Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ECAC West is rebranding (and kicking out the Women's SUNY Teams)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECAC West is rebranding (and kicking out the Women's SUNY Teams)

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Don't want to leave it to the smoke filled room.
    If Plattsburgh's conference loses the AQ but they keep playing like they have over the last 7 or so years the committee would have to be smoking something pretty special to leave them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      If Plattsburgh's conference loses the AQ but they keep playing like they have over the last 7 or so years the committee would have to be smoking something pretty special to leave them out.
      CHC was going to get the AQ next season, but it is PFFT! now. They can restart by poaching from the NEHC.

Platty will be Ok and the SUNY will keep its AQ with Canton and Morrisville.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
        It does not appear as though the ECAC has anything to do with this change!? There is nothing on their website even referencing this change. Does this mean that the ECAC will no longer have any presence in Men's D3 hockey?

How do you split an 11-team league into divisions?
        The title of this thread is a misnomer.

Eleven teams are leaving the ECAC West to form the UCHC. There is no "rebranding."

Which technically means the five SUNY teams are still in the ECAC West...
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          The title of this thread is a misnomer.

Eleven teams are leaving the ECAC West to form the UCHC. There is no "rebranding."

Which technically means the five SUNY teams are still in the ECAC West...
          On the men's side it has the appearance of a rebranding, with a bit more complexity under the hood.

On the women's side, whether it's kicking the SUNYs out or packing their bags to go play in their own sandbox, it's still the Schools that are in the ECAC-W on both sides saying "screw you" to the public schools (mostly Plattsburgh, I'm sure)
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

From what I have heard over time, the ECAC had gotten to the point where it was not only expensive, but also too rigid in it's structure.
            Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
              On the men's side it has the appearance of a rebranding, with a bit more complexity under the hood.

On the women's side, whether it's kicking the SUNYs out or packing their bags to go play in their own sandbox, it's still the Schools that are in the ECAC-W on both sides saying "screw you" to the public schools (mostly Plattsburgh, I'm sure)
              A bit paranoid, aren't we...?

Like jerrynu26 said, D3 schools across the board are abandoning the ECAC. This attitude has been in the making for many, many years, long before any changes were implemented.

For said schools to leave the ECAC West (it's NOT a rebranding) and form their own league, it didn't make much sense to have the men's UCHC look so much different than the women's UCHC, so by default that essentially excluded the SUNY schools.

If the SUNY schools wanted to, they could stay in the ECAC West with no autobid, while trying to convince two other schools to join. Or, they could try to convince the SUNYAC to run a women's conference even without the seven teams for an AQ. And of course, in the meantime, try to get Canton and Morrisville to move in with them.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                (it's NOT a rebranding)
                Seems similar to MAAC -> Atlantic Hockey, to me. Which technically wasn't a rebranding, either, but has the same effect in the public mind.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  CHC was going to get the AQ next season, but it is PFFT! now. They can restart by poaching from the NEHC.

Platty will be Ok and the SUNY will keep its AQ with Canton and Morrisville.
                  The Colonial will still have seven teams next year even with the loss of Stevenson and DWC. Nichols is joining the Colonial for 2017-18.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    The Colonial will still have seven teams next year even with the loss of Stevenson and DWC. Nichols is joining the Colonial for 2017-18.
                    But it isn't the same seven schools they started with, which fails to meet the "core membership" requirement for an initial auto bid. I think the clock has to start over for them, even so, I don't think they want to let Canton and Morrisville go without a fight.
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      But it isn't the same seven schools they started with, which fails to meet the "core membership" requirement for an initial auto bid. I think the clock has to start over for them, even so, I don't think they want to let Canton and Morrisville go without a fight.
                      Yes but someone can correct me if I'm wrong, their clock started last year when they had eight teams. This year is year two, and it's just like the ECAC West situation where they would have a grace period to add teams back, which they are doing with Nichols. The only difference with the ECAC West is that they don't have an AQ established yet. I'm 98 percent sure the Colonial gets an AQ next year.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

I believe it's 5 core schools. If the current CHC has 5 schools sticking around to next year, then the AQ kicks in.

If they drop below 7 after that, they have 2 years to get back to 7 before they lose the AQ.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I thought the "core" had to be 7, but I've been wrong before, and I'll probably be wrong again.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                            I thought the "core" had to be 7, but I've been wrong before, and I'll probably be wrong again.
                            I do recall some precedent for a grace period whereby the league could drop below seven members temporarily.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Where the heck will Canton end up??
                              (Men)
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                                I do recall some precedent for a grace period whereby the league could drop below seven members temporarily.

Powers &8^]
                                Does the grace period apply to waiting period conferences or only to conferences already granted the autobid? Isn't the whole point of a waiting period to see if things like this happen so you don't have a situation where they need grace this early in their existence?
                                Last edited by Scott_TG; 10-07-2016, 10:09 AM. Reason: I used the word "teams" when I meant "conferences"

Comment

Working...
                                X