Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
    If a game has unlimited overtime, then the end result stands. They don't count conference playoff games as ties if they go into extended overtime, so it doesn't make sense for other games with the same format.
    Thanks.
    I thought our guys competed hard and you have to give WMU credit they have a lot of talent. We have to do some soul searching on how to get better looks in an environment like that.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Both the Detroit News and Free Press indicated an official tie, with extended OT for tourney purposes?

Which is it actually?

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
        If a game has unlimited overtime, then the end result stands. They don't count conference playoff games as ties if they go into extended overtime, so it doesn't make sense for other games with the same format.
        The Western SID said it counts as a tie after the five minutes
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Here is what the NCAA rulebook says about tournament overtime:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/IH18.pdf

Rule 91 - Tied Games
          91.1 Tied Games - If the score is tied at the end of three regulation 20-minute
          periods, the following shall take place (Exception: See 91.3):
          1. There shall be a two-minute intermission.
          2. The teams shall change ends at the end of each period.
          3. A five-minute period shall be played.
          4. The team that scores first wins and the game is ended. If a goal is not
          scored in the five-minute period, the game shall be declared a tie.
          5. By conference policy or mutual consent of the participating teams,
          4-on-4 is an approved way to play the five-minute overtime period.
          6. By conference policy, a five-minute, 3-on-3 overtime may be played,
          followed by a sudden-death shootout, may be used.
          If either team declines to play in the necessary overtime period, the game
          shall be declared a loss for that team.
          91.4 Tied Games - Tournament Competition - Where advancement in a
          bracket or the determination of a tournament champion is necessary, any
          series in a format (e.g., single game, minigame series) that results in a tie
          shall be broken by 20-minute, sudden-death overtime periods (Exception:
          See 91.3). The ice shall be resurfaced upon completion of regulation play.
          The teams shall change ends at the end of each period (except as indicated
          in Rule 90.2). In each overtime, at the first stoppage of play under the ten
          minute mark, an ice maintenance timeout of one-minute in duration will
          be administered. Teams may return to their benches at this time. Thirdplace
          games may follow the overtime procedures as described in Rule 91.
          Note: A tied game in a minigame series must use a five-minute overtime period.
          If the series is tied after the second game, a 20-minute minigame will be played after
          an intermission period. See Appendix A for complete procedures.
          Boys, I think it's a loss for MTU and a win for WMU. It looks like Rule 91.4 provides for a 20-minute overtime instead of the five minute variety outlined in 91.1.
          Last edited by Hammer; 12-31-2016, 11:12 AM.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            Here is what the NCAA rulebook says about tournament overtime:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/IH18.pdf

Boys, I think it's a loss for MTU and a win for WMU. It looks like Rule 91.4 provides for a 20-minute overtime instead of the five minute variety outlined in 91.1.
            It always has been in the past, even when it went to multiple overtimes.
            2005-2006: 7-25-6
            2006-2007: 18-17-5
            2007-2008: 14-20-5
            2008-2009: 6-25-7
            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Yeah, it's a loss. Not sure why this is being questioned.

Comment

IMHO In order to have the success in the upper echelon they are going to have to put together 1 dominant, go to offensive line. Maybe not used all the time but when you need a goal or two. Maybe to get up early in a game.
                Tech has 4 good lines that are somewhat equal. They need at least 1 great line. I feel maybe Heinonen and LEsperance together with a strong offensive center, Luchinni or Smith? I also think moving Lesperance to center with Heinonen and Sturos on wings would be a phenomenal line. Maybe have to put a couple stay at home guys on the blue line but I would like to see what they could do together. Lesperance has been taking a lot of draws and is 3rd in WCHA in face off percentage. (smaller sample size)Just behind Smith. They've got to try something to spark some offense.
                Last edited by rustedblades; 12-31-2016, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                  IMHO In order to have the success in the upper echelon they are going to have to put together 1 dominant, go to offensive line. Maybe not used all the time but when you need a goal or two. Maybe to get up early in a game.
                  Tech has 4 good lines that are somewhat equal. They need at least 1 great line. I feel maybe Heinonen and LEsperance together with a strong offensive center, Luchinni or Smith? I also think moving Lesperance to center with Heinonen and Sturos on wings would be a phenomenal line. Maybe have to put a couple stay at home guys on the blue line but I would like to see what they could do together. Lesperance has been taking a lot of draws and is 3rd in WCHA in face off percentage. (smaller sample size)Just behind Smith. They've got to try something to spark some offense.
                  I was thinking similar, but maybe you put Heinonen, L'esperance and someone else. But I think more than that, last night was more about finding a way through the system. If you noticed the Wmu timeout was right after two consecutive Tech odd man rushes.
                  I think Wmu played above their mean game last night, compared to the other games i've seen them this year.I thought Gould had our best chance, in the middle of the second, but we were slow to move the puck to someone new all night, and moving it was more difficult than usual.
                  We are a much improved team over early in the year but we can be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                    In fairness to Tyler he needs to be the finisher, I can count on one hand how many times he has been setup for his shot. Just my opinion, but we need to take our guys with offensive upside, put them together and form 2 scoring lines. Should have shortened the bench in OT, probably should have went 3 lines max tonight in OT.

Heinonen Lucchini Jackson
                    Gould Smith L' Esperance
                    Gillies Steman GerrIe
                    Beretta Neville Sturos

Time to give Pedersen, Brice, and Anderson a look.

So disappointing to miss an opportunity, but Western was flying through the neutral zone all night, The Tech D and Beef are to be commended.
                    When was the last time MTU Huskies scored a power play goal? I believe someone said back in November. You have arguably one of the best play makers in the Alberta Junior Hockey League, Erik Pedersen, 50 assists in 47 games last season, sitting in the stands. Mel says he's close, why not give him a shot? What have they got to lose?

Comment

Originally posted by knuckles View Post
                      When was the last time MTU Huskies scored a power play goal? I believe someone said back in November. You have arguably one of the best play makers in the Alberta Junior Hockey League, Erik Pedersen, 50 assists in 47 games last season, sitting in the stands. Mel says he's close, why not give him a shot? What have they got to lose?
                      I trust Mel's assessment but they are definitely hurting without Baltus, Steman, and now Reinke.

Evan Anderson isn't getting playing time either and put up 50 points in his last season in the BCHL.
                      Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 12-31-2016, 07:43 PM.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by knuckles View Post
                        Unfortunately junior success doesn't always translate to the college game. Like Shirtless says the coach has been pretty good at judging a players readiness. I'm sure if he felt Pedersen could replace one of the existing guys he'd be in.

Comment

Yep, it was November - the Friday game at UAF.

I can't figure it out either. It's time to shake-up the 1st and 2nd PP units. I agree Steman is a sizable loss, but someone has to step up.

Comment

Is it too early to get excited about watching the Huskies on TV two weeks in a row (with the sound off and Dirk keeping me company, of course)? Two independent sources indicate the ND series will be on NBCSN.

Comment

Originally posted by foser View Post
                              Is it too early to get excited about watching the Huskies on TV two weeks in a row (with the sound off and Dirk keeping me company, of course)? Two independent sources indicate the ND series will be on NBCSN.
                              That'll be great, as long as they win.

Comment

Interesting article from Brad Schlossmann about fighting.
                                http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...following-suit

Comment

Working...
                                X