PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

jcarter7669
01-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Was there anybody that saw last place?

See Hockey East Preseason Thread...

" If Ruck has a Soph slump they could be behind UMO. "

HHound
01-17-2017, 12:24 PM
Just curious where you got this because my information is quite different. He may be on a 2/4 deal but he definitely is part of the 18 player formula.
It came from the folks who make these decisions. Perhaps Theut has subsequently earned a partial as the team needs a practice goalie. Frye had aged out of juniors and was, AFAIK recruited walk-on. It's entirely possible that either or both of these guys have financial aid - instead of scholarship $. Keeping your kid outfitted with goalie equipment can quickly help a family to qualify for aid:( . IIRC if a player gets financial aid, there are severe limits on the amount of scholarship $ he may receive (and vice versa).

Gr8Sk8M8
01-17-2017, 04:08 PM
It came from the folks who make these decisions.

As was mine...I'm looking for an opening to update my information base...

Gr8Sk8M8
01-17-2017, 04:22 PM
IIRC if a player gets financial aid, there are severe limits on the amount of scholarship $ he may receive (and vice versa).

You are correct...any scholarship funds, i.e. in kind grants for tuition, books and housing that he receives goes 1-1 against the team's scholarship allocation. I believe that the NCAA recently carved out an exception for food and, possibly, some personal items...i.e. a program can use funds to feed its players for the semester without it counting against their scholarship, pool...

Federal and State awarded aid is exempt...

NU_Husky
01-18-2017, 08:10 AM
I make the case for ZAR to be among those in the Hobey Baker race
http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/2016/zach-aston-reese-success-competition-hockey-east-northeastern-huskies-hobey-baker-tyler-kelleher-mike-vecchione/

Gr8Sk8M8
01-18-2017, 11:32 AM
I make the case for ZAR to be among those in the Hobey Baker race
http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/2016/zach-aston-reese-success-competition-hockey-east-northeastern-huskies-hobey-baker-tyler-kelleher-mike-vecchione/

Thanks...great case...I watch/see a lot of hockey and there are none in the Top (next) 5 NCAA players that play the 200' game as well as he does against the best competition in college hockey - that he scores is also a compelling factor and had I a vote he'd get it.

That said, I'd be very surprised if they awarded it to a Boston area player for the 4th year in a row and to a program that isn't having that great of a year.

Gr8Sk8M8
01-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Pecararo update is that the NCAA is still waiting for his Fall transcripts - apparently the holdup on this is one instructor. He is registered and attending classes.

The source of the above information further avers that all three goalies are receiving some amount of scholarship money.

Split-N
01-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Pecararo update is that the NCAA is still waiting for his Fall transcripts - apparently the holdup on this is one instructor....

Presumably, it's a Northeastern instructor that's holding this up. If so, then somebody in the administration ought to have enough clout to get this person off his/her butt and do what he/she gets paid to do, which (I think) includes reporting grades in a timely manner.

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
01-18-2017, 02:06 PM
Presumably, it's a Northeastern instructor that's holding this up. If so, then somebody in the administration ought to have enough clout to get this person off his/her butt and do what he/she gets paid to do, which (I think) includes reporting grades in a timely manner.

It is not a Northeastern professor. He had to take classes at a CC which is why he didn't enroll until Dec.

beanstalk
01-18-2017, 02:07 PM
Thanks...great case...I watch/see a lot of hockey and there are none in the Top (next) 5 NCAA players that play the 200' game as well as he does against the best competition in college hockey - that he scores is also a compelling factor and had I a vote he'd get it.

That said, I'd be very surprised if they awarded it to a Boston area player for the 4th year in a row and to a program that isn't having that great of a year.

Thanks for bringing up the other elements of his game. ZAR has more hits in an average game than the other kids have the entire season. He is fun to watch (and a beast to play against) even when he doesn't have the puck.

And, although he plays for a Boston team, he is not from Mass, like Vecchione and Kelleher. He's from the hockey hotbed of Staten Island, NY, land of NYC firefighters, NYC cops and NYC gangsters. But you raise a valid point. I wonder if these guys will split the Northeast vote and somebody from out west will swoop in and steal it.

Gr8Sk8M8
01-18-2017, 02:35 PM
It is not a Northeastern professor. He had to take classes at a CC which is why he didn't enroll until Dec.

Correct.

Split-N
01-18-2017, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the clarification. BTW, I have a buddy named Guido who is good at making things happen. :cool:

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
01-18-2017, 11:57 PM
Write-up on recruit Neil Shea after his team's 6-3 win over Milton Academy on Wednesday:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2017/1/18/14294054/prep-game-report-lawrence-academy-at-milton-academy-2017-nhl-draft-prospects-neil-shea-jack-cameron

Gr8Sk8M8
01-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Write-up on recruit Neil Shea after his team's 6-3 win over Milton Academy on Wednesday:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2017/1/18/14294054/prep-game-report-lawrence-academy-at-milton-academy-2017-nhl-draft-prospects-neil-shea-jack-cameron

Thanks...MN HS hockey getting a lot of love from NHLCS...

HHound
01-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Pecararo update is that the NCAA is still waiting for his Fall transcripts - apparently the holdup on this is one instructor. He is registered and attending classes.

The source of the above information further avers that all three goalies are receiving some amount of scholarship money.

You are correct about Pecararo. Apparently someone has dug in his heels. The kid has an associate degree, but apparently that is not enough to satisfy the NC$$ byzantine requirements.. I'm afraid that we'll see Nolan and Jozefek on the ice before we see Liam.

Perhaps your source about the goalies' scholarships meant well, but he/she is mistaken - plain and simple. Theut and Frye were invited to join the team as backup goalies and were offered a chance to develop their skills and play the odd game. They did not receive scholarship $. Cayden Primeau is a scholarship goalie and has been committed for several years.

BTW, You mentioned that you are on one of the University's boards. I am as well, and have been on several others in the past. If you don't mind sharing, which one are you involved with? Our paths may have crossed.

Gr8Sk8M8
01-19-2017, 03:48 PM
BTW, You mentioned that you are on one of the University's boards. I am as well, and have been on several others in the past. If you don't mind sharing, which one are you involved with? Our paths may have crossed.

I am not. If I gave that impression I apologize. I am an alum...JD and a couple odd LLMs since the early 80's but I'm semi retired from private practice and have been focused on my duties as counsel to a business partnership that I formed in 2007 with some of my fellow Canadian ex-pats...that may help you but my preference is to be anonymous here...

We probably have crossed paths as I have been a season ticket holder and a booster.

Gr8Sk8M8
01-19-2017, 03:53 PM
Perhaps your source about the goalies' scholarships meant well, but he/she is mistaken - plain and simple.

It's all good. One of my favorite sayings is "I'm only as good as the information I've been given..."

RENCEB
01-20-2017, 09:02 AM
So, what are the NU faithful's expectation for the weekend series against Merrimack? Figured I'd try your thread since the both of us on the Merrimack thread would not have much of a discussion!
I'm thinking they split. NU offense rolls at Matthews, but MC come back to win a tight one at Lawler. Ruck has been spotty, and MC's goaltending has been trick-or-treat at best.

Split-N
01-20-2017, 09:10 AM
...Ruck has been spotty, and MC's goaltending has been trick-or-treat at best.

You nailed it. Which ever team gets the better goaltending wins. Simple as that. And for NU, some production from the 3rd and/or 4th lines wouldn't hurt.

northeastern
01-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Huskies played well for 2.9 periods up at UNH until they didnt. Given the ice at Frozen Fenway, i'd say team played well enough there as well.

I think if they play a full 60 minutes (D included) & Ruck can have decent rebound control.. i like their chances both games this wknd. Not a knock on Merrimack at all.. just think we're due some points. Here's hoping

Go Huskies :)