PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

northeastern
01-03-2017, 09:30 PM
sounds like a tough outing for Ruck letting in 5 tonight.. would love to hear from someone who heard/ saw the gm. Any softies.. did D lv him out there

congrats to Yale on the (sounds like) hard fought W.

Vermont will be a big big test.

LTsatch
01-03-2017, 10:12 PM
sounds like a tough outing for Ruck letting in 5 tonight.. would love to hear from someone who heard/ saw the gm. Any softies.. did D lv him out there

Vermont will be a big big test.
Was at the game, three of the goals were high snipes, other two no chance. Not really a defensive lapse, just very hard shots, the DiChiara goal might be the only one that was iffy. Great hard fought game, I think Yales forward depth and forechecking made the difference.

TheRevengeance
01-03-2017, 10:20 PM
First goal was a muck in front, whatever. Second was a nice pass to the slot, third was bar down, fourth was pretty bad on a puck he didn't track, fifth was both bar down again and another puck he didn't track. Only one real awful goal, but he went down super early on goal 3 and went down for an initial shot then never recovered after it got blocked on goal 5. Not the worst game he's ever played, but very Ruck-esque.

northeastern
01-03-2017, 11:15 PM
Was at the game, three of the goals were high snipes, other two no chance. Not really a defensive lapse, just very hard shots, the DiChiara goal might be the only one that was iffy. Great hard fought game, I think Yales forward depth and forechecking made the difference.

thx for your take. sounds about like what our G weakness this yr has been. we lost to BC 2-1 in the last seconds of the gm.. on a 'bar down' from (seemed like the blue line).. in the waning ticks. He is def a ? in goal this yr. hoping for the best going into our remaining HE games.

First goal was a muck in front, whatever. Second was a nice pass to the slot, third was bar down, fourth was pretty bad on a puck he didn't track, fifth was both bar down again and another puck he didn't track. Only one real awful goal, but he went down super early on goal 3 and went down for an initial shot then never recovered after it got blocked on goal 5. Not the worst game he's ever played, but very Ruck-esque.

thanks. Do you think Theut would have fared better? I have only seen him once (personally) this season in the Notre Dame gm (that ended up being a 2-2 tie at the end).. but he played & looked very poised and solid in the little I did see him. Must be something the Coaches see in practice.. otherwise I'd think least give the kid a chance.
Does not look like we will be making close to a run like last season. Would be nice to see some improvement in goal.. not saying tonight is completely Ruck's fault but hoping for some spark going against a solid UVM team. G'luck Huskies!

TheRevengeance
01-04-2017, 02:27 AM
Meh. I've come to accept that if Ruck is still starting at this point, there has to be a reason for it. I'd rather start the better goalie than make a change for the sake of making a change. Ruck is bad, but how bad Ruck is has no bearing on whether Theut is worse. We basically have one backup goalie and two third goalies on our roster. Blame the coaches for not fixing it back when Rawlings was here or when Witt was here, but we weren't getting Joe Woll or Jake Oettinger to come in for one year when they know Primeau is coming right around the corner.

Having said that, if we could have just recruited someone Vogler/Tirone/Nichols level instead of Derick Roy level, this would be a completely different season.

scorer
01-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Having said that, if we could have just recruited someone Vogler/Tirone/Nichols level instead of Derick Roy level, this would be a completely different season.

It always seemed to me that Derick was not actually recruited. They recruited Kevin Roy and were “encouraged” to take his brother Derick as well - a package deal.

Gr8Sk8M8
01-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Thanks!

Is there an ETA on his joining the line up?

(One of my colleagues is an extended family member of his and has been wondering when/if he'll play.)

IN theory, he could have played against MSU...I don't know what the hold up is...my guess it's just the NCAA being *anal*...

Gr8Sk8M8
01-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Yale preview: http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/2016/preview-yale-bulldogs-hockey-northeastern-huskies-ingalls-rink/

I was wondering about Pec myself, and why if there is a "hitch" it would take until now to resolve. Hopefully it's quick and easy and he can get some games in under his belt before the Beanpot. Speaking of, based on GSM's outline below that puts Nolan returning the last couple days of January, giving him ~ a week to prepare for the Beanpot, with 2 games in there. So Nolan can work some rust off too

There have been holdups on other players, one who is currently rostered, in fact...but because they weren't mid-year transfers there was no publicity...back in 2013, one current player wasn't certified until a few days before the semester started...

Gr8Sk8M8
01-04-2017, 11:58 AM
sounds like a tough outing for Ruck letting in 5 tonight.. would love to hear from someone who heard/ saw the gm. Any softies.. did D lv him out there..

He fought the puck all night - literally from the first shot - and his uncanny ability to make himself small in the net and give up potentially disastrous rebound after rebound was on full display.

Yale played a very basic and un**** game and it worked for them.

Truth be told, we were pretty uninspired for most of the game. Certainly not an effort that was worth the trip down in the rain to sit in a cold rink.

Gr8Sk8M8
01-04-2017, 12:08 PM
It always seemed to me that Derick was not actually recruited. They recruited Kevin Roy and were “encouraged” to take his brother Derick as well - a package deal.

It was a package deal. At some point in 2011-12 season, Brown let it be know that they wouldn't roster him let alone admit him, which is when Keefe went to work...he had recruited the Roys to Brown and the switch to NU was done.

I'll never understand how they could blow the Gilles deal and how they can not see how that affected their recruiting...

Gr8Sk8M8
01-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Fifth goal we had a chance to clear and someone, not sure who, whiffed on the puck. I thought that all of the goals were pretty weak...he's down too soon which limits his options while increasing the options that the shooters have.

The "theory" of goaltending is rather simple...the less net you show the less likely a goal is going to be scored...he shows far too much net...

Gr8Sk8M8
01-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Do you think Theut would have fared better?

Theut is not up to the level...he plays too deep and is too slow...

TheRevengeance
01-04-2017, 03:45 PM

Yet he would seemingly have been, at very worst, the second best of our four goalies had he returned for his fifth year. For some reason we're incapable of recruiting competent goalies to back up (and sometimes to start)

HHound
01-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Yet he would seemingly have been, at very worst, the second best of our four goalies had he returned for his fifth year. For some reason we're incapable of recruiting competent goalies to back up (and sometimes to start)

He had his degree and I can't imagine the coaching staff was encouraging him to go to grad school as they had counted on getting his full ride back to use on an incoming recruit.

TheRevengeance
01-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Oh I completely agree with not having him back, I'm just saying the kid who we didn't really want and took on just to get his brother in the fold is better than 2-3 of our actual recruited goalies. Even if 2 of them aren't on scholarship.

Thiessen'sBetter
01-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Meh. I've come to accept that if Ruck is still starting at this point, there has to be a reason for it. I'd rather start the better goalie than make a change for the sake of making a change. Ruck is bad, but how bad Ruck is has no bearing on whether Theut is worse. We basically have one backup goalie and two third goalies on our roster. Blame the coaches for not fixing it back when Rawlings was here or when Witt was here, but we weren't getting Joe Woll or Jake Oettinger to come in for one year when they know Primeau is coming right around the corner.

Recruiting an above average goalie is a box that JM hasn't checked yet. Hopefully Primeau checks off that box. JM has obviously done well recruiting forwards, he has 2 d-man recruits in the NHL and some young talent on the current roster but in net its been a big bag of suck. It certainly seemed like Cro had more of a plan in place regarding his goaltenders. Thiessen>Rawlings>Witt>Gillies. Obviously the Rawlings plan didn't quite work on like Cronin had hoped, but it was a plan and Rawlings played a ton of games. He didn't go into the season (not including his first year, thanks Crowder) starting a guy like DRoy like we did last year.

northeastern
01-04-2017, 08:44 PM
In other news.. reading nhl news.. former Husky Anthony Bitteto called up to the Preds from his conditioning assignment with Milwaukee.. goodluck to him.

northeastern
01-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Safe travels NU. Go Huskies!

NU_Husky
01-07-2017, 03:04 PM
UVM streams games for free and IIRC the quality is actually pretty good. Link here: http://www.nsnsports.net/colleges/university-of-vermont/

northeastern
01-07-2017, 03:21 PM
UVM streams games for free and IIRC the quality is actually pretty good. Link here: http://www.nsnsports.net/colleges/university-of-vermont/

thank you!