Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2016-2017 Season Thread

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    recruited seems like a bit of a troll. maybe has some relation to Campoli.
    Check the posting history.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Wondering what everyone thinks of this recent turn to Finland for recruits. Certainly a bit different now that Parker is gone and Quinn is recruiting circles around BC in North America.
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Just get the best possible talent you can. All I care about. Tolvanen is ranked higher than anyone BU has coming in next year, so if you can get to a point where Finnish prospects are comfortable coming to BC...can only help.

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
          Really? I just checked and I'm seeing them as 10th, not 1st?

20 Boston College .5326 .5326 .0036 .5362 18-13-4 .5710 24 .5198 10

(My system wouldn't let me post the column headings, sorry; last column is SOS rank)
          I said the toughest of all "hockey east schools". The nacho has the toughest overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
            And for the record, anyone referring to the man who is the all time NCAA wins leader with 5 National Championships at two different schools, and led a BC program in utter disarray to 4 National Championships is [I]per se[I] ridiculous.
            What have you done for me lately Jerry?

Why did they not win the big games last year when they had all their studds? They should have won a national championship last year - or at the very least - been in the final.
            The thinking needs to be revised. Why are they losing all the recruiting battles to BU?

The program is and has been succesful - but it needs to keep moving forward.

Comment

Just get the best possible talent you can. All I care about. Tolvanen is ranked higher than anyone BU has coming in next year, so if you can get to a point where Finnish prospects are comfortable coming to BC...can only help.
              There may be a problem getting him into the school next year. Academics....

Comment

• Originally posted by recruited View Post
                What have you done for me lately Jerry?.
                Frozen four last year. Maybe your son didn't enroll yet, but that's fairly recent
                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                  Frozen four last year. Maybe your son didn't enroll yet, but that's fairly recent
                  amazing isn't it. guess a 5 year national title drought is simply unacceptable. even when there were 2 FF appearances in that time.

Comment

Quinnipiac was a **** good team last year and it was a toss up of a game. I can't really get on them too much for losing that one. Nearly tied it at the end.

Comment

As for losing the recruiting battles, that is the one area where I say ok, York's age is working against him. I do think the age difference between Quinn and York is a huge reason why BU is winning those battles. It's why I am curious what they are telling recruits. Are they telling them that Greg Brown is the coach in waiting? Because that would certainly help. If they aren't doing that and Greg Brown is not necessarily the coach in waiting, then you can run into recruiting losses.

Comment

recruited seems like a bit of a troll. doesn't like Luke McInnis, maybe has some relation to Campoli.

There shouldn't even be hesitation. Calling York overrated is one of the dumbest takes I have ever seen on here. In league play, the team has performed above what was expected of them this year and somehow there are people calling York overrated. It's truly stupid.
                        You sound like Trump supporter. Thats dumb

Comment

I sound like a Trump supporter. OK then.

Comment

A great, legendary HC is only as good as his assistants. York was at his best w/ Cav as his right-hand man. I'm not sure if Brown nor McInnis have "it" from a coaching and recruiting standpoint compared to Cav.

It's somewhat similar to BU during Parker's final years. When Quinn left in 2009 and Parker promoted Bavis and hired Buddy Powers, recruiting, coaching and player development were all impacted. For as loyal as Bavis was to BU, he lacked the "it" factor that Quinn has and unfortunately hasn't had a steady coaching gig since departing BU. Powers was a strange hire given his age and the # of years he'd been away from coaching.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few years. Will BC become what BU was for much of the 2000s? Or will they be able to sustain the incredibly high standard that they've set?
                            Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 02-24-2017, 11:03 AM.

Comment

One of the more common themes that I've touched on over here is the lack of identity that the BC teams have not been able to form the past few years.

We went from a program that loaded up on speed and skill, regardless of size, and would skate circles around teams and win national titles and HE titles to ??????. What exactly are we trying to do here again? Those kids also stayed 3-4 years. Now we just go after the mercs and watch the door constantly revolve. I'm ok if we want to go with bigger, overaged kids (prefer not but let's beat the QPac and Lowells at their own game and force them to keep adjusting) and do what say Bazin is doing. They are so gd good at what they do. They have an identity and stick to it and win a lot of games with it. They are tough to play against every night. BC was tough to play against in other ways ... and had discipline. Not any more. They get pushed around. They get beaten to pucks. They lose battles. They have zero guys that can take over a game on this roster. Pretty rare to say that and when you would say that, it was usually a roster that was absolutely loaded up and down with skill in quantity that made up for it.

Lately it just seems like they recruit a mixed bag of kids, thrown them on the ice together, it looks like they don't even practice together (ahem... last night) and of course based on skill alone they will win some games but come tournament time you need to have an identity and have things figured out. They stopped winning postseason tournaments when they got away from what they did. That was BC's identity and they won with it. Now.... our identity is a coach with an eye-patch coaching teams that are pushovers in the tournaments.

For a program that didn't do all that well garnering RS titles but was built for the post-season for a long time, they have reversed course and now have done well in the RS with rosters that simply won't cut it over a stretch of games vs tough tournament teams come March and April.

Comment

Brown and Ayers are well regarded and I'd be concerned if this were happening say 10 years ago when York was around 60. But at age 70 or whatever he is, I don't anticipate him coaching too much longer. Where as with BU, they underachieved for a much longer stretch under Parker.

Comment

Working...
                                X