PDA

View Full Version : 2016/2016 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

UVM Cat in Texas
11-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Fun game to be at last night. There could be four AE teams (as of now) in the NCAA Tournament. The fact that the winner of the regular season can't is just horrid. So proud of the seniors, and what they sacrificed to get to this point. They knew all along they'd never have a shot to go further, and they still stuck it out. The next generation of Lowell soccer players has a goal to reach now thanks to these four players.

If everyone returns (read: No Transfers Out!), and the incoming recruits can play at this level, this could be more than a one-season thing.
Why can't they go to the NCAA tournament?

UMLFan
11-03-2016, 02:03 PM
Why can't they go to the NCAA tournament?
The transition to DI requires a 4 year wait, basically the NCAA wants to make sure that this is "right for you." Lowell could chose one program that only had a two year wait, and they chose their DII powerhouse Field Hockey Team, which was probably the right decision. Just sucks for these kids.

Patman
11-03-2016, 03:20 PM
Fun game to be at last night. There could be four AE teams (as of now) in the NCAA Tournament. The fact that the winner of the regular season can't is just horrid. So proud of the seniors, and what they sacrificed to get to this point. They knew all along they'd never have a shot to go further, and they still stuck it out. The next generation of Lowell soccer players has a goal to reach now thanks to these four players.

If everyone returns (read: No Transfers Out!), and the incoming recruits can play at this level, this could be more than a one-season thing.

This is the down side of these sports... you can transfer and be immediately eligible.

Transfer penalties are only for football, basketball, and mens(?) ice hockey... not sure if it's only men's or not

Edit: it's more that they don't want schools to move up for one year and try their luck at winning

UVM Cat in Texas
11-03-2016, 05:07 PM
The transition to DI requires a 4 year wait, basically the NCAA wants to make sure that this is "right for you." Lowell could chose one program that only had a two year wait, and they chose their DII powerhouse Field Hockey Team, which was probably the right decision. Just sucks for these kids.
Wow, that does suck. So, the seniors on the team that you speak of were basically recruited by Lowell to play D2 soccer? If so, kudos to them for excelling to this extent at D1. Very impressive!

UMLFan
11-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Wow, that does suck. So, the seniors on the team that you speak of were basically recruited by Lowell to play D2 soccer? If so, kudos to them for excelling to this extent at D1. Very impressive!
No, this is the first ever class that was a D1 class. They committed to the school and program knowing that they'd play D1 all four years, but never have a chance to play past the regular season. This current Junior Class knew they'd only have one year ... so at least they knew they'd have one chance.

riverchief1
11-03-2016, 05:50 PM

Caught the last few minutes, great to see. Not bad for a team that was picked to finish dead last in the conference pre-season and finish first with 13-1-2 record and a current national rank of 13th (and an RPI of 4 with only Clemson, Maryland, and Washington ahead of them).

leswp1
11-03-2016, 06:01 PM
This is the down side of these sports... you can transfer and be immediately eligible.

Transfer penalties are only for football, basketball, and mens(?) ice hockey... not sure if it's only men's or not

Edit: it's more that they don't want schools to move up for one year and try their luck at winning
DI schools get a piece of the financial pie. From what i understand the penalty of having to wait is to deter programs from moving up for financial gain.

Sean Pickett
11-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Lowell could chose one program that only had a two year wait, and they chose their DII powerhouse Field Hockey Team, which was probably the right decision.How has the team done since moving up?

Sean

UMLFan
11-03-2016, 06:59 PM
How has the team done since moving up?

Sean
I think (I don't follow closely, so I'm speculating) they've not done as well as they wanted. They made the AE Conference Tournament for the first time ever this year. They just lost today in the quarterfinals to #13 Stanford (yeah, they're in AE) 3-2, on a goal with 3 left. They're heading in the right direction at least.

UML Puck Hawk
11-03-2016, 08:51 PM
I think (I don't follow closely, so I'm speculating) they've not done as well as they wanted. They made the AE Conference Tournament for the first time ever this year. They just lost today in the quarterfinals to #13 Stanford (yeah, they're in AE) 3-2, on a goal with 3 left. They're heading in the right direction at least.

I think its worth noting the program that was allowed to play postseason early had to be one of the womens programs (title IX) to make up for Lowell hockey being D1.

leswp1
11-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Last yr the Mens XC won the conference Championship but people can move forward even if they won so they could participate. THey just couldn't go to the Regionals

Patman
11-04-2016, 10:19 AM
No, this is the first ever class that was a D1 class. They committed to the school and program knowing that they'd play D1 all four years, but never have a chance to play past the regular season. This current Junior Class knew they'd only have one year ... so at least they knew they'd have one chance.

No they were recruited to play div 2. The announcement wasn't until may the summer before freshman year

Patman
11-04-2016, 10:23 AM
I think its worth noting the program that was allowed to play postseason early had to be one of the womens programs (title IX) to make up for Lowell hockey being D1.

I think you're allowed one not basketball for each gender but we already have ice hockey

UML Puck Hawk
11-04-2016, 12:01 PM
I think you're allowed one not basketball for each gender but we already have ice hockey

On the basketball message board I said something similar but was corrected. I guess most schools have to have all sports wait 4 years, Lowell was a special case because of hockey plus title IX. Never really dug into it personally.

Leecoffee9
11-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Wall in tonight?
Looking for a big game from Smith/Gamby/Edward-With-An-H
At some point, Campbell will spark. He was showing signs out in Omaha.
Go Riverhawks!

UMLFan
11-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Lowell cleans up on the AE Awards (http://goriverhawks.com/news/2016/11/4/mens-soccer-no-13-river-hawks-take-home-five-major-america-east-awards.aspx), winning five of the six AE Men's Soccer Awards.

Well done.

Also, three players on the All-Rookie team, a good sign for the future.

Patman
11-04-2016, 01:42 PM
On the basketball message board I said something similar but was corrected. I guess most schools have to have all sports wait 4 years, Lowell was a special case because of hockey plus title IX. Never really dug into it personally.

Title ix is about warm bodies and funding.

chiefs11
11-04-2016, 02:05 PM
Wall in tonight?
Go Riverhawks!
Need more lines to pick it up Joe's last year the glue on team 😪😪😪

boblav1
11-04-2016, 03:32 PM
Wall in tonight?
Go Riverhawks!

They need to stay out of the box and play a solid 60 minutes. Get the puck to the net and score so dirty goals.

UMLFan
11-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Big two games ... UVM is feeling good. Time to put them back in their place.