cats to a second straight loss to a fellow cupcake to get the season off to an increasingly ominous start. And while on the subject of "ominous" and "starts" ... rumors of an aggravation of G Adam Clark's shoulder injury seem to have been overstated, and WIS observers fully expect Clark will get another start in goal for the 'Cats next weekend, as Coach Umile continues to search for salvation between the pipes. Also, the returns to the line-up of Hill and McNicholas was a silver lining and offers reason for hope, and while no explanations have been offered as to the reason(s) for their absences ... anything that unlinks the terms "Dylan Chanter" and "fourth line center" needs no further explanation to this corner.

Looking at the big picture ... WIS experts had projected Coach Umile's Wildcats would amass at least 10 wins in the opening 18 game stretch of the season, until the calendar changes to 2017. WIS is reviewing its position on this projection. The road win against non-cupcake Clarkson arguably made up lost ground squandered against the Fightin' Beancounters in the season opener, but this past weekend's home loss to the Paper Tigers gave it right back, and caused concerns in this corner about whether the 10 win projection is still attainable. Four (4) straight cupcakes loom just over the horizon for the next two weekends, and with 3 of those games at home, these shape up as pivotal games on whether Coach's quest for the next round number remains on course and viable.

Given concerns about an early inability to devour home cupcakes, WIS has slightly downgraded Coach Umile's chances for success in his quest to what is still a robust 75% likelihood, since Coach has historically won well over 40% of his games. As mentioned in this space last weekend ... so long as this year's team meets modest expectations for 15 wins, you gotta believe BS35+4 and Coach will put together an NC schedule for next season that makes this year's NC schedule look like the highway to he11 - or perhaps even apply for temporary AHA membership? The quest though remains in the balance, and WIS is watching extra closely over these next two weekends, when the parade of cupcakes begins in earnest.

Predictions:

Friday: UNH 3 @ UMass 1
            Saturday: UNH 4 Merrimack 3 (OT)

NEXT CUPCAKES ON THE SHELF: 11/4/16 @ home vs. Sacred Heart; 11/5/16 @ home vs. Mercyhurst

IS BS35+4 PAYING ATTENTION YET?

Doubtful. UNH Football bounced back with a key win against Towson State this weekend, moving the Football 'Cats to a 5-3-0 record, where 2 wins in their last 3 games probably gets UNH back in the D-2 tourney (this is a recording). I'm sure the voluminous paperwork for hosting D-2 playoff games is all but completed and ready for submission at the opportune moment. Otherwise, this is a time of year for family, and with the NHIAA beginning its Fall postseason tourney slate this coming week, two D-2 programs near and dear to his heart look to be in the thick of things at least for another week, if not two. This past weekend was probably a nice opportunity to catch up with old friends from Colorado College, no doubt, and reminisce about the good ol' days when BS35+4 was known to his CC pals as a much more modest BS20+2. It's possible they never even bothered to catch the game at The Whitt, and even if they did, our boy probably thinks CC is still a national D-1 power like they were during his time out there during the Coach Lucia and Coach Owens eras.

* - minimum games remaining assumes 34 regular season games, and at least 2 games in the MBPBEGAM "playoffs"
            Last edited by Chuck Murray; 10-23-2016, 02:44 PM.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

With apologies to C Dickens, WIS prediction for next weekend sounds like Great Expectations. But, who cares about OOC cupcakes, DU has his eye on the ball, err, HEA teams; 4 points next weekend would put us in at least a tie for first place.
              Last edited by Snively65; 10-23-2016, 05:07 PM.

Comment

"Colorado College Beats UNH for First Time Since '97"
                by Ben Nawn
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Agree with Snively - Wishful thinking, re: next weekend's "cupcakes". UMass at least beat CC, and we all painfully remember last season's wretched ending at Merrimack.

UMass 3 - UNH 3
                  MC 5 - UNH 4 (OT)

We'll "probably" redeem ourselves with Sacred Heart and Mercyhurst.
                  UNH

Comment

Anyone find it weird that on the same night the Cubs clinched a World Series date with the Indians, CC and UNH were matched up on the ice?

If anything, maybe it is a reason to be hopeful?
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I think its only fair to also track Dick's "Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 400" career losses!

He has approx. 340 in his career. With 68 games left by Chuck's calculations, that means he goes 8-60 the rest of the way.

Hmmm....that's doable!
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        UMass 3 - UNH 3
                        I think you can expect to beat UMass. Let's put it this way...if you don't...it is not going to be a very pleasant season...

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                          The loss in 1997 was in the first round of the NCAA regionals in Worcester. I believe the score was 3-2. That UNH team had won 14 consecutive games in November and December that year. The roster included the likes of Eric Boguniecki, Mark Mowers, and Jason Krog. This is how far we have fallen in 20 years.

Things are not going to get better any time soon. We are watching a reprise of the mid-1980's where a coach on the cusp of retirement has farmed out coaching and recruiting responsibilities to his assistants. They recruit a few outstanding players who, in the 80's, stayed for a couple of years then left or, now, are deferred and decide that UNH doesn't want them and go elsewhere. Before you know it, the cupboard is bare. I don't have a clue about what goes on behind the scenes, in the locker room or at practice. But I can tell you that the optic of a lifeless bench, both players and coaches, is not a good one.

The game the other night was gone once the #1 goalie gave up two consecutive shorthanded goals on the first two shots of the game. Regardless of the comeback UNH made in the second, the fact is that the #1 goalie put them in a hole that they could not ultimately get out of. Time to try #2.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            Anyone find it weird that on the same night the Cubs clinched a World Series date with the Indians, CC and UNH were matched up on the ice?

If anything, maybe it is a reason to be hopeful?
                            That is an interesting, and fitting, comparison.

Now we just need our Hockey Theo.
                            I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                            How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              The loss in 1997 was in the first round of the NCAA regionals in Worcester. I believe the score was 3-2. That UNH team had won 14 consecutive games in November and December that year. The roster included the likes of Eric Boguniecki, Mark Mowers, and Jason Krog. This is how far we have fallen in 20 years.

Things are not going to get better any time soon. We are watching a reprise of the mid-1980's where a coach on the cusp of retirement has farmed out coaching and recruiting responsibilities to his assistants. They recruit a few outstanding players who, in the 80's, stayed for a couple of years then left or, now, are deferred and decide that UNH doesn't want them and go elsewhere. Before you know it, the cupboard is bare. I don't have a clue about what goes on behind the scenes, in the locker room or at practice. But I can tell you that the optic of a lifeless bench, both players and coaches, is not a good one.

The game the other night was gone once the #1 goalie gave up two consecutive shorthanded goals on the first two shots of the game. Regardless of the comeback UNH made in the second, the fact is that the #1 goalie put them in a hole that they could not ultimately get out of. Time to try #2.
                              Man, what a sad state of affairs; I guess all anyone who cares enough can choose to either support who's on the ice, or not. Not that they are not beyond reproach because that's part of the fan thing; we have our opinions on how the team does and that's not going to change now. Still the present team deserves that much and I'm glad fans that have been with the team (like you) still are attending games. No judgement on those who are taking a pass for now; it's a personal choice and I'm sure a hard one to make after years of loyalty. I have to believe that those young men are doing the best they can AND while its darned exasperating at times, it's still UNH hockey. You guys have the hindsight of what was but I still managed to catch a glimpse to stay with it. Clap, clap, clap...

That is where we are right here and now, I mean, isn't it? One can only hope that the powers that be will do the right thing before it all goes south. If they can't see it, that's beyond pathetic. So please keep showing up; I'm sure the empty seats aren't lost on the guys on the ice. You mention the great ones in your post; Mark Mowers, etc. There IS a great one on the ice, right now, and that's Tyler Kelleher. He will leave a legacy just for being on the "100 club", but that ain't all. I'm glad to say I followed him all 4 years; it's been worth it.
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Man, what a sad state of affairs; I guess all anyone who cares enough can choose to either support who's on the ice, or not. Not that they are not beyond reproach because that's part of the fan thing; we have our opinions on how the team does and that's not going to change now.
                                marty.scarano@unh.edu

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                There IS a great one on the ice, right now, and that's Tyler Kelleher. He will leave a legacy just for being on the "100 club", but that ain't all. I'm glad to say I followed him all 4 years; it's been worth it.
                                He's been amazing this year, lugging & chasing the puck from the neutral zone where he rarely gets a clear pass in stride.
                                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 10-24-2016, 01:30 PM.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X