Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MICHIGAN TECH.... 2016-17 season. The 96th season of Hockey.

Regardless of the game outcome last night, 3v3 college hockey is one of the dumbest recent additions. It sucks in the NHL with some of the most talented players in the world and it is even worse in college. It has nothing to do with real hockey and can go the way of the Dodo in my opinion.

Hopefully Tech can start putting some pucks in the net before Redmen starts to feel too much pressure to win 2-1 and 1-0 games. Beef lets only two pucks past him all night in a 70+ minute game and takes a loss. You really can't fault him for last night's loss.
    Ryan
    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 11-20-2016, 06:19 PM.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      well two in a row?!. I'm going to have to revamp my expectations of what Tech will do by the end of the year.
      I think this is the first game in 5 years of coaching that Coach Mel missed the after game interview. I hope that is not anything to worry about.
      And might we see someone else in goal in Fairbanks. ?

I thought face-offs were a big problem in both these games. Especially the important ones we almost always lost.

JJ, I told you so.

Also, let's say jj that tech plays 750 hockey the rest of the way. Not likely but possible. that's 13.5 wins. And let's say bemidji plays 600 hockey. Below what they have done so far. That means a 10 point Tech advantage through the final games. Not enough to catch up. We need 14 points to tie and 15 to win. And that's if they play 600. In other words we'd have to win all but one game. ( I think) unless they fall apart. Second, we have a real tough ride home, then it's a pretty short week and we hop a bus to Bemidji for two. I'm not seeing a sweep..unless it's Bemidji that does the sweeping.
      And don't look now but BGSU is 6 points behind us with 2 games in hand.
      I wouldn't be looking that far ahead in the season just yet. Bemidji is playing very well right now, but it seems hard for me to believe they can keep this pace throughout the rest of the season, possible but not probable. I believe I heard UAA took Bemidji into OT earlier this season, only to lose the game. Any team in the league can beat anyone on any given weekend. We wanted 6 and got 4 points out of it. UAA is desperate for wins and had some pride to play for.
      It wasn't that many years ago we were getting 5 or so wins a season.
      We aren't on a bus after the Alaska series, we play Bemidji at home. Hope you can make it to the games. Should be a good series in early December.
      MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
      2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
        I wouldn't be looking that far ahead in the season just yet. Bemidji is playing very well right now, but it seems hard for me to believe they can keep this pace throughout the rest of the season, possible but not probable. I believe I heard UAA took Bemidji into OT earlier this season, only to lose the game. Any team in the league can beat anyone on any given weekend. We wanted 6 and got 4 points out of it. UAA is desperate for wins and had some pride to play for.
        We aren't on a bus after the Alaska series, we play Bemidji at home. Hope you can make it to the games. Should be a good series in early December.
        Remember a couple years ago when we started 10-0 out of the gate, and ended up finishing behind Mankato?

Bemidji will cool off - the extent of that cool down remains to be seen. Regardless, outcomes like last night's aren't going to help us.

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
          Unless he is talking about the 2nd half when Tech plays in Huntsville the last weekend of January and then goes to Bemidji the first weekend of February.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
            Unless he is talking about the 2nd half when Tech plays in Huntsville the last weekend of January and then goes to Bemidji the first weekend of February.
            No I just ffed up. my bad. And I'm sure Bemidji will cool off, that's why I said 600 hockey. vs the 900 they are playing now. I think it could be done, but I also think we need some help. And we have to play a lot better and more consistent hockey.
            I agree the first UAA goal on saturday was pretty soft.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Hey guys, found this thread in my random travels in the interwebs and realized I'd stumbled into a room full of people who love Tech hockey as much as I do!

I live in Alaska now and was at the games over the weekend. I too missed the hit on Mason since it happened away from the play a bit, but I have little doubt he was concussed. The look on his face as he got to the bench was pretty unmistakable. It's hard to understand how the boys can beat the Seawolves 11-1 a couple of years ago and then two years in a row have so much trouble with them. I dont think UAA has improved that much... Mantha played out of his head at times and that kept the games closer than they should have been. It seemed to me that the unrelenting forecheck Tech has been using was absent a little bit this weekend...that and alot of sloppy passing and passes into coverage gave UAA a shot at both games.

Trying to decide if I should make the 5 hour drive north to Fairbanks this weekend......

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
                It seemed to me that the unrelenting forecheck Tech has been using was absent a little bit this weekend...
                I was thinking the same thing. It seems like the games Tech struggles in are the ones that they play a more defensive style. 2 forwards high, usually outside the Zone and only one forechecking. UAA on the other hand was smothering on the forecheck. Seems like there was 2 or 3 guys attacking the puck
                Should have created a lot of opportunities to stretch the ice but we have guys that want to hang on to the puck until they are in trouble which I believe resulted in the bad and forced passes everyone noticed. Immediate puck movement would have pushed UAA back. Might also help to stop the passes to wingers standing still along the boards; could never understand that breakout yet it seems to be what the coach wants

Comment

Yea, I noticed a lot of hard to handle passes coming to the wingers standing on the boards. Those are tough to get a hold of and you sure don't have much time to move it. I also agree that sometimes certain players hold the puck too long when they have opportunities to pass or even get a shot on net, but I thought overall Tech played OK and that UAA played really well at times. Tech just didnt seem to have the same jump that as previous weekends. Hopefully they get it turned on for the UAF series...

Can anyone tell me who the young man (a trainer?) on Tech's bench this weekend in Anchorage was? Young enough to be a player, wasn't sure if he was a former player or current player? Just curious his name, he came over and gave my daughter a puck Friday night and I didn't get a chance to find out who he was or thank him.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
                    Can anyone tell me who the young man (a trainer?) on Tech's bench this weekend in Anchorage was? Young enough to be a player, wasn't sure if he was a former player or current player? Just curious his name, he came over and gave my daughter a puck Friday night and I didn't get a chance to find out who he was or thank him.
                    Tyler Shelast, I'm guessing - the chief sniper in my day. He's the trainer now.

Comment

Thanks FtB&G, I googled Tyler and it wasn't him. Younger and slighter build. Not as if it's a big deal, but he looked familiar and it was bugging me...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post

I'm guessing it was either Brian Brewster or Matt Sanregret.

Comment

Thanks JJM, it was Matt.

Comment

Part two of my Recruiting Ground series is out today, this time I discuss the BCHL. A league many of us are familiar with since almost every D1 team has a player from the BCHL on their roster:
                            Recruiting Grounds: BCHL
                            Check it out
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              Part two of my Recruiting Ground series is out today, this time I discuss the BCHL. A league many of us are familiar with since almost every D1 team has a player from the BCHL on their roster:
                              Recruiting Grounds: BCHL
                              Check it out
                              This is very good work.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

what's with this feed from UAF? It's like watching thru an Aldis lamp.

Comment

Working...
                                X